Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread of amazing covers

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You've got issues.

John Lennon's voice trumps them all. Especially in Please Mr. Postman and Twist and Shout where, I might had, he had a cold and recorded the whole song in one take after he recorded most of The Beatles first album in one day.

The Beatles were a unbelievable rock n roll band with great stage presence before the industry tamed them, but their later albums are far superior to that of the artists you mentioned.

The Buddy Holly covers weren't great, but I think you'll find The Beatles thought Elvis was more of an driving force than Holly.

No issues. I just rate The Beatles on what I hear, not on the myth of them being the best writers, players, singers and innovators that has developed since the boom of adult music criticism in the 90s. The copy is rarely as good as the original and that is as true of the Beatles' rock'n'roll covers as it is of Take That's Bee Gees covers.

Not everybody seems to agree with your expert opinion on Buddy Holly's influence on The Beatles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub_Ndas3Fgw

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Blimey, I thought I knew a fair bit about Led Zep but there you go - they were accused of 'acquiring' quite a lot of their blues based stuff but hadn't heard of that one as well.

Jake Holmes supported The Yardbirds at a concert ...... they heard the song, liked it and did their own arrangement. Page was part of the Yardbirds at the time and hence why it transferred across to Led Zep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTsvs-pAGDc

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't think this one has popped up yet

Although really this can't be classed as a cover. Bowie wrote the song specifically for Mott the Hoople, who recorded and released it as an original. So if anything, the cover would be one of Bowies versions. The one I love is from the Ziggy Stardust "farewell" concert at Hammersmith Odeon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvZsssoryN0

But on the subject of covers, from the same concert I just think Bowies version of "My Death" is stunning ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VR7XX5S-qY

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
No issues. I just rate The Beatles on what I hear, not on the myth of them being the best writers, players, singers and innovators that has developed since the boom of adult music criticism in the 90s. The copy is rarely as good as the original and that is as true of the Beatles' rock'n'roll covers as it is of Take That's Bee Gees covers.

Not everybody seems to agree with your expert opinion on Buddy Holly's influence on The Beatles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub_Ndas3Fgw

There is no myth. Listened to all of The Beatles albums then, have you?

As I said, I think John's voice makes the difference on those covers.

I didn't say Buddy Holly wasn't an influence. John clearly got into music because of The King.
https://youtu.be/BegLdgqf-_s

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There is no myth. Listened to all of The Beatles albums then, have you?

I have listened to a substantial amount of what they have done and even own a couple of their albums. I also own albums by Arthur Alexander, Van, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, The Isley Brothers and The Carpenters. I've not got a whole album by The Marvelettes, but do have a couple of compilations on which they feature heavily. I've also got quite a lot of stuff with songs by Whitfield and Strong, including the fantastic 'Cloud Nine' album by the Temptations. I wouldn't give an opinion without listening. It may be possible that I have done at least as much research as you and come to a different conclusion. I know its not acceptable to a lot of fabzealots, but there are a lot of us that think that the Beatles were a fairly decent pop group whose critical reputation far exceeds their musical worth. Its a valid opinion that I could, (and have) argue(d), til the sacred cows come home. Perhaps its time to stop taking up this covers thread and agree to differ, before I annoy you further by saying that Oasis have also done nothing of interest since their second album.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I have listened to a substantial amount of what they have done and even own a couple of their albums. I also own albums by Arthur Alexander, Van, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, The Isley Brothers and The Carpenters. I've not got a whole album by The Marvelettes, but do have a couple of compilations on which they feature heavily. I've also got quite a lot of stuff with songs by Whitfield and Strong, including the fantastic 'Cloud Nine' album by the Temptations. I wouldn't give an opinion without listening. It may be possible that I have done at least as much research as you and come to a different conclusion. I know its not acceptable to a lot of fabzealots, but there are a lot of us that think that the Beatles were a fairly decent pop group whose critical reputation far exceeds their musical worth. Its a valid opinion that I could, (and have) argue(d), til the sacred cows come home. Perhaps its time to stop taking up this covers thread and agree to differ, before I annoy you further by saying that Oasis have also done nothing of interest since their second album.

I actually think their third album is very good. The production and length of songs doesn't do it any favours though, but there are still some great songs on there. As for after, they still had some great singles and also some b-sides that would've improved their albums. There really haven't been many bands who have made great albums since the 90's.

So you wouldn't say Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album and Abbey Road are great albums that changed the direction of music and influenced many, many artists after?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
So you wouldn't say Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album and Abbey Road are great albums that changed the direction of music and influenced many, many artists after?

Great - no, the first two are good albums, the latter three, not so much.
Changed the Direction of music - no, but they did bring other artists' innovation to the attention of the mainstream. George Martin did a lot of innovative things in the studio.
Influenced many artists - yes, but not necessarily all for the good. Prog Rock! You can keep nearly all of it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The album version of this just popped up on Spotify shuffle play and I thought it worthy of this thread but could only find this.

Who is that? ( I have to say that I think it's dreadful too)

Who is that? ( I have to say that I think it's dreadful too)

I like it (studio version is better) - Sadie and the Hotheads, band fronted by Elizabeth McGovern the actress who appeared in "Brideshead Revisited". Be boring if we all liked the same things.

Here's another one (original is youngest's favourite song). I am sure you will love this :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The original by Tuxedomoon is right up there for me. This is not better but it is very very good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here