Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber: The Transfer Window

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Still only excuses, excuses about a key deliverable to the project of staying in the Premier league.

No matter what industry you work in, you can all work hard towards something but fail to deliver the required end result, it doesnt mean you havent tried but you have failed and it is unacceptable that we failed in this department.

Totally agree.

Interesting reference in the tome about "managing expectations". Maybe Barber shouldn't have been shouting "Premier League Ready" from the top of the Amex for the past few years when we clearly weren't.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
He says we lost 2 players because they were called back to the selling club. Denswill was one - who was the other?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
- finances aside, failed medicals are rare – we had 2; players being recalled to their club at the point of signing for another because of an injury/issue affecting a team mate are even more unusual – again, we had 2.
Neto and Dwanema failed medicals, Denswil and ? couldn't sign due to an injury. Wonder who that was?

- and, no, we didn’t miss out on a loan striker because we signed a loan GK; we took a conscious decision to take an excellent loan GK when the opportunity arose.

Sorry Barber but this sounds like bollocks.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Thank you Paul - that's all clear and perfectly understandable . Its a shame but its up to the rest of the team to stand up and be counted and its up to the fans to be fans and stop moaning ( not everyone) . This is our year in the Premier league and we have a better squad than we realise and a together squad too . They need to feel our total backing and support - starting on Saturday .

The more we give the more we'll get back .

3 points on Saturday - its West Brom ffs .

Stand tall and support the Albion

Thank you Paul - that's all clear and perfectly understandable . Its a shame but its up to the rest of the team to stand up and be counted and its up to the fans to be fans and stop moaning ( not everyone) . This is our year in the Premier league and we have a better squad than we realise and a together squad too . They need to feel our total backing and support - starting on Saturday .

Hi Paul.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
What utter bollocks. I don't know what industry you work in, but it certainly ain't football. If you feel it is 'unacceptable' then good luck supporting whatever team fits your unrealistic expectations, Narnia FC?

It was clear what was set out by the recruitement team on what they needed to deliver, They did well to secure as many players as they did, however there is no excuse for me that a striker was not signed. This would have been a top priority along with a replacement for Stockdale. If we had failed to sign a keeper would this have been acceptable as well? as such they have failed and I find that our club not signing a striker is unacceptable. We were already short on cover and it was clear when Barber come out and said in an Ideal world we would sign a striker things were not going to plan.

No doubt the club have to stay positive and share this sort of information with fans which is fine, but there is no way the club would do the same again if they had the oppotunity. Its not to say right to get on the clubs back and be vocal about it at games and of course we will be fully behind the team, but as a fan and a supporter I have more than enough right to feel the club has failed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
He says we lost 2 players because they were called back to the selling club. Denswill was one - who was the other?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8109787 said:
Neto and Dwanema failed medicals, Denswil and ? couldn't sign due to an injury. Wonder who that was?

The other one I believe was Florin Andone from Deportivo, we'd agreed the deal with them but they pulled out when an injury to another of their squad or one of their targets came to light. We then turned our attention to Vincent Janssen at the 11th hour.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I very much appreciate the efforts made to do this, and understand all the points he has made.

And if anyone is still seriously continuing to moan and call for heads to roll, it is they who are the bellend.

I am sure some will read the CEO's comments and think "Yes, but we are all entitled to our opinion".

To which the response might be similar to the response to Mrs Jefferson of the Burt Kwouk character in Tenko: "Why you no Risten?"

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Still only excuses, excuses about a key deliverable to the project of staying in the Premier league.

No matter what industry you work in, you can all work hard towards something but fail to deliver the required end result, it doesnt mean you havent tried but you have failed and it is unacceptable that we failed in this department.

It's disappointing and unfortunate, but not in my opinion unacceptable. The transfer market, particularly at our level is ridiculously competitive and we were not the only team to miss out. It's not simply a matter of sauntering up to a club and player with a huge bag of cash and getting on with it. Barcelona couldn't get Coutinho despite having the cash and the player wanting to drive himself away from merseyside, are they failures?

it is what it is. The club imo did try exceptionally hard to land a striker and for a whole variety of reasons failed to get one. I accept this leaves us in a difficult situation but not an impossible one. Afterall Sunderland managed to get a good season out of Jermain Defoe (a proven talent at this level) and they were down by easter.

We shall have to look for goal-scoring contributions from the across the team. I still think Murray, Baldock, and Hemed can get 25+ between them, Knockaert, March, Stephens, Brown, Dunk, Duffy, Gross, Propper and Izquierdo can also chip in with their share. Last season 40 or so goals and 35 points would have kept you up. I do not think either of those targets are beyond the squad that we have.

This real football not FIFA. can't wait to get back to the Amex on saturday and actually show my support for this team.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The transfer window has, as ever, sparked a lot of debate on social media – some of it constructive and interesting; some of it, naïve and, in places, unjustifiably spiteful. .

I'll tell you what is also unjustifiably spiteful...a company announcing publicly on its website that they've sacked a senior and long-serving employee for gross misconduct.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It was clear what was set out by the recruitement team on what they needed to deliver, They did well to secure as many players as they did, however there is no excuse for me that a striker was not signed. This would have been a top priority along with a replacement for Stockdale. If we had failed to sign a keeper would this have been acceptable as well? as such they have failed and I find that our club not signing a striker is unacceptable. We were already short on cover and it was clear when Barber come out and said in an Ideal world we would sign a striker things were not going to plan.

No doubt the club have to stay positive and share this sort of information with fans which is fine, but there is no way the club would do the same again if they had the oppotunity. Its not to say right to get on the clubs back and be vocal about it at games and of course we will be fully behind the team, but as a fan and a supporter I have more than enough right to feel the club has failed.

Good luck with that. Enjoy your season. :thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It's disappointing and unfortunate, but not in my opinion unacceptable. The transfer market, particularly at our level is ridiculously competitive and we were not the only team to miss out. It's not simply a matter of sauntering up to a club and player with a huge bag of cash and getting on with it. Barcelona couldn't get Coutinho despite having the cash and the player wanting to drive himself away from merseyside, are they failures?

it is what it is. The club imo did try exceptionally hard to land a striker and for a whole variety of reasons failed to get one. I accept this leaves us in a difficult situation but not an impossible one. Afterall Sunderland managed to get a good season out of Jermain Defoe (a proven talent at this level) and they were down by easter.

We shall have to look for goal-scoring contributions from the across the team. I still think Murray, Baldock, and Hemed can get 25+ between them, Knockaert, March, Stephens, Brown, Dunk, Duffy, Gross, Propper and Izquierdo can also chip in with their share. Last season 40 or so goals and 35 points would have kept you up. I do not think either of those targets are beyond the squad that we have.

This real football not FIFA. can't wait to get back to the Amex on saturday and actually show my support for this team.

No one thinks this is FIFA what a childish comment.

Its clear we did try and go large on a striker however it was little too late, it seemed we had a budget of 10-15million for a striker which we failed to sign anyone with, then transfer deadline day we must have offered Spurs A lot of Money for Janssen considering they turned down 23 Million from WBA. So we had acknowledged at that point something had to be done, but this still didnt pay off.

Maybe if we had realised our approach wasnt working we would have changed this sooner.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here