Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best steak in Brighton and Hove?

Completely overpriced, in fact both are.

either way Plenty of competition for coal shed. dont believe the hype.

Coal shed is amazing and i worth the Hype.

Overpriced? It's premium food in central Brighton with excellent service. Their sharing steaks are to die for but when you consider a 500g Rib would be ample for 2 and would be £20 each, it really isn't over priced.

For more direct comparisons a tradition fillet it £27.50 and a 12OZ Sirloin is £21.50.

Those prices are cheaper than Miller and Carter which is pub chain and although does the steak well, the service is 3rd class.

Those above prices are their main A La Carte menu.

There are lunch and early evening menu's that are £15 for 2 course.

Before anyways says anything. I don't work there, own it nor have an interest in it. It's just bloody good and I'm sharing my opinion. Oh, I don't drive for nor have any interest in Uber either. They are good too though.

As I've said on other threads, worst steak I've ever had, well done presented as rare, etc. Could well be just me though.

Ah, apparently it isn't!

If you want you're steak well done you're wasting your time having a decent steak IMO.

It would be akin to ordering a nice bath for your home with fancy jets and spas but only ever taking a shower.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If you want you're steak well done you're wasting your time having a decent steak IMO.

It would be akin to ordering a nice bath for your home with fancy jets and spas but only ever taking a shower.

I agree. I ordered a rare steak and what they gave me was completely 100% cooked - not pink at all.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I know a couple of young people who have had trial shifts with Latino America, and said company didn't even have the decency to get back to them re job let alone give them a small remuneration for working.
Out of principle wouldn't go there now.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Overpriced? It's premium food in central Brighton with excellent service. Their sharing steaks are to die for but when you consider a 500g Rib would be ample for 2 and would be £20 each, it really isn't over priced.

For more direct comparisons a tradition fillet it £27.50 and a 12OZ Sirloin is £21.50.

Those prices are cheaper than Miller and Carter which is pub chain and although does the steak well, the service is 3rd class.

Those above prices are their main A La Carte menu.

There are lunch and early evening menu's that are £15 for 2 course.

Before anyways says anything. I don't work there, own it nor have an interest in it. It's just bloody good and I'm sharing my opinion. Oh, I don't drive for nor have any interest in Uber either. They are good too though.

You fail to mention the cost of sides, wine etc. But as you say its all opinions, When I went I was left very underwhelmed I have had a lot nicer elsewhere.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
If u fancy a drive visit macmillians in Worthing, shabby looking but the steaks are unreal,really look after their meat,been going over 30 years

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I agree. I ordered a rare steak and what they gave me was completely 100% cooked - not pink at all.

Everybody has different tastes of course but for me rare is the only way to enjoy steak. One thing I like about the States is when you order a rare steak that's what you get

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Hands down the Coal Shed, but, the best steak I have eaten in Brighton was served at the Yeoman. It was a couple of years ago and it hasn't ever been THAT good again but it's still a pretty great shout.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I know it's all about opinions, but Coal Shed was a major let down last year for my birthday. Small portions & poor service; maybe we caught them on a bad night. Had to make a pit stop for McD's on the way home cos we were still Hank!

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
On the subject, does anyone remember a steak house in Brighton called the Marine Grill ? Was talking about it with my old Dad the other day but neither of us remember where it was.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010

Not sure where you got the idea The coal shed is cheaper than Miller and carter. A 7oz fillet at Coal shed is £27.50(plus 10% service) and that includes no sides. An 8oz fillet at Miller and carter is £23.95 with chips, grilled tomato, onion loaf, steak sauce and a side salad in a separate bowl. Also the 12oz Ribeye they do for £20 is unbelievable value(get all the sides as above with it also).

Going back to the original question, I have eating at all the places recommended on this post (a lot of times) and have to say the Miller and carter in Lancing is the best(Brighton branch not quite as good yet but still decent). Don't get put off because its a chain, its very good value and very good steak. Also if you have an AA membership you get 20% off the bill.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

Not sure where you got the idea The coal shed is cheaper than Miller and carter. A 7oz fillet at Coal shed is £27.50(plus 10% service) and that includes no sides. An 8oz fillet at Miller and carter is £23.95 with chips, grilled tomato, onion loaf, steak sauce and a side salad in a separate bowl. Also the 12oz Ribeye they do for £20 is unbelievable value(get all the sides as above with it also).

Going back to the original question, I have eating at all the places recommended on this post (a lot of times) and have to say the Miller and carter in Lancing is the best(Brighton branch not quite as good yet but still decent). Don't get put off because its a chain, its very good value and very good steak. Also if you have an AA membership you get 20% off the bill.

I ate in the Brighton one and thought it was good, service not great but food good. Incidentally, they had 3 specials of local steaks, I had a rib-eye from somewhere, do they all do this now, i.e. the lancing one, as I have not been there for a couple of years. With the AA, I didn't know there was a discount, unfortunately, mine is through Lloyd's bank, so no proof of membership..

With the coal shed, been once, excellent steak but 800g porterhouse with one side of fries, one veg, one wine and one beer, £80!! I was in and out in 30 minutes as going to the cinema, never again! A mate got me a 1.3kg of porterhouse for £13 from Blake's and it was superb, rather eat in!
I do like the sound of their roast looking at the menu though..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here