Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] First trip to the AmEx

Sep 5, 2017
Montana USA
Greetings from Montana, U.S.A. The first English game I ever watched was Brighton/ManU in the '83 F.A. Cup final when a new cable sports channel over here was looking everywhere for programming, and I've followed the club ever since. Can't claim to be a super die-hard supporter (die-with-a-modest-struggle supporter?) but I've always looked for the scores and followed the ups and downs, the longtime stadium struggles and the recent near misses and especially this long-awaited promotion. And, I played Quadrophenia nonstop for several of my teen-angsty years. (Though I wouldn't claim to be a Mod or whatever else you all are talking about in that thread. :) (Also, I don't iron my clothes.)

My first trip to England coincides with the Monday night match against Stoke in November, and I just secured a ticket near the top of section W1H in the West stand. Planning to train down from London that afternoon and back after the match. Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask for any type of match-day advice you'd offer a newcomer to club and country. How long to allow myself for travel on either end? Any popular spots for a beer before the game? Anything I'd especially want to see in Brighton if I gave myself an extra hour or two? I think I got a good seat for watching the game, but how's the atmosphere up there? Anyplace else in the stadium I might wander to for a different experience?

Basically just looking for your best game-day tips for someone with no idea where he's going but delighted to be on the way. Cheers!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Greetings from Montana, U.S.A. The first English game I ever watched was Brighton/ManU in the '83 F.A. Cup final when a new cable sports channel over here was looking everywhere for programming, and I've followed the club ever since. Can't claim to be a super die-hard supporter (die-with-a-modest-struggle supporter?) but I've always looked for the scores and followed the ups and downs, the longtime stadium struggles and the recent near misses and especially this long-awaited promotion. And, I played Quadrophenia nonstop for several of my teen-angsty years. (Though I wouldn't claim to be a Mod or whatever else you all are talking about in that thread. :) (Also, I don't iron my clothes.)

My first trip to England coincides with the Monday night match against Stoke in November, and I just secured a ticket near the top of section W1H in the West stand. Planning to train down from London that afternoon and back after the match. Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask for any type of match-day advice you'd offer a newcomer to club and country. How long to allow myself for travel on either end? Any popular spots for a beer before the game? Anything I'd especially want to see in Brighton if I gave myself an extra hour or two? I think I got a good seat for watching the game, but how's the atmosphere up there? Anyplace else in the stadium I might wander to for a different experience?

Basically just looking for your best game-day tips for someone with no idea where he's going but delighted to be on the way. Cheers!

Welcome. If you are coming from Brighton make sure you allow plenty of time for the short train journey from Falmer. With most people leaving work around the same time the station can get congested. You can have a beer outside or inside the stadium, safe in the knowledge you won't miss kick off. Enjoy the game.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Great to hear your back story, I like many on here was at that game back in 83, I would personally recommend getting to the stadium early and heading to Richard's Bar, rather than hanging around in Brighton!!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Howdy. Trains are not particularly reliable at the moment - there's a long-running dispute on the franchise that links London and Brighton - allow plenty of time. Perhaps, as you suggest, come down early and take in some sites (maybe the pavilion - look it up - and the pier). I'd do my drinking in a pub close to Brighton station, rather than at the stadium. If you go to the Battle of Trafalgar, you'll find lots of Albion fans. (Oh, you do know we drink warm beer here, don't you? Ice is still on ration.) Leave the pub when the others do and follow them - you'll be ok.

You won't be doing seat swapping during the game, but your seat is at the right end of the stadium for atmosphere, and the views are great from whichever seat you have. After the game, go into the North Stand concourse for more beer, atmosphere, and to allow time for the train queue to subside. 30-45 minutes should suffice.

Enjoy the game!

For those that haven't been, Montana is a very beautiful place indeed. Visit; you'll enjoy it.

Edit: just want to check/set expectations: the atmosphere at an English football game is more like the Raiders than the 49ers...

Last edited:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not sure of the opening times but come early and try and visit the museum it might be worth seeing if the club are doing any stadium tours.
Let The club know you coming you might get a mention in the programme it makes a great story.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All I can say is you should definitely iron your clothes :)

Seriously, all good advice on here. I'd add, if you are going back to London that night that you want to ensure you make your connection at Brighton station. If it's an option to stay over then there would be plenty to do the next day; pier, i360, Pavilion and loads of good shops, pubs and restaurants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
HI, hope you enjoy the match. Like has been mentioned a pub near Brighton station would be good venue for early drinks. Aim to get the Amex for an hour or 40 minutes before kick off as that leaves plenty of time for delays. Or get to the Swan Inn pub near the stadium 2 hours before kick off ( http://www.swanfalmer.co.uk ) and walk over 40 minutes before kick off. It's a VERY English pub!

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Welcome ! You will be sitting close to where I sit and I'd like to reassure you that the view is great, as is the atmosphere as the West Stand gets very involved in the singing while you're close to hear the atmosphere generated from the North Stand. Enjoy the match, the experience and your trip to Brighton

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
if you have time, try to book on a stadium tour before the game, they're amazing. The behind the scenes stuff is truly amazing.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
November in Brighton is not going to be exciting but I would recommend making a day or two of it. If you have the time book an overnight in town (Premier Inn is £50) or at least come down early. The stadium is out of town but transport links are good but do allow 1.5 hours to soak up the atmosphere. There is likely to be a crush at the shop so if you want a lot of souvenirs it may be worth popping out there during the day. There will be an outside bar and live music at the ground and we have very good concourses once inside. Leaving can be a crush, perhaps pop in to the North Stand concourse after the match where the bars stay open. Don't book an exact train back to London as it may take a while to get away. Do contact the club as they love first timers.
Enjoy the match.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Blimey, Brighton or Man U and you picked Brighton? Do your friends sometimes describe you as 'quirky'? :)

As others have said the trains between London and Brighton are not at their best at the moment (long story). There are others on here who come down regularly from London for games, and hopefully they'll give you some tips.

Yes, give yourself at least an extra hour or two. .Even though the stadium is in Falmer go to Brighton itself initially. You can wander round the town, Brighton's quite a small place and it won't take you long to walk round most of the central area. You can then get one of the buses (such as a 25) out to the stadium itself. This will be free as your match ticket gives you free travel on public transport to and from the stadium in an effort to reduce car use.

Getting back you're on your own! Ideally you should stay in Brighton for the night and then you can have a leisurely beer or six at the ground afterwards before getting the (free) bus back to your hotel. I appreciate that might not fit in with your plans, in which case good luck with the trains.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Greetings from Montana, U.S.A. The first English game I ever watched was Brighton/ManU in the '83 F.A. Cup final (Though I wouldn't claim to be a Mod or whatever else you all are talking about in that thread. :) (Also, I don't iron my clothes.)

1: JCL
2: Wants to be a MOD on this forum already!
3: I like your style!!

Welcome, it's also traditional to offer your home to us hard up Brits if we decide to holiday in your wonderful country. Personally I need snow!, I assume you get plenty in your neck of the woods? If I do decide to come and stay is there a Wendy's in the neighborhood (spelt correctly for our American friend!)?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Can you play up front?

D

Deleted member 2719

Welcome to little Britain.

1) Expect smaller portion sizes.
2) Try not to sing 'Sussex by the sea' to quickly.
3) There will be NO cheer leaders.............#Barberout

Have a great time.:thumbsup:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
First things first no one calls it the AmEx with a capital E. Secondly don't buy a half and half scarf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here