Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football clubs overspent by 30% on players - CIES Football Observatory study

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I see that the fourth largest gap between estimated value and fee paid belonged to Place, nice to see that they have learned their lessons from their previous administrations and are being careful with teir spending to avoid another one

Greatest gaps between fees paid and estimated values (summer 2017)
4th = Mamadou Sakho
Liverpool to Crystal Palace
Estimated value 5.3m
Fee paid 28.2m
Overpaid by: 22.9m

(Prices in Euros)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I see that the fourth largest gap between estimated value and fee paid belonged to Palace, nice to see that they have learned their lessons from their previous administrations and are being careful with their spending to avoid another one

Greatest gaps between fees paid and estimated values (summer 2017)
4th = Mamadou Sakho
Liverpool to Crystal Palace
Estimated value 5.3m
Fee paid 28.2m
Overpaid by: 22.9m

(Prices in Euros)

Any reason to re-post this picture gratefully accepted...

_97658143_de_boer_getty2.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
European clubs paid on average 30% more than a player was worth during the recent transfer window, a study says.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41158426

What a load of bollox.

As my flurry of posts this evening suggests I am currently being bored silly by the other half's choice of TV entertainment and therefore decided to get the stats on Dwamena to see how much over the odds we'd bid for this supposed nugget. Only I can't. Because the Country drop down in the value calculator for domestic performance only lists 5 countries. Supposedly the "top 5" ones I guess (in Europe). No Belgium. No Holland. And definitely no Switzerland.

This means any real statistical meta analysis is impossible and the sample size is far too small. In maths terms the calculator is totally meaningless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
football clubs over paying, or CIES Football Observatory undervaluing?

rivalry aside, valution for Sakho, a France international with 3years/50+ games in the Premier League looks rather short.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

rivalry aside, valution for Sakho, a France international with 3years/50+ games in the Premier League looks rather short.

They probably get their valuations from fantasy football.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Agreed, whilst i think Palace over paid, i don't think it's as drastic as 22m. Everyone knows players are over valued, inflation propped up by ridiculous TV money and oil tycoons, an A level economics student could come to that conclusion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here