Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Slovakia

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I don't think we'll be seeing Alli in another qualifier now, FIFA will ban him for that, rightly so, arrogant idiot.
It things like that which gives football a bad name and makes rugby fans even more boring in there tedious knocking of this sport.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Shite stirrer commentator promoting Dier to be sent off for an innocuous collision.

Was it him who made that last man foul in the first half that wasn't picked up ? Bit fortunate there. Was a foul and sending off.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sums it up:
3c641fa31b68c522a7186a14c292aa6d.jpg

Well the reason for that is summed up by most of the posts on this thread. Over expectation and an almost delusional belief that we deserve to be better than we are. It is a young team and the head will always say you have to give them time to gel, probably aiming for the next tournament. However, even those in the press that spout that will still be getting excited once the world cup gets closer and if they don't succeed, the press, pandering to the baying masses will call for Southgate's head and fall over themselves promoting some new 8 year plan!!!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The reason we won't ever succeed is because our players seem absolutely incapable of passing it and moving into space to try and receive another pass. Our players aren't at all confident in tight spaces either. Watch the Germans and the Spanish for how it should be done.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Well the reason for that is summed up by most of the posts on this thread. Over expectation and an almost delusional belief that we deserve to be better than we are. It is a young team and the head will always say you have to give them time to gel, probably aiming for the next tournament. However, even those in the press that spout that will still be getting excited once the world cup gets closer and if they don't succeed, the press, pandering to the baying masses will call for Southgate's head and fall over themselves promoting some new 8 year plan!!!

That is a part of the problem for sure. It frustrates me so much, Euro 2016 was the perfect example; maximum points in qualifying, conceded just 3 goals in all ten matches. Best record of any nation.
Squeeze through the group stages with 5 points from a possible 9 and then lose to Iceland. The fear and nervousness that seem to accompany us are almost a physical thing.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The fear and nervousness that seem to accompany us are almost a physical thing.

That's the feeling I get too. It's different when I watch the Japan team with the Mrs. Japan are awesome to watch in this regard. They just go at it. Every game.

Although it may be that I'm just more relaxed when I watch cos it's not really MY team.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The reason England don't succeed at major Championships seems to me to be two-fold.

They don't target '' the opposition''. They play thinking that if we play to our players strengths then man for man we are better. That's an Arsenal mentality - First you have to nullify the opposition and then go for the game. That's what Portugal did in the Euros. Croatia were one of the best teams when you watched then at that tournament but Portugal just nullified them in the quarter finals or whenever they came up against them and then took their opportunity.

Play the percentages game by game. Then when the opportunity arises then you go for it. Italy did it against France and Holland in past tournaments. They win things by making sure that others don't.- They go out to win every match but if they did a Stoke City and said ''if you can't win it, make sure you don't lose it '' then they would fare better.

Qualification is almost done now. Start preparing how not to lose matches instead of winning them and forget about what the Press report about you. That's where they fall down. Preparing to win is not the same thing as preparing to look good or entertain. Good Managers know that but in England they try to appease the press too much every game instead of appeasing them in the games which matter.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The reason England don't succeed at major Championships seems to me to be two-fold.

They don't target '' the opposition''. They play thinking that if we play to our players strengths then man for man we are better. That's an Arsenal mentality - First you have to nullify the opposition and then go for the game. That's what Portugal did in the Euros. Croatia were one of the best teams when you watched then at that tournament but Portugal just nullified them in the quarter finals or whenever they came up against them and then took their opportunity.

Play the percentages game by game. Then when the opportunity arises then you go for it. Italy did it against France and Holland in past tournaments. They win things by making sure that others don't.- They go out to win every match but if they did a Stoke City and said ''if you can't win it, make sure you don't lose it '' then they would fare better.

Qualification is almost done now. Start preparing how not to lose matches instead of winning them and forget about what the Press report about you. That's where they fall down. Preparing to win is not the same thing as preparing to look good or entertain. Good Managers know that but in England they try to appease the press too much every game instead of appeasing them in the games which matter.

I disagree. England's main problem is not going for the jugular. Sitting back, accepting draws in group stages against minnows because it means we're guaranteed qualifying in 2nd as opposed to going for 1st. Sitting back......Don't worry we'll be fine as long as we don't concede....And then it's out on penalties or to shock wonder goals ala Ronaldhino.

Or we just get schooled by Germany again. Because the fundamental reason behind all our shitty tournament performances is the simple truth that the players simply aren't good enough.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I disagree. England's main problem is not going for the jugular. Sitting back, accepting draws in group stages against minnows because it means we're guaranteed qualifying in 2nd as opposed to going for 1st. Sitting back......Don't worry we'll be fine as long as we don't concede....And then it's out on penalties or to shock wonder goals ala Ronaldhino.

Or we just get schooled by Germany again. Because the fundamental reason behind all our shitty tournament performances is the simple truth that the players simply aren't good enough.

England players are great players. It's failing to not lose games which let them down. You can win matches in a two minute spell. You don't need to win games by miles. That's what the Press want don't play to appease them. Just win at all costs.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

England can win the group with 2 draws or one win. Whey would you bother extending yourself and risk injuries. Next important game is not until Russia

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

We always finish first in qualifiers. Other than that McClaren fvck-up when we missed out on Euro 2008, we have qualified for every tournament TOP of every single group since Euro 2000 (when we finished behind Sweden and had to piss about with the scotch for a couple of games to get there).

England are classic flat track bullies. We always find a way against the Moldova's, Lidls, Mordor's and Narnia's of this world. But as soon as an Italy comes along, we fold faster than Superman on laundry day. We're basically the current Arsenal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We always finish first in qualifiers. Other than that McClaren fvck-up when we missed out on Euro 2008, we have qualified for every tournament TOP of every single group since Euro 2000 (when we finished behind Sweden and had to piss about with the scotch for a couple of games to get there).

England are classic flat track bullies. We always find a way against the Moldova's, Lidls, Mordor's and Narnia's of this world. But as soon as an Italy comes along, we fold faster than Superman on laundry day. We're basically the current Arsenal.

The seeding system helps England finish first. The minute this ever goes, and there's a big team in the group, qualification will change dramatically.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
The seeding system helps England finish first. The minute this ever goes, and there's a big team in the group, qualification will change dramatically.

True, and it may well help England. Effectively a lot of England games are meaningless. Pressure on every game would be a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here