Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    It's a lot simpler than playing too many friendlies (although that is a factor), despite those articles in Times, Telegraph, Sun and others. It is about winning matches at the two major tournament finals.

If England's record in finals was ANYTHING LIKE what it is in qualifiers, we would be in the top four.

The rankings, and points allocated for matches making up those rankings, are heavily weighted towards matches won at the finals. So if you're drawing them and losing them like us, it is very difficult.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Used to be true, but nowadays the betting market is so enormous, any irregularities such as this are ironed out.
      You may well be right, I was just using information I picked up during my 28 years working for William Hill
      @@@@@ Peacehaven v Trois Ponts - Sat 28th 3pm £6/£4/U18s FREE @@@@@

0 Not allowed!
      Also looks like Switzerland will be down to seventh in the revised rankings next week, so in danger of missing out with two qualifiers to go.

New top 15 will be:

1. Germany
      2. Brazil
      3. Portugal
      4. Argentina
      5. Belgium
      6. Poland
      7. Switzerland
      8. France
      9. Chile
      10. Colombia
      11. Spain
      12. Peru
      13. Wales
      14. Mexico
      15. England

England down two despite winning both matches including one against closest rivals in group. Slovakia up three despite losing to England. No, I don't understand it either - and that's after reading up on the maths of it all last week.

If France and Spain were to nick those last two places, and Colombia and Chile aren't too shabby either, you'd be looking at seven strong seeded teams - plus Russia.
      Last edited by Tooting Gull; 06-09-2017 at 11:18.
      Mama said knock you out. LlcoolJ's Avatar

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Lurchy View Post
      Think arrogance, stupidity and a obsession with money are also to blame. Swear I read that the reason why home game are always played at Wembley is down to the FA needing to claw back money to pay off the money used to redevelop it.
      It's true. That is also why the FA cup semis are played there now (which is another shit idea).
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Notthenineo'clocknews View Post
      You may well be right, I was just using information I picked up during my 28 years working for William Hill
      Since the arrival of Betfair the whole betting industry has changed.

Huge punters placing enormous bets eats up all the patriotic punters having fivers and tenners.

The prices offered are as near as dammit the true price about every outcome happening.

Which wasn't the case before Betfair.
      Fingerlickin good Nigella's Cream Pie's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Skint Gull View Post
      I have just looked at that as I don't take much interest in international football... To be fair Hungary, Faroe Islands, Andorra and Latvia in one group is unbelievable.. they could well win 9 and lose 1 in qualifying and still not qualify in a playoff...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
      Yes, they will probably lose to Portugal away in final match and so finish 2nd and then lose in play off leaving FIFA with egg on their face
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tooting Gull View Post
      Also looks like Switzerland will be down to seventh in the revised rankings next week, so in danger of missing out with two qualifiers to go.

If France and Spain were to nick those last two places, and Colombia and Chile aren't too shabby either, you'd be looking at seven strong seeded teams - plus Russia.
      A situation where the team would like to be in the Russia group, as the weakest team, but the fans certainly wouldn't.

0 Not allowed!
      I'm all a bit under enthused by international football anyway, England, perennial group winners and perennial final stage losers, World cups being awarded to those with the biggest bung, Fifa president being corrupt along with his wing men, and now teams playing the system to up their rankings. Can't be arsed with any of it.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
      Since the arrival of Betfair the whole betting industry has changed.

Huge punters placing enormous bets eats up all the patriotic punters having fivers and tenners.

The prices offered are as near as dammit the true price about every outcome happening.

Which wasn't the case before Betfair.
      Thank you for explaining that to me. I'm just saying that in previous tournaments (including the last one) my position within the company has given me access to various field books so I can tell you what each country winning would cost the company. (Although I wouldn't of course as it's confidential)
      @@@@@ Peacehaven v Trois Ponts - Sat 28th 3pm £6/£4/U18s FREE @@@@@

0 Not allowed!
      Interesting to see Argentina, Chile and Columbia 4, 9 and 10, although I understand all of them are struggling to qualify for the next World Cup.

Genuinely Argentina are up against it to qualify, and Chile probably won't...
      Palace fan -
      Why did my Dad introduce me to Palace. Life is even more depressing
      ITS THE STUFF OF CHAMPIONS, ITS THE STUFF OF DREAMS