Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber: The Transfer Window

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Paul Barber is a top guy, 100% for Brighton as is his Boss and his colleagues.
Support for the club should be through thick and thin, so back off.
Nothing left to see here.
The club, again in my opinion have done an excellent job recruiting this window, The striker can only score if his has the opportunity, we have amassed a quality midfield and defence. That can get the ball to them.
Here’s hoping that once the players have got unto speed with the Premier League, things will improve.
We all want whats best for the club, but do we really have to bitch about everyone?
channel your energy to Merson or any other outsider dissing our club

You may think Paul barber is a top guy but do you really need him to remind you to support the team?
His email was not about an enlightened CEO connecting with fans, it was about someone with a massive ego lashing out because he knows he didn't deliver.
I haven't got a problem with a striker not forthcoming, so much as the patronising tone of his long and unnecessary email.
Tony Bloom's initial letter to fans sufficed.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
You may think Paul barber is a top guy but do you really need him to remind you to support the team?
His email was not about an enlightened CEO connecting with fans, it was about someone with a massive ego lashing out because he knows he didn't deliver.
I haven't got a problem with a striker not forthcoming, so much as the patronising tone of his long and unnecessary email.
Tony Bloom's initial letter to fans sufficed.

I certainly didn't read it that way. The easiest thing to do would have been to say nothing. 99% of clubs would have been in that camp. Barber and TB care - that's why they spent time trying to explain the situation. If you don't want a Board that cares about the supporters then there are plenty of clubs to choose from. Personally I'm embarrassed by a lot of the anti-Barber, anti-Winstanley stuff on here. But hopefully we can move on now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Clever from Mr Barber, he's guaranteed a decent amount of programme sales this weekend and deflected our "anger" onto himself thus taking the pressure off the team.

Top, top CEOing

:clap2:

:lolol:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Stating the bleeding obvious doesn't make you a genius. The club didn't plan to only have one fit striker. Doesn't matter which clubs finish below us as long as three do.

I never said I was a genius just disappointed .And your right it doesn't matter who the three teams are But there still had to be three teams just can't c it hope I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Clever from Mr Barber, he's guaranteed a decent amount of programme sales this weekend and deflected our "anger" onto himself thus taking the pressure off the team.

Top, top CEOing

:clap2:

:lolol:

At £3.50 no more than usual . Why would people go out of there way to here more club excuses for the fourth time when once was enough . Pressure off team no one blames team or manager . The three musketeers are in the firing line no one else .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
At £3.50 no more than usual . Why would people go out of there way to here more club excuses for the fourth time when once was enough . Pressure off team no one blames team or manager . The three musketeers are in the firing line no one else .

I wasn't being entirely serious.

:)

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Embarrassing witch hunt still ongoing I see.

To be fair, it's down to Barber that it is still ongoing, he reignited the flames that were dying down. I bet he's regretting it now.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Mistakes like that just prove how lazy Paul Barber really is

Amazing comment. Of all the things he's been accused of, I think that is the most ridiculous I've heard so far. Do you honestly think you work harder than he does?

Unless of course it was meant tongue in cheek, in which case I apologise.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
To be fair, it's down to Barber that it is still ongoing, he reignited the flames that were dying down. I bet he's regretting it now.

In order to regret something, you have to first admit some degree of culpability. I'm not sure how much of that I see here.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
In order to regret something, you have to first admit some degree of culpability. I'm not sure how much of that I see here.

Eh? No you don't, not at all. I meant I bet he's regretting posting the long waffly message about how why we failed to get a striker, as by and large it has got a pretty dreadful response from the fans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

And will be fanned again when his programme notes come out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Eh? No you don't, not at all. I meant I bet he's regretting posting the long waffly message about how why we failed to get a striker, as by and large it has got a pretty dreadful response from the fans.

I know that's what you meant. I doubt he regrets posting the message, because that would mean accepting that posting it was a mistake. Accepting that a mistake has been made doesn't seem to feature strongly in PB's psyche.

It's why I give little credence to his (very brief) reference to seeing what lessons can be learned from this window. If you don't think any mistakes have been made and that the failure to bring in a striker is just down to "circumstances", any post mortem will necessarily be both brief and futile. In order for a post mortem to be useful, you first have to accept, genuinely accept, that mistakes were made and that you'll critically analyse what went wrong in an open way. There's almost nothing in his message that indicates that's his mindset.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And will be fanned again when his programme notes come out.

The result on Saturday is pretty key. Fail to score, again, and people won't be happy. Fail to score and lose and it will properly kick off.

Score two or three and people will forget about it. At least for a week or two.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The result on Saturday is pretty key. Fail to score, again, and people won't be happy. Fail to score and lose and it will properly kick off.

Score two or three and people will forget about it. At least for a week or two.

I agree. Just shows us football fans aren't fickle after all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know that's what you meant. I doubt he regrets posting the message, because that would mean accepting that posting it was a mistake. Accepting that a mistake has been made doesn't seem to feature strongly in PB's psyche.

It's why I give little credence to his (very brief) reference to seeing what lessons can be learned from this window. If you don't think any mistakes have been made and that the failure to bring in a striker are just down to "circumstances", any post mortem will necessarily be both brief and futile. In order for a post mortem to be useful, you first have to accept, genuinely accept, that mistakes were made and that you'll critically analyse what went wrong in an open way. There's almost nothing in his message that indicates that's his mindset.

The club certainly failed. But this is different to mistakes being made. Were mistakes made? I don't know; maybe they did everything right but we're not prepared to go further than they planned/wanted. I thought Bloom's message was spot on. Barber's radio interview was fine and explained a few points. That Sheffield United video gave a lot of context as well. I think the club should have left it there.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

It's why I give little credence to his (very brief) reference to seeing what lessons can be learned from this window. If you don't think any mistakes have been made and that the failure to bring in a striker are just down to "circumstances", any post mortem will necessarily be both brief and futile. In order for a post mortem to be useful, you first have to accept, genuinely accept, that mistakes were made and that you'll critically analyse what went wrong in an open way. There's almost nothing in his message that indicates that's his mindset.

I see. I think we need to remember that what he says publicly is going to be very different to what he says privately. People seem to have this idea that everyone in the club is just saying "Oh well, nothing we could have done, we tried our hardest, never mind". Anyone who doesn't think that questions are having to be answered internally doesn't understand the way a big business works. But that needs to be done internally, not in the public eye. People seem to forget that Tony Bloom has more at stake than anyone else here, he will be more disappointed than any of the fans that we didn't get a striker. Imagine being a fan and also having a hundred million quid at risk from it.

RowXintheNorth

Aug 12, 2011
Bishopstone
Disappointed not to have signed a much needed striker?

Certainly.

Can we do anything about it?

No, not then and not now.

So get behind the team and hope that we can cling on to the dream of staying up in our first season. Let's see what goalscoring riches the January window provides..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here