Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Barry

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
A relation of mine worked at American Express so I know who it is, but data protection and all that etc etc

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know you will not say, but if I had a guess it would be Kenny Sansom.

You're closer in era that Carlton Palmer but still not going to say.

For all I know, there could be dozens of footballers in the reject pile - they weren't paid the mega salaries players are on now

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree with the vast majority of what you post on here Harry Wilson's Tackle but you're off the mark this time. Gareth Albert Barry has done so much for local football that it would be wrong for us as a club not to offer him our gratitude this coming Saturday with spontanious applause. From Battle to the Bernabeu - quite a story. One that will be told locally for centuries to come no doubt.

If I have missed something here I apologise. I had not heard he'd set foot in Sussex since he left. I assumed the eulogies was facetiousness.

I'm going to get whooshed now, aren't I.....:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If I have missed something here I apologise. I had not heard he'd set foot in Sussex since he left. I assumed the eulogies was facetiousness.

Writing Barry out of Brighton history just like his Uncle Dick? Shame on you :wink:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Apology accepted. It takes a real man to admit he is completely wrong. I doff my cap in your direction. If Gareth is reading this thread, you are always in our thoughts. From attending William Parker to being in the presence of Prince William. Quite a journey.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Apology accepted. It takes a real man to admit he is completely wrong. I doff my cap in your direction. If Gareth is reading this thread, you are always in our thoughts. From attending William Parker to being in the presence of Prince William. Quite a journey.

If!? GB is a regular poster on here, but does it in a parody fashion...... GB/BG.......:whistle:

I've heard rumour that GB has a martlets tattoo in a very personal place and does a rendition of Sussex by the Sea before every game. I'm sure he will have a tear in his eye when he hears it sung at the Amex tomorrow.

I think we should give him a minutes applause on 53 minutes to mark his England caps.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
If!? GB is a regular poster on here, but does it in a parody fashion...... GB/BG.......:whistle:

I've heard rumour that GB has a martlets tattoo in a very personal place and does a rendition of Sussex by the Sea before every game. I'm sure he will have a tear in his eye when he hears it sung at the Amex tomorrow.

I think we should give him a minutes applause on 53 minutes to mark his England caps.
53rd minute to mark his number of international caps. A splendid idea.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We made a few quid out of him not only in the fee when we sold him but there was a great clause about further percentages in further transfer fees that was unheard of at the time.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I don't know everything, but I know he still took an interest in the Albion - and in local football. I'll take this opportunity to tell my vaguely Gareth Barry-related story. (It's not that interesting, so feel free to skip).

I've never met him personally but he's a 'friend of a friend', and this friend would tell us what Barry was doing and about his trips back to Sussex. One day I got a call from this friend to say that Barry had been due to attend an Albion game as the guest of a sponsor, but was now unable to go. He'd offered my friend his ticket - but he couldn't go either so in turn he offered it to me. Always keen for a freebie I accepted. This was all very short-notice, it was an evening game and it was already about five o'clock, so my friend told me to go to the office (this was when we played at Withdean) and just ask for Gareth Barry's ticket.

Slightly dubious, and fully expecting to get turned away, I did this - and was quite surprised when, without any questions, I was handed an envelope with 'Gareth Barry' on it. (Inside was the usual gumph that you got as part of a matchday sponsorship package). I went into Hospitality, went into the lounge and found my table. This table contained I think four young boys who were all really excited about the fact they were going to meet England legend Gareth Barry, and whilst I was checking it was the right table I could hear them excitedly talking about him and what they were going to ask him.

Because it was late I was the last to arrive, so I plonked myself down on the one remaining seat. Everyone stared at me.
"Sorry," I said "Gareth can't make it so he said I could have his ticket."
I tell you, I have never seen such disappointment as I saw on those boys' faces that night. Still feel slightly bad about it now, even though it wasn't my fault.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't know everything, but I know he still took an interest in the Albion - and in local football. I'll take this opportunity to tell my vaguely Gareth Barry-related story. (It's not that interesting, so feel free to skip).

I've never met him personally but he's a 'friend of a friend', and this friend would tell us what Barry was doing and about his trips back to Sussex. One day I got a call from this friend to say that Barry had been due to attend an Albion game as the guest of a sponsor, but was now unable to go. He'd offered my friend his ticket - but he couldn't go either so in turn he offered it to me. Always keen for a freebie I accepted. This was all very short-notice, it was an evening game and it was already about five o'clock, so my friend told me to go to the office (this was when we played at Withdean) and just ask for Gareth Barry's ticket.

Slightly dubious, and fully expecting to get turned away, I did this - and was quite surprised when, without any questions, I was handed an envelope with 'Gareth Barry' on it. (Inside was the usual gumph that you got as part of a matchday sponsorship package). I went into Hospitality, went into the lounge and found my table. This table contained I think four young boys who were all really excited about the fact they were going to meet England legend Gareth Barry, and whilst I was checking it was the right table I could hear them excitedly talking about him and what they were going to ask him.

Because it was late I was the last to arrive, so I plonked myself down on the one remaining seat. Everyone stared at me.
I tell you, I have never seen such disappointment as I saw on those boys' faces that night. Still feel slightly bad about it now, even though it wasn't my fault.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Jokes, aside. In local Hastings football circles I've heard nothing but good things about him. Was quite often to be seen watching local grass roots kids football too.

Seems to be a decent bloke all round and good luck to him on what has been a long and successful career. Always nice to see a local lad do well for himself.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
There was an interview of him (TV or article, I can't remember) where he said he looks out for our results and wants us to do well.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I have just Laughed out loud at this story! Brilliant.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Jokes, aside. In local Hastings football circles I've heard nothing but good things about him. Was quite often to be seen watching local grass roots kids football too.

Seems to be a decent bloke all round and good luck to him on what has been a long and successful career. Always nice to see a local lad do well for himself.

He gave a sizeable donation to a East Sussex Football League/parks team a few years back for example, when they were redeveloping their club house.

He even used to still go out at night in Hastings when he broke into the Villa team as a kid - I was once behind him in a taxi queue in Hastings on a Saturday night and he'd played for Villa at Forest that afternoon in the late 90's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here