Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downgrading from sky to sky freesat - anyone done it?

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
Hi everyone.

Hope you don't mind me coming on, you've got some very knowledgable people on here(been lurking on here in the background) and wanted to canvas for opinions/experience.

Currently paying sky over £50 a month for a basic package. Don't bother with sports/movies and of the "hundreds" of channels available have'nt found many worth watching.

Been reading I can cancel my sky subscription and buy a one off £25 freesat card from them to stick in the current box.

This has not come about because some guff called game of thrones has finished and the missus Is now no longer bothered about making sure we've got sky Atlantic, cough cough.

Anyway, this would save over £500 a year which could be put to better use like away games at, er, brighton:banana:

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
My understanding is you have to pay a monthly fee of £12 to sky to keep the box functionality (recording etc) but that may have changed.

I ditched sky 7 months ago, bought a 500gb humax Freesat box for £200 and never looked back.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Hi everyone.

Hope you don't mind me coming on, you've got some very knowledgable people on here(been lurking on here in the background) and wanted to canvas for opinions/experience.

Currently paying sky over £50 a month for a basic package. Don't bother with sports/movies and of the "hundreds" of channels available have'nt found many worth watching.

Been reading I can cancel my sky subscription and buy a one off £25 freesat card from them to stick in the current box.

This has not come about because some guff called game of thrones has finished and the missus Is now no longer bothered about making sure we've got sky Atlantic, cough cough.

Anyway, this would save over £500 a year which could be put to better use like away games at, er, brighton:banana:

Buy a freeview HD box. Cheap

Buy a Roku Box (the same as NowTV but not "locked down" by Sky) and get Sky Sports when you want it as well as Amazon, Netflix and the rest.

The "illegal" route is being shut down and (I'm not interested what anyone says on here) free streams are going to be increasingly difficult to source.

Sky have recognised the demand for pay as you go. Hopefully BT Sport will wake up soon.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hi everyone.

You should be paying £12 per month and not pay for the first 3 months. Basically 9 x £12 for that basic package. That is what i've been paying for the last two years. Sky can be your friends when it comes to deals. Far more than Virgin who i use for Broadband.

If you ditched Sky altogether you cannot record or use your sky HD box. You still get basic channels though.

PM me if you wish.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Using the skybox for free sat is a pretty frustrating experience just because you're using a guide with 1000 channels and you only have access to a few. I did make this move (paying to free) but luckily my tv has a freesat function built in so I just plugged the satellite cable straight into the back of the tv and can flick between freeview and freesat. Not sure there is much additional stuff on freesat vs freeview which is worth watching but others may have found some gems??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Skybox should be your last choice imo. Get a humax freesat box which has all the same functionality and no monthly cost

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Hi everyone.

I pay £47 a month to sky and get everything sports movies etc phone up and tell them your leaving and don't back down until u get what u want

Jameson

I ditched Sky years ago and went for a Humax freesat box and have full HD on the main channels with all the technical specificity of the Sky box. Now on my second Humax box, tiny thing with 1 tb disc. Not expensive and just plug in and play.

UTT

Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Leaning more towards getting rid of sky completely now.

Joshski

Mar 18, 2008
Nope sticking with Sky and 4K for any Brighton games I'm unable to attend (admittedly on a good deal though!)

Tin Star is coming on Sky Atlantic this week which looks good too and the new series of GoT has also been good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You should be paying £12 per month and not pay for the first 3 months. Basically 9 x £12 for that basic package. That is what i've been paying for the last two years. Sky can be your friends when it comes to deals. Far more than Virgin who i use for Broadband.

If you ditched Sky altogether you cannot record or use your sky HD box. You still get basic channels though.

PM me if you wish.

That's very useful info for me, too. Cheers :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here