Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motty to commentate on us this week as part of his grand tour

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Always one for the theatrical and dramatic so pretty much guarantees we're in for a snore fest this Saturday. He must have commentated on us loads of times before, does anyone know of any notable examples?

For me another example of someone the Beeb should have mothballed years ago, well past his sell by date.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41159991

'Farewell tour' for commentator

He will commentate on 18 games over the course of the Premier League season as part of a 'farewell tour' before a last appearance during the BBC's FA Cup final programme in May 2018.

The announcement comes as Motson makes his return to the Match of the Day programme at Brighton v West Brom on Saturday.

Barbara Slater, BBC director of sport, said: "John Motson is a real asset to the football world and he will be sorely missed.

"It isn't hard to see why he is so highly treasured, not just by the BBC but also by the nation, due to his instantly recognisable voice, wonderful sense of humour and his incredible dedication to the sport.

"As he moves on from commentating for BBC Sport, we wish him the best of luck for the future."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"The Seagulls might be a striker or two light here, I fancy."

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I suppose I'm the only one who regards him as a national treasure. I once did some work for his father, a clergyman from Lincolnshire as I recall, who had the same rosy cheeks and guileless enthusiasm as his son.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The miserables are out early on this thread. :wanker:

I love John Motson and his commentaries, brilliantly eccentric but always with a better idea of what's going on than most.

Some say he never recovered from his interview with Brian Clough in the 70/80s. Masterful interviewing of a masterfully mischievous manager.

I love John Motson and his commentaries, brilliantly eccentric but always with a better idea of what's going on than most.

Some say he never recovered from his interview with Brian Clough in the 70/80s. Masterful interviewing of a masterfully mischievous manager.

I don't want to be a miserable but I always found him to be a bok, if we were doing ok in a vital World Cup match he'd always compare it to something that went badly wrong which we ended up losing (West Germany 1970 and 1990, Poland 1973 etc etc) and right on cue we'd end up losing

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Another fan of Motson here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I love John Motson and his commentaries, brilliantly eccentric ......

Agree with THIS part...

...... always with a better idea of what's going on than most.

But THIS part? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

"Oh its gone in. Has it? Yes. No. Its a throw in there"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Izquierdo there… no, Izzy Brown… er, Bong?"

I love that for every 'tricky' name, he has two entirely different pronunciations. One for use in general play, and a SPECIAL one for excitable bits.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
"As he moves on from commentating for BBC Sport, we wish him the best of luck for the future." Means he is not retiring but going elsewhere.
Yes he is a national treasure but perhaps he has carried on for a few years too many.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Guarantees a dreadful commentary then. He's been awful for about a decade.

Only a decade, he's been dreadful far longer than that.

At least with his commentary not being live on the BBC he does have the opportunity to correct his many errors.

I muted his commentary ages ago as I was spending most of my time shouting at the TV in response to his errors or his inane ramblings

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Football Focus comes live from the Amex on Saturday, so he'll be doing a sizable preview and probably having a mince round.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I love that for every 'tricky' name, he has two entirely different pronunciations. One for use in general play, and a SPECIAL one for excitable bits.

There's an element of the smug about him with names too:

I'll never forget when the BEEB covered Sheff United v Man United (the year they wore that half green/half gold kit in a nod to their forefathers) and out of nowhere in a break of play he smugly announced that Jostein Flo actually pronounced his name FLU, and he knew because he'd spoken to his parents.

He then broke the cardinal sin of commentary/punditry and gave his little chuckle "huh huh huh" as a self congratulatory pat on the back.

Don't get me wrong his commentary shaped my formative years but Hereford v Newcastle aside what else will he be remembered for apart from his Sheepskin jacket?!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Brian Moore is the only other commentator that comes close to Motty's fantastic commentary in the eighties and nineties.

Moore had that special touch of shouting: "IT'S IN THERE!" before letting you hear the crowd noise for around 5-10 seconds before summarising the goal. "It all started with a fantastic pass to (John) Barnes on the wing, he cut inside and sent a teasing cross right on to the head of (Ian) Rush" "What a last half hour we're set for now".

Both passionate and both legends of commentary although Motty is slightly over the hill now but he'll always be remembered as superb at his job.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brian Moore is the only other commentator that comes close to Motty's fantastic commentary in the eighties and nineties.

Moore had that special touch of shouting: "IT'S IN THERE!" before letting you hear the crowd noise for around 5-10 seconds before summarising the goal. "It all started with a fantastic pass to (John) Barnes on the wing, he cut inside and sent a teasing cross right on to the head of (Ian) Rush" "What a last half hour we're set for now".

Both passionate and both legends of commentary although Motty is slightly over the hill now but he'll always be remembered as superb at his job.

Brian Moore was, is and will always be the best football commentator IMHO.

Some of these modern day jokers should take the time to listen to how he went about his craft.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't want to be a miserable but I always found him to be a bok, if we were doing ok in a vital World Cup match he'd always compare it to something that went badly wrong which we ended up losing (West Germany 1970 and 1990, Poland 1973 etc etc) and right on cue we'd end up losing

a bok? is he a saffie?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I liked him in his hay day but as others have said, he's been crap for 15 years. He was the daddy in my era growing up with the game, much more so than Brian Moore even though Moore was probably a bit better.

Although I'm afraid this whole kerfuffle is classic BBC - they absolutely love to elevate their own to a stature well exceeding their talent. Motson was alright, even quite good in his day. But ultimately he's a bloke with limited ability and boundless enthusiasm who was lucky enough to commentate on the game he loved, for decades. And now he is retiring. No need for a massive fan-fare, he really won't be missed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I think that depends how old you are.

If you're thirty plus, then yes you'll probably remember him being quite good, and will laugh off what he's like now.

My kids (16 and 19) think he's an absolute joke. Which is entirely understandable as they've only ever known him as a confused-sounding old man.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here