Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School in Lewes bans girls from wearing skirts in new PC drive

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
When I was at Longhill in the early eighties had the same routine but with 10 hole Docs and rolling up my trouser legs ..............teacher shouts roll em down .........teacher f**ks off , roll em back up !!!

All day long.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet you weren't exposing your arse when you rolled them up though.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'm obviously out of touch on such important issues, but I am having difficulty understanding how or indeed why an 11 year old would consider themselves transgender.

If this is in fact part of the reason, why not just give the option of wearing trousers or skirts, this way those that prefer trousers can, and those that don't want to, don't have to.

But commonsense never seems to apply in respect of school uniforms

The problem is most likely that if a male decides to identify themselves as a girl then they would be allowed to do so and therefore be entitled to wear the same school uniform as all the other girls at the school and use the same facilities and changing rooms as all the other girls in the school.

In order to avoid a potential clothing issue they have decided to have a set uniform for all students.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Great, next we should ban the terms "He", "Him", "His" and "She", "her", "Hers".

Only "They", "Them", and "Theirs" should be permitted.

Perhaps boys could grow their hair a little longer and girls cut theirs a little shorter too.

Something needs to be done about voices also, can we teach kids to speak in a gender neutral voice too please?

Only when we can't tell the difference between girls and boys, only then will we all be free.

W

T

F

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why are the trousers angry and why does Osted rate this a good for them to be angry?

Feel sorry for younger generations - girls having long hair and boys having short hair will be the next taboo.

Perhaps the trousers are angry because they were put together by 'cross-stich'!:lolol:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Am I allowed to get titsy about this, though?

Explaining why he brought in the uniform change, headteacher Mr Smith said: "Pupils have been saying why do boys have to where ties and girls don't, and girls have different uniform to boys.

If that is genuinely how the Telegraph spelt it, that is utterly shocking - how can someone get a job with a newspaper with that level of literacy?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
School uniform rules are an area which have caused a problem for a number of schools, for example many schools have had rules that say girls can wear a small pair of earstuds but boys are not allowed to wear any sort of ear jewellry. A boy at a school near me was sent home for wearing earstuds, his parents challenged this on the grounds that it was discriminatory; the school accepted that it was and changed their rules.

This prompted a discussion about school uniform rules in general, for example why did boys have to wear ties and girls didn't, why could girls wear skirts but boys couldn't, with the result that the uniform rules are now not gender specific - everyone has to wear a tie and boys can wear skirts if they want to. It would actually be simpler to specify trousers for everybody and I suspect that this may be a way that an increasing number of schools go.

Don't really see why it is "lefty" or "PC bollocks" - it just makes the rules simpler and fairer for everyone (and as has already been discussed, enforcing the rules on girls' skirt lengths is a tedious and never-ending chore for many teachers...)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I always wore navy blue knickers when playing netball but had no trouble switching to jockstrap and skull cap when it came to rugby. There was no confusion in my day.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
School uniform rules are an area which have caused a problem for a number of schools, for example many schools have had rules that say girls can wear a small pair of earstuds but boys are not allowed to wear any sort of ear jewellry. A boy at a school near me was sent home for wearing earstuds, his parents challenged this on the grounds that it was discriminatory; the school accepted that it was and changed their rules.

This prompted a discussion about school uniform rules in general, for example why did boys have to wear ties and girls didn't, why could girls wear skirts but boys couldn't, with the result that the uniform rules are now not gender specific - everyone has to wear a tie and boys can wear skirts if they want to. It would actually be simpler to specify trousers for everybody and I suspect that this may be a way that an increasing number of schools go.

Don't really see why it is "lefty" or "PC bollocks" - it just makes the rules simpler and fairer for everyone (and as has already been discussed, enforcing the rules on girls' skirt lengths is a tedious and never-ending chore for many teachers...)

Why can't rules be more complex and adhered do?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Don't worry, soon everyone will finally be equal and then nuclear warfare will wipe everyone out.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
FFS ... how do schools continually get something so simple so utterly wrong? Seriously, it's easy. Just define the colour and leave the style optional (within defined limits, such as minimum skirt length). That's what I had when I went to school 20-something years ago in Australia, and it blimin' well worked.

Most secondary schools DO have a minimum skirt length but you honestly think the pupils care? ??? It won't stop them rolling them up to make them shorter. The school can't win. Parents either complain about skirt lengths and demand something is done and then the other half complain about the action that was taken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here