Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

food- the perfect roast potato

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Semolina is the answer to crispy roasters. Sprinkle a bit on them when shaking them up after parboiling. Lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No one has mentioned a VERY hot oven. That is the key for me.

Definitely no need for flour or polenta. I par boil red potatoes (preferably red rooster) for five minutes; shake; roast at circa 240oC with sunflower oil and salt (goose fat reduces crispiness); turn them after half an hour adding rosemary and lots of whole garlic cloves.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Boil for abt 20 mins, drain and then transfer between saucepan and collander until they start to get a bit fluffed up round the edges. Then into the oven with oil and a bit of salt for about 1.5 hours - nice and crispy!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
how do you do yours?

Part boil spuds, in large chunks, for 15 mins (timed from cold), while heating oiled baking tins in the oven.

drain off water, transfer to oven tins, spray / baste with oil, heat for 30-40 mins.

= crunchy on outside, soft inside- gorgeous!
All of the above... but shake after boil.. and Use duck fat.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Definitely no need for flour or polenta. I par boil red potatoes (preferably red rooster) for five minutes; shake; roast at circa 240oC with sunflower oil and salt (goose fat reduces crispiness); turn them after half an hour adding rosemary and lots of whole garlic cloves.

Definitely, the icing on the cake, so to speak

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

I've always crushed the garlic and scattered over the spuds, will try the whole clove method next time I do a roast

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
A dusting....some say Semolina is even better

Semloina deffo but whilst you're giving them a shake in the saucepan a teaspoonful of Marmite to coat them lightly works for me as well as semolina.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Half way through roasting squash em down a bit to get more surface area crispy and randomly select a few to spread a little marmite on. Yeah

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Half way through roasting squash em down a bit to get more surface area crispy and randomly select a few to spread a little marmite on. Yeah

A bit of Sunday roast Russian Roulette for people who despise Marmite then.

Liking it.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mine aren't bad (I use goose fat for the Christmas dinner ones), but I've never quite managed to recreate the awesome flavour my late granny used to get out of them. I think, after parboiling, she used to roast them in the fat used to cook the joint of meat in. I've tried the same, but it still doesn't quite match up, to my eternal regret :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here