Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber: The Transfer Window

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
He wasn't "making excuses" he was answering questions he has had or has seen. He is not excusing anything.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'm fine with the response from Barber, it's kind of what I would expect. No acceptance for failure, that's cool.

Himself, and the recruitment team need to change this in the next transfer window. If they manage to mess that up, then I doubt he'll be in a similar position to send such a response.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Nevertheless, our supporters do have every right to express their reasonable opinions. The game is full of opinions.

The length of reply indicates how sensitive a topic this is internally - and that in itself is the answer. Somewhere, there's most likely a sense of disappointment, despite many seemingly positive signings and unfortunate incidents.

What makes me laugh a bit is the quote above. Whether he likes it or not, it's not really for Paul Barber to determine what fans have a right to express - whether it's felt to be reasonable, or not, by the club.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's disappointing and unfortunate, but not in my opinion unacceptable. The transfer market, particularly at our level is ridiculously competitive and we were not the only team to miss out. It's not simply a matter of sauntering up to a club and player with a huge bag of cash and getting on with it. Barcelona couldn't get Coutinho despite having the cash and the player wanting to drive himself away from merseyside, are they failures?

it is what it is. The club imo did try exceptionally hard to land a striker and for a whole variety of reasons failed to get one. I accept this leaves us in a difficult situation but not an impossible one. Afterall Sunderland managed to get a good season out of Jermain Defoe (a proven talent at this level) and they were down by easter.

We shall have to look for goal-scoring contributions from the across the team. I still think Murray, Baldock, and Hemed can get 25+ between them

:D Time will tell, but I think that is extreme optimism.

But you are right the wingers/midfield and even Dunk and Duffy will need to contribute.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Interesting this. These days most company's social media teams will, probably weekly, send a summary of the main points of social media engagement with the company/product. What this shows I think, is that PB is totally all over social media watching every little detail and frankly over-obsessing. We all like a moan up but does he really think we are not going to get behind CH's team? It really was just a failure to deliver a key deliverable with 4 months. Doesn't matter if it's early or late business it was just missed. learn from it, sack someone, whatever.

Something being missed by Paul, is that part of the reason we all carped on so much is that we care deeply and don't want the club to be humiliated. Misplaced I'm sure but very real basic humanity for sure.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Some fair points and always appreciate him taking the time to do something like this. We still massively failed in not signing at least one striker though whatever way you try and spin it.

I'm also surprised he feels the need to comment on social media/online 'spitefulness' from supporters - that is the nature of the beast these days and it's probably best the club learns to just let it run off their back.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
A lot of what he says is reasonable, but we still failed to sign a striker that we desperately needed. I don't expect him to criticise anyone from the club publicly (least of all himself), but they simply did not deliver the player we needed.

As for the comment re a loan GK, that quite simply is a big strategic error in my eyes.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I like Paul Barber. I think we are very fortunate to have him as our CEO, and if there is a better one at any Football club I wwould be surprised.

However, the latest communique from him is just a long, windy, pile of waffle.

Oh....and can he take his sidekick, ChaileyJem away for a while....please.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems like it's everyone else's fault other than the recruitment team that we didn't sign a striker. Remind me who does the recruiting?

Still can't wait for the WBA game though, even if we do have Jamie Murphy up front.

:)

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
More spin than Moeen Ali.

From what I can work out since Thursday, the recruitment team did their jobs in the identifying targets but it was the commercial team (Barber) who failed to execute the deals.

If (hope not) we get relegated in May, I will be writing an email to Barber to ask him if he feels that failure to sign a striker after getting promoted on 17th April 2017 is the main reason for failing to be 'Premier League Ready' on the 12th August ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mostly understandable, but...

"no, we didn’t miss out on a loan striker because we signed a loan GK; we took a conscious decision to take an excellent loan GK when the opportunity arose."

Hmmmm....

What is the relevance between signing a striker and a loan GK we didnt need. First TB waffles to try to appease us now it PB. Nobody should have expected different from either after a poor window for whatever the reason was.

He sound like my mum we planned to have roast beef for dinner but the diced pork was cheap so I bought that.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So glad I had such an absolute ball last few seasons both at The Amex and on the road.

The complexities, politics and machinations of PL will certainly test the resolve of some fans, be nice when we've bagged a few goals and points too.

Looks like the end of Chapter One in the new book of BHA, can't wait for Chapter 2 and beyond.

I'll leave it to the experts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here