Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commonwealth Games - who cares???

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Love my running/athletics.

The best bit is its something you do for yourself. Running really well in a race is a such a great antidote to the helpless feeling you have when your team is playing s***e week after week!

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I have more interest in these games (comparing it to, say, the London Olympics, when I loved the whole event), than I would about any tennis event that's on, outside of Wimbledon. For me, tennis is only interesting for the biggee, I really don't care if Johanna Konta is through to the 2nd round of the Cincinnati Open.

But athletics, I can enjoy much more broadly.

So, you loved the tennis at the London Olympics?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm pretty chuffed and hope Brum does get the games. But I'm only 20 minutes away, so would make an effort to get to as much as I can.

No velodrome anywhere near though... Derby or Manchester are the nearest - I hope track cycling isn't axed.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Could be great news for Birmingham. Always good to see investment going into regional cities and people who live there having a new reason to be proud of where they live.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Commonwealth Games gives British athletes a chance to represent their home nation, rather than Team GB, so that's cool.

In addition, I think it must help our Olympians to have something of a "dry run" via the Commonwealth Games, and also it helps keep momentum going from one Olympiad to the next.

In the GB nations, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and Jamaica you have one quarter of the Top 20 Olympic Medal Table right there, so the standard's going to be good. What's not to like?

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I'm pretty chuffed and hope Brum does get the games. But I'm only 20 minutes away, so would make an effort to get to as much as I can.

No velodrome anywhere near though... Derby or Manchester are the nearest - I hope track cycling isn't axed.

Plan is to build one in Dudley apparently.

Would be great opportunity for one of the football teams to get a new stadium. Worked out well for Man City and West Ham

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Plan is to build one in Dudley apparently.

Would be great opportunity for one of the football teams to get a new stadium. Worked out well for Man City and West Ham

That would be amazing!!!

*starts looking at track bikes on wiggle*

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sounds like the the plans are to create the UK's largest permanent athletics stadium. Looks like No new stadium for Brum or Villa.

They are going to develop the Alexander Stadium, which is already a nice venue. I've been to the British Championships there a couple of times (as a spectator). It already hosts the occasional Diamond league meet.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Looks like Brum and Kuala Lumpur left in it.Would love it here,but it's not just Brum.Bowls at Victoria Park,Leamington.Velodrome at Dudley,plus events at the Ricoh Arena,NEC,and Wolverhampton possible.The main arena would be the refurbished Alexandra stadium,not really suitable for footy-they will keep it as an athletics stadium.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Pissing off the scousers is always amusing, in my book.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Pissing off the scousers is always amusing, in my book.

They were surprisingly gracious about losing,but it is amusing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here