Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Barry

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
We made a few quid out of him not only in the fee when we sold him but there was a great clause about further percentages in further transfer fees that was unheard of at the time.

I think in the end we waived the sell on fee and accepted a lump sum in advance from Villa (this was after the Premier League re-routed some of Vila's Sky money straight to us after they failed to meet a payment criteria on the GB transfer) ..

Similar happened with Leeds and Mark Beeney.. we got X up front (which saved us from going under), and were due another amount after he'd played 50 games. Leeds paid us in advance over this, but he never actually reached 50 appearances! :lol:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I have missed something here I apologise. I had not heard he'd set foot in Sussex since he left. I assumed the eulogies was facetiousness.

I'm going to get whooshed now, aren't I.....:lolol:

He's certainly set foot in Sussex a few times. Michael Standing used to live in my road and he visited a few times. He was also once spotted in the New Inn (with Standing) and word went round the village faster than the co-op fire!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Assuming he plays tomorrow, he will be only one Premier League appearance behind Ryan Giggs who has made the most with 632.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Assuming he plays tomorrow, he will be only one Premier League appearance behind Ryan Giggs who has made the most with 632.

i was wondering if he was in the top few for appearances. local boy done well.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Blimey!, I know he's had a long career but didn't realise he'd quite reached those figures.

That's impressive by any measure!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Blimey!, I know he's had a long career but didn't realise he'd quite reached those figures.

That's impressive by any measure!
And he's done it without shagging his brothers(if he has one?) wife!

In fact, he's got to be one of the most squeaky clean players in premier league history.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I never understood how he couldn't get in a shite albion team circa 96/97 and yet a year later was playing regularly in the prem....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apology accepted. It takes a real man to admit he is completely wrong. I doff my cap in your direction. If Gareth is reading this thread, you are always in our thoughts. From attending William Parker to being in the presence of Prince William. Quite a journey.

I've been whooshed, haven't I.

I quite enjoyed it. :lolol:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Needs to meet uncle Dick in the centre circa for a photo onto which a seagull can be photoshopped

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thought he didn't have a good game at all. Didn't seem to get any stick or applause from our fans.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I never understood how he couldn't get in a shite albion team circa 96/97 and yet a year later was playing regularly in the prem....
Perhaps the team selection in 96/97 was one of the contributory factors to us being shite? Either that, or it just shows that our apparent reluctance* to call up youngsters and give them a chance is not a new thing.

* Yes, and before someone bursts in with a triumphant cry of 'What about Forster-Caskey?', yes, I do know that once in a blue moon we do give a youngster a chance - just generally the idea of doing it seems to be at the end of the ideas queue.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Perhaps the team selection in 96/97 was one of the contributory factors to us being shite? Either that, or it just shows that our apparent reluctance* to call up youngsters and give them a chance is not a new thing.

* Yes, and before someone bursts in with a triumphant cry of 'What about Forster-Caskey?', yes, I do know that once in a blue moon we do give a youngster a chance - just generally the idea of doing it seems to be at the end of the ideas queue.

Did he play?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

When I first read this, I thought you were being ironic (or something), but perhaps you were being serious.

He was only 16 when he left us.

As [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] correctly points out, he left Albion during his U-16 schoolboy season to join Villa on a scholarship. He had never played for the reserves and, as far as I know, hadn't even made the U-18 side. In fact, when he and Michael Standing both left to join Villa, it was Standing who was the more highly rated (and had 16 England schoolboy caps). Albion were fortunate that by the time the tribunal was held to decide what Villa should pay for the pair, Barry had become a fixture in the first team.

Whilst there may well be cause to criticise Albion about a reluctance to blood youngsters, the case of Barry doesn't provide it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here