Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School in Lewes bans girls from wearing skirts in new PC drive

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Or maybe Head Teachers and teachers should concentrate on their quality of teaching rather utterly pointless things like uniform. The new generation of Heads seem to think that shoving kids in ties and blazers somehow improves learning - utterly ridiculous. They also don't live in the real world when it comes to costs parents have to cope with. Take for example Patcham High. They have now banned winter coats and brought in branded school winter coats. Parents were only given a few weeks notice and now have to spend a fortune on a coat that the kids are only going to wear to school. If it's so bloody important to the school that they all wear a school branded coat then the school should bloody well provide them at their cost !!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more with your point about costs and the Patcham High example. Unreasonable request with a significant impact on the pockets of parents.

I don't think your example though bears any relation to the original post though, which is a load of old guff.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts:

1. Restricting choice seems an inherently bad thing. Schools should have a range of garments and kids should be allowed to wear what they want within that range.

2. At Year 7 girls undergo more body changes than at any other time of their life and each girl will handle this differently. The uniform should cater for this - girly girls should be allowed to wear dresses if they wish and express their femininity, while girls that want to suppress their changes or who feel more comfortable in trousers should be allowed to do so too.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Even when everyone is wearing trousers, it's the wrong shade of grey. Pupils are being checked at the gate, and sent home if it's wrong.

Only one shop sells the required brand, which I thought had been outlawed, because of financial restrictions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41181269

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I can.

It's called history. Sure there's been some decent female leaders and some terrible male leaders throughout history but overall men have lead humanity from the dark ages to the technologically advanced world we live in today.

We're talking about the %'s not in absolutes.

Where your argument and so called "empirical evidence" falls down is of course for most of history women have been treated as second class citizens, in ours and many other cultures! So women haven't had either the opportunities or equality to become leaders!

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
There is some right old bollox being spouted on-here. If the school uniform is trousers for everyone then good; everyone knows where they stand and gender issues are of no consequence. You can express yourself by how you dress in the evenings and at the weekend.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Not being a fuddy duddy here, but I think that this has been coming for a while.

I walked to the shops yesterday as the local senior school was kicking out the kids at the end of the day. I was amazed at the fact that everyone was wearing uniform, smart blazer, ties, shoes , however, in front of me was a group of probably year 11 girls who were "wearing" skirts rolled up and only just covered their arses! Now I am no prude, but it seemed a bit inappropriate and you can see why schools are resorting to this wearing of trousers ruling.

I know a lot of people will say that is their choice, BUT where schools are concerned, there are rules and if a head thinks it is inappropriate, then he/ she has the final decision.

The issue the Lewes school has is how they described it as gender neutral or to be fair to trans gender kids. If they had said, they were doing it as part of uniform and practical in the winter months, then no-one would have batted an eye lid, but by making it an issue, it has come back to bite them!

Nail completely on head regarding last paragraph.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Haven't read the thread, but I saw this on the local news last night and just thought "wow...great way to stir up and create a problem where previously there wasn't one in the first place".

If short skirts were the issue here, would it not be the simplest of rules to say "skirts should be at knee level", and leave it at that ? Or am I missing something ?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
You did miss something earlier in the thread, it may have come from a teacher. It goes along the line that the skirt is of the required length when girl leaves home but is then shortened in a way girls know how, I think it's by rolling over from the top.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is simple.

Thirteen pages on school uniform means that NSC is completely ****ed.

#premierleaguereadymyarse

:censored:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Where your argument and so called "empirical evidence" falls down is of course for most of history women have been treated as second class citizens, in ours and many other cultures! So women haven't had either the opportunities or equality to become leaders!

They have been the protected citizens.

75% of the women on the Titanic survived, 20% of men.

Why?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Do you really believe that the reason that there have been so few women leaders throughout history is due to leadership ability? If that is the case, why are there so many more female leaders now than there were 50 years ago (let alone 150 years ago)? Have women somehow got better at leadership, if so how?

There are more female leaders now because we've come to a place in time where hundreds of millions of men have died to create a world were we have more areas of peace and democracy than we have had in history.

Leaders are people who used to have to prove themselves to others so that they would have confidence in following them. Once the confidence was gone, they were gone.

That's not the case these days.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
There are more female leaders now because we've come to a place in time where hundreds of millions of men have died to create a world were we have more areas of peace and democracy than we have had in history.

Leaders are people who used to have to prove themselves to others so that they would have confidence in following them. Once the confidence was gone, they were gone.

That's not the case these days.
But you said "men make better leaders"; you now seem to be saying "men make better leaders when fighting is involved which the leader may have to be involved in," not quite the same thing..

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But you said "men make better leaders"; you now seem to be saying "men make better leaders when fighting is involved which the leader may have to be involved in," not quite the same thing..

Still all part of the human psyche. People are more inclined to follow someone they see as strong and capable. Can perform under pressure and not get emotional.

Been in the workforce 25 years and never seen a man cry in the work place, seen a heap of women cry at work though.

Men do make better leaders, doesn't mean women don't excel in other areas does it?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Still all part of the human psyche. People are more inclined to follow someone they see as strong and capable. Can perform under pressure and not get emotional.

Been in the workforce 25 years and never seen a man cry in the work place, seen a heap of women cry at work though.

Men do make better leaders, doesn't mean women don't excel in other areas does it?

Just repeating that men make better leaders doesn't make it true.

Some women are seen as strong, capable, able to perform under pressure some men aren't.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Strange I have see far far worse things in a work environment than someone crying. An odd criteria to judge leadership.

I guess we are all shaped by our experiences. I have seen many effective female leaders. Not sure why this has not been the case for you, but I suspect not many smart women want to hang around too long in the arse end of nowhere.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread but locally (Grimsby) 2 lads of 11 or 12 I believe, were put in isolation yesterday because their hair was deemed too short . Both looked very smart , grade 2 on the side's and back with slightly longer top . Nothing wrong with it whatsoever, really not sure what these schools are trying to achieve by this . Back n my day we had hair down to our shoulders :lolol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just repeating that men make better leaders doesn't make it true.

Some women are seen as strong, capable, able to perform under pressure some men aren't.

Yeah we're working on the %'s here. Nobody said some aren't seen as that way.

Men make better leaders, women make better nurses. Nothing too controversial there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here