Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First trip to the AmEx

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Greetings from Montana, U.S.A. The first English game I ever watched was Brighton/ManU in the '83 F.A. Cup final when a new cable sports channel over here was looking everywhere for programming, and I've followed the club ever since. Can't claim to be a super die-hard supporter (die-with-a-modest-struggle supporter?) but I've always looked for the scores and followed the ups and downs, the longtime stadium struggles and the recent near misses and especially this long-awaited promotion. And, I played Quadrophenia nonstop for several of my teen-angsty years. (Though I wouldn't claim to be a Mod or whatever else you all are talking about in that thread. :) (Also, I don't iron my clothes.)

My first trip to England coincides with the Monday night match against Stoke in November, and I just secured a ticket near the top of section W1H in the West stand. Planning to train down from London that afternoon and back after the match. Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask for any type of match-day advice you'd offer a newcomer to club and country. How long to allow myself for travel on either end? Any popular spots for a beer before the game? Anything I'd especially want to see in Brighton if I gave myself an extra hour or two? I think I got a good seat for watching the game, but how's the atmosphere up there? Anyplace else in the stadium I might wander to for a different experience?

Basically just looking for your best game-day tips for someone with no idea where he's going but delighted to be on the way. Cheers!

Howdy BS Albion
do you have an embarrassing first date story you'd like to share?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This without a shadow of a doubt, the wife thought the rest of England was like London, and was really surprised when I brought her home to Brighton so much so she agreed to move back to my home town and now loves it more than Detroit !!

Come stay it so worth it.

Unless your good lady has either a fetish for making cars, or a love of Motown music, l think it was a foregone conclusion she would prefer Brighton!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
This without a shadow of a doubt, the wife thought the rest of England was like London, and was really surprised when I brought her home to Brighton so much so she agreed to move back to my home town and now loves it more than Detroit !!

Come stay it so worth it.

Fat Boy even re wrote the local Anthem for her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kj_PSjOIKY

Sounds much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcK-s0U1lw

We walk out to this by the way - so listen oh and learn all the words to Sussex by the Sea

Hope its a great trip and it makes you do other games - easy commute

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is another song that's played most games at the Albion from the mighty Albion fan Fatboy Slim. Make sure you have the moves worked out before you come over, you need to be able to join in. You don't want to embarrass yourself by looking like a JCL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAi4VBoBSM

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This is another song that's played most games at the Albion from the mighty Albion fan Fatboy Slim. Make sure you have the moves worked out before you come over, you need to be able to join in. You don't want to embarrass yourself by looking like a JCL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAi4VBoBSM

I'd never made the connection before, but is this why there's so much legroom in front of the seats? It'd be much harder to do at Loftus Road.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Guns and hunting knives maybe confiscatesd along with unopened coke bottles and knitting needles (unless you're in the east lower) then anything goes except wearing a bra , bloody facists .

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Greetings from Montana, U.S.A. The first English game I ever watched was Brighton/ManU in the '83 F.A. Cup final when a new cable sports channel over here was looking everywhere for programming, and I've followed the club ever since. Can't claim to be a super die-hard supporter (die-with-a-modest-struggle supporter?) but I've always looked for the scores and followed the ups and downs, the longtime stadium struggles and the recent near misses and especially this long-awaited promotion. And, I played Quadrophenia nonstop for several of my teen-angsty years. (Though I wouldn't claim to be a Mod or whatever else you all are talking about in that thread. :) (Also, I don't iron my clothes.)

My first trip to England coincides with the Monday night match against Stoke in November, and I just secured a ticket near the top of section W1H in the West stand. Planning to train down from London that afternoon and back after the match. Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask for any type of match-day advice you'd offer a newcomer to club and country. How long to allow myself for travel on either end? Any popular spots for a beer before the game? Anything I'd especially want to see in Brighton if I gave myself an extra hour or two? I think I got a good seat for watching the game, but how's the atmosphere up there? Anyplace else in the stadium I might wander to for a different experience?

Basically just looking for your best game-day tips for someone with no idea where he's going but delighted to be on the way. Cheers!

I'm not going to give you any more information or advice, as you've plenty of good stuff already, all I'll say is that last year I was lucky enough to be in Montana as part of a USA road trip and it's a stunning place. Absolutely stunning.

Big Sky indeed.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

I hope you enjoy England and more importantly your 1st Amex experience.
West Upper H Block is a great choice.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Welcome. If you are coming from Brighton make sure you allow plenty of time for the short train journey from Falmer. With most people leaving work around the same time the station can get congested. You can have a beer outside or inside the stadium, safe in the knowledge you won't miss kick off. Enjoy the game.

Amex from Beacon2.jpg

This is a great view to see the Amex from Ditchling Beacon on an early summer's day, if you ever get the chance, stunning sight IMO.
Also, this is a great link to get the Amex vibe before visiting.
https://the1901club.co.uk/emulator/amextourfinal.html
Hope you enjoy your day :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Maybe plan to stop over night. Seaside town, saves all the rush off after the game then leisurely touristy stuff the next day.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Thanks all for the warm welcome and excellent advice, particularly regarding transit. Looks like I've got plenty of good options for food drink and atmosphere before and during the festivities. I can't play up front but I can certainly offer full-throated direction to those who do. I like the idea of spending the night but I don't know how that would go over with the rest of the family whom I am abandoning in London for this little adventure. Somehow Harry Potter World or whatever it's called will have to survive without me.

As for Montana, yes we do have a Wendy's in town and ordinarily you might expect plenty of snow, but we're not quite there yet. You've probably seen that much of this country is in danger of drowning lately but it's a different story up here--no rain since mid-July and the entire state is on fire. A week of overcast dreary skies frankly sounds fantastic just now.

Let the rest of the family enjoy Harry Potter World but then get them on the train to meet you in Brighton you can then all stay overnight and enjoy a great city together the next day, they will love it

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
[MENTION=35917]Big Sky Albion[/MENTION] - let's hope you have a wonderful time and enjoy England and the whole experience of an English football game. Thanks again for deciding to stick with us when Man Utd would have been much easier ! Brighton is a lovely city and you're sure to find plenty of interesting things to do prior to your visit to the Amex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here