Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

School in Lewes bans girls from wearing skirts in new PC drive

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I'm all for reducing discrimination but it seems children are being turned into over entitled, easily offended turnips with all this school PC mush.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
The actual problem is one of girls rolling their skirts up to make them shorter. Parents will send them out with the correct skirt then half way down the road they'll get rolled up. Same in school, teacher in class 1 will tell them to roll skirts down, walking to class 2 skirts rolled up again, teacher in class 2 tells them to roll them down again, break they get rolled up again, etc, etc. It isn't just a few it is quite a lot. Trousers just eradicate what is a tiresome issue.

Whatever happened to telling pupils off for wearing skirts that were too short. So they ban skirts rather than giving the teachers any authority to reprimand?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I can.

It's called history. Sure there's been some decent female leaders and some terrible male leaders throughout history but overall men have lead humanity from the dark ages to the technologically advanced world we live in today.

We're talking about the %'s not in absolutes.
Do you really believe that the reason that there have been so few women leaders throughout history is due to leadership ability? If that is the case, why are there so many more female leaders now than there were 50 years ago (let alone 150 years ago)? Have women somehow got better at leadership, if so how?

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The actual problem is one of girls rolling their skirts up to make them shorter. Parents will send them out with the correct skirt then half way down the road they'll get rolled up. Same in school, teacher in class 1 will tell them to roll skirts down, walking to class 2 skirts rolled up again, teacher in class 2 tells them to roll them down again, break they get rolled up again, etc, etc. It isn't just a few it is quite a lot. Trousers just eradicate what is a tiresome issue.

Which part of the above post did you not read or understand? [MENTION=19816]cloud[/MENTION]

Whatever happened to telling pupils off for wearing skirts that were too short. So they ban skirts rather than giving the teachers any authority to reprimand?

As well as the skirts, teachers are also telling girls to remove untold make up and jewellery, also checking for correct footwear and telling many pupils to stop using their mobile phones.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not being a fuddy duddy here, but I think that this has been coming for a while.

I walked to the shops yesterday as the local senior school was kicking out the kids at the end of the day. I was amazed at the fact that everyone was wearing uniform, smart blazer, ties, shoes , however, in front of me was a group of probably year 11 girls who were "wearing" skirts rolled up and only just covered their arses! Now I am no prude, but it seemed a bit inappropriate and you can see why schools are resorting to this wearing of trousers ruling.

I know a lot of people will say that is their choice, BUT where schools are concerned, there are rules and if a head thinks it is inappropriate, then he/ she has the final decision.

The issue the Lewes school has is how they described it as gender neutral or to be fair to trans gender kids. If they had said, they were doing it as part of uniform and practical in the winter months, then no-one would have batted an eye lid, but by making it an issue, it has come back to bite them!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sounds like the headmaster is jealous :D

Anyway, why not allow the wearing of skirts at just over knee height, any higher then the girls can be disciplined with detention/mobile phone ban until they get the message. Modesty is important of course but so is free expression within reasonable rules.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
So head teacher decides to change uniform rules. I really can't see that there's a story here, let alone pages of snowflakes getting excited about it :shrug:

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
I can.

It's called history. Sure there's been some decent female leaders and some terrible male leaders throughout history but overall men have lead humanity from the dark ages to the technologically advanced world we live in today.

We're talking about the %'s not in absolutes.

But whose to say that women wouldn't have been just as successful if there had been equality and that's exactly what needs to be addressed now!

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
There seems to me something very ironic that in this age of diversity, freedom to express whatever preferences you wish - we want to avoid pigeon holing people into one of two genders, so we'll actually just make everyone a neutral grey clone instead. Very diverse that. Sign me up for the mandatory short back and sides with grey jumpsuit uniform. The future is here.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
School uniform rules are an area which have caused a problem for a number of schools, for example many schools have had rules that say girls can wear a small pair of earstuds but boys are not allowed to wear any sort of ear jewellry. A boy at a school near me was sent home for wearing earstuds, his parents challenged this on the grounds that it was discriminatory; the school accepted that it was and changed their rules.

This prompted a discussion about school uniform rules in general, for example why did boys have to wear ties and girls didn't, why could girls wear skirts but boys couldn't, with the result that the uniform rules are now not gender specific - everyone has to wear a tie and boys can wear skirts if they want to. It would actually be simpler to specify trousers for everybody and I suspect that this may be a way that an increasing number of schools go.

Don't really see why it is "lefty" or "PC bollocks" - it just makes the rules simpler and fairer for everyone (and as has already been discussed, enforcing the rules on girls' skirt lengths is a tedious and never-ending chore for many teachers...)

I would like to see a similar approach in terms of workplace dress, I have now worked in several places where it is shirt, tie, trousers and shoes for men and anything but denim for women. My last job was in Madrid and so in 40 degree heat the ladies were in loose fit dresses and flip flops whilst the men sweated it out in formal dress, did not seem fair to me one bit.

D

Deleted member 22389

There seems to me something very ironic that in this age of diversity, freedom to express whatever preferences you wish - we want to avoid pigeon holing people into one of two genders, so we'll actually just make everyone a neutral grey clone instead. Very diverse that. Sign me up for the mandatory short back and sides with grey jumpsuit uniform. The future is here.

Hang on, I haven't given you your number yet as names and your sex will be deleted from the database. From now on you will be known as 00323421

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I would like to see a similar approach in terms of workplace dress, I have now worked in several places where it is shirt, tie, trousers and shoes for men and anything but denim for women. My last job was in Madrid and so in 40 degree heat the ladies were in loose fit dresses and flip flops whilst the men sweated it out in formal dress, did not seem fair to me one bit.

Actually got told to go home and put trousers on (I was wearing 3/4 length shorts) by my boss who was wearing a denim miniskirt once. I didn't - I got a new job though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you are considering getting titsy about this then I suggest refocusing your anger onto something more important, or going for a long walk or knocking one out or something. Anything to take your mind off this utter triviality.

Or maybe Head Teachers and teachers should concentrate on their quality of teaching rather utterly pointless things like uniform. The new generation of Heads seem to think that shoving kids in ties and blazers somehow improves learning - utterly ridiculous. They also don't live in the real world when it comes to costs parents have to cope with. Take for example Patcham High. They have now banned winter coats and brought in branded school winter coats. Parents were only given a few weeks notice and now have to spend a fortune on a coat that the kids are only going to wear to school. If it's so bloody important to the school that they all wear a school branded coat then the school should bloody well provide them at their cost !!!!!!!!!!

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
So once again, People who accept who they were born as, and get on with there life, Are penalised because of all the gender madness that is going on!.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Some of the Asian girls,and their white friends,have taken to wearing this skirt/trouser combination,which I think solves the female modesty and uniform requirements nicely.
as.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here