Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Hands down the Coal Shed, but, the best steak I have eaten in Brighton was served at the Yeoman. It was a couple of years ago and it hasn't ever been THAT good again but it's still a pretty great shout.
    "Do what you do, stay as you are, let's keep having fun." Sam Baldock

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Another vote for M & C and agree Lancing is better

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lyndhurst 14 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Everybody has different tastes of course but for me rare is the only way to enjoy steak. One thing I like about the States is when you order a rare steak that's what you get
      Alternatively if you order medium you don't get that you get rare

0 Not allowed!
      I know it's all about opinions, but Coal Shed was a major let down last year for my birthday. Small portions & poor service; maybe we caught them on a bad night. Had to make a pit stop for McD's on the way home cos we were still Hank!
      Tiptoe, through the North Stand,
      Wiv yer boots on......
      Minister of Information

0 Not allowed!
      On the subject, does anyone remember a steak house in Brighton called the Marine Grill ? Was talking about it with my old Dad the other day but neither of us remember where it was.
      I've lost my way. If anyone should find it, do return it quickly. I should imagine it quite rusty by now.

0 Not allowed!
      Well NSC came up trumps locating a Wimpy, I'm sure they'll do the same regarding a Berni Inn
      Peacehaven v Little'ampton 3pm Sat 23rd Sept 6/4/U18s FREE

0 Not allowed!
      Terre a Terre, in East Street, Brighton.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Munkfish View Post
      Avoid the one at Patcham, Certainly check out the Lancing Offering. Not fancy dining in the slightest but a bloody good steak.
      Lancing is good, I assumed Brighton would be the same, thanks for the advice.

0 Not allowed!
      [QUOTE=kingcole;8111421]Coal shed is amazing and i worth the Hype.

Overpriced? It's premium food in central Brighton with excellent service. Their sharing steaks are to die for but when you consider a 500g Rib would be ample for 2 and would be 20 each, it really isn't over priced.

For more direct comparisons a tradition fillet it 27.50 and a 12OZ Sirloin is 21.50.

Those prices are cheaper than Miller and Carter which is pub chain and although does the steak well, the service is 3rd class.

Not sure where you got the idea The coal shed is cheaper than Miller and carter. A 7oz fillet at Coal shed is 27.50(plus 10% service) and that includes no sides. An 8oz fillet at Miller and carter is 23.95 with chips, grilled tomato, onion loaf, steak sauce and a side salad in a separate bowl. Also the 12oz Ribeye they do for 20 is unbelievable value(get all the sides as above with it also).

Going back to the original question, I have eating at all the places recommended on this post (a lot of times) and have to say the Miller and carter in Lancing is the best(Brighton branch not quite as good yet but still decent). Don't get put off because its a chain, its very good value and very good steak. Also if you have an AA membership you get 20% off the bill.

1 Not allowed!
      [QUOTE=samtheseagull;8111673]
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcole View Post
      Coal shed is amazing and i worth the Hype.

Overpriced? It's premium food in central Brighton with excellent service. Their sharing steaks are to die for but when you consider a 500g Rib would be ample for 2 and would be 20 each, it really isn't over priced.

For more direct comparisons a tradition fillet it 27.50 and a 12OZ Sirloin is 21.50.

Those prices are cheaper than Miller and Carter which is pub chain and although does the steak well, the service is 3rd class.
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcole View Post

Not sure where you got the idea The coal shed is cheaper than Miller and carter. A 7oz fillet at Coal shed is 27.50(plus 10% service) and that includes no sides. An 8oz fillet at Miller and carter is 23.95 with chips, grilled tomato, onion loaf, steak sauce and a side salad in a separate bowl. Also the 12oz Ribeye they do for 20 is unbelievable value(get all the sides as above with it also).

Going back to the original question, I have eating at all the places recommended on this post (a lot of times) and have to say the Miller and carter in Lancing is the best(Brighton branch not quite as good yet but still decent). Don't get put off because its a chain, its very good value and very good steak. Also if you have an AA membership you get 20% off the bill.
      I ate in the Brighton one and thought it was good, service not great but food good. Incidentally, they had 3 specials of local steaks, I had a rib-eye from somewhere, do they all do this now, i.e. the lancing one, as I have not been there for a couple of years. With the AA, I didn't know there was a discount, unfortunately, mine is through Lloyd's bank, so no proof of membership..

With the coal shed, been once, excellent steak but 800g porterhouse with one side of fries, one veg, one wine and one beer, 80!! I was in and out in 30 minutes as going to the cinema, never again! A mate got me a 1.3kg of porterhouse for 13 from Blake's and it was superb, rather eat in!��
      I do like the sound of their roast looking at the menu though..