Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Switzerland are currently the 4th best team in the World...

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
There's a great article in the times explaining how such nations game the system to ensure the best chance of being seeded in World Cups etc.

Can't link it as it's no longer free but it won't surprise you to know The FA aren't progressive enough to bother.

Think arrogance, stupidity and a obsession with money are also to blame. Swear I read that the reason why home game are always played at Wembley is down to the FA needing to claw back money to pay off the money used to redevelop it.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Well they would be high up the rankings. Swizaland is FIFA's home Team. :sheep:

The Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) is an association governed by Swiss law founded in 1904 and based in Zurich. It has 211 member associations and its goal, enshrined in its Statutes, is the constant improvement of football.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
On the brighter side, we could get drawn with Switzerland or Poland... and we won't get France, Italy or Spain..

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Trouble is, friendlies pay the debt for the new Wembley - so the FA are caught between a rock and a hard place. Play them, get poor rankings, lose in major tournaments, growing public apathy towards an unsuccessful national team, but pay the debt. or don't play them, better rankings, probably still lose in major tournaments (but possibly slightly less badly), sightly less apathy, but can't afford to pay for stadium and go bust.

Which white elephant do you prefer?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Won 8 in a row in World Cup qualifying....
I have just looked at that as I don't take much interest in international football... To be fair Hungary, Faroe Islands, Andorra and Latvia in one group is unbelievable.. they could well win 9 and lose 1 in qualifying and still not qualify in a playoff...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's a lot simpler than playing too many friendlies (although that is a factor), despite those articles in Times, Telegraph, Sun and others. It is about winning matches at the two major tournament finals.

If England's record in finals was ANYTHING LIKE what it is in qualifiers, we would be in the top four.

The rankings, and points allocated for matches making up those rankings, are heavily weighted towards matches won at the finals. So if you're drawing them and losing them like us, it is very difficult.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Also looks like Switzerland will be down to seventh in the revised rankings next week, so in danger of missing out with two qualifiers to go.

New top 15 will be:

1. Germany
2. Brazil
3. Portugal
4. Argentina
5. Belgium
6. Poland
7. Switzerland
8. France
9. Chile
10. Colombia
11. Spain
12. Peru
13. Wales
14. Mexico
15. England

England down two despite winning both matches including one against closest rivals in group. Slovakia up three despite losing to England. No, I don't understand it either - and that's after reading up on the maths of it all last week.

If France and Spain were to nick those last two places, and Colombia and Chile aren't too shabby either, you'd be looking at seven strong seeded teams - plus Russia.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Think arrogance, stupidity and a obsession with money are also to blame. Swear I read that the reason why home game are always played at Wembley is down to the FA needing to claw back money to pay off the money used to redevelop it.

It's true. That is also why the FA cup semis are played there now (which is another shit idea).

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
You may well be right, I was just using information I picked up during my 28 years working for William Hill

Since the arrival of Betfair the whole betting industry has changed.

Huge punters placing enormous bets eats up all the patriotic punters having fivers and tenners.

The prices offered are as near as dammit the true price about every outcome happening.

Which wasn't the case before Betfair.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I have just looked at that as I don't take much interest in international football... To be fair Hungary, Faroe Islands, Andorra and Latvia in one group is unbelievable.. they could well win 9 and lose 1 in qualifying and still not qualify in a playoff...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes, they will probably lose to Portugal away in final match and so finish 2nd and then lose in play off leaving FIFA with egg on their face

SAC

May 21, 2014
Also looks like Switzerland will be down to seventh in the revised rankings next week, so in danger of missing out with two qualifiers to go.

If France and Spain were to nick those last two places, and Colombia and Chile aren't too shabby either, you'd be looking at seven strong seeded teams - plus Russia.

A situation where the team would like to be in the Russia group, as the weakest team, but the fans certainly wouldn't.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm all a bit under enthused by international football anyway, England, perennial group winners and perennial final stage losers, World cups being awarded to those with the biggest bung, Fifa president being corrupt along with his wing men, and now teams playing the system to up their rankings. Can't be arsed with any of it.

Since the arrival of Betfair the whole betting industry has changed.

Huge punters placing enormous bets eats up all the patriotic punters having fivers and tenners.

The prices offered are as near as dammit the true price about every outcome happening.

Which wasn't the case before Betfair.

Thank you for explaining that to me. I'm just saying that in previous tournaments (including the last one) my position within the company has given me access to various field books so I can tell you what each country winning would cost the company. (Although I wouldn't of course as it's confidential)

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Interesting to see Argentina, Chile and Columbia 4, 9 and 10, although I understand all of them are struggling to qualify for the next World Cup.

Genuinely Argentina are up against it to qualify, and Chile probably won't...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here