Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

• Casuals

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • Goth

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Grunge

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Heavy Metal (Metal Head)

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • Hippie

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Hip Hop

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Mod

Votes: 36 13.7%
  • New Romantic

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Punk

Votes: 37 14.1%
  • Rasta

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rave

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Rocker / Biker

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Rockabilly

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Skaterboy

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Skinhead / Suedehead

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Soul Boy

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Teddy Boy

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

When I was about 10 c1978 I really liked punk music and really wanted a pair of tartan trousers, by 1981 despite my long hair I used to like to hang around with the skinheads that started going in the north end of the east terrace near the away end. In 1984 it was Adidas trainers, Levi Jeans and a Diamond Pringle. A look I still maintain to this day! (Ok, I dropped the diamond jumper but Never Mind The Bollocks is still one of my favourite albums)

Jan 30, 2008
I'm surprised there are so many "Casuals" .....I didn't know what that meant to googled it
"The casual subculture is a subsection of association football culture that is typified by football hooliganism and the wearing of expensive designer clothing (known as "clobber")"
I would have thought that was more Millwall that us?!?!?
OH DEAR :dunce:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
When I was about 10 c1978 I really liked punk music and really wanted a pair of tartan trousers, by 1981 despite my long hair I used to like to hang around with the skinheads that started going in the north end of the east terrace near the away end. In 1984 it was Adidas trainers, Levi Jeans and a Diamond Pringle. A look I still maintain to this day! (Ok, I dropped the diamond jumper but Never Mind The Bollocks is still one of my favourite albums)
bottom of EAST TERRACE north :whistle:
regards
DR

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

The golf shop in Lewes Road and Hollingbury Golf Club shop did a roaring trade in Pringle jumpers for non golfers.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Give me a casual/townie any day over the hipster toff brigade that suddenly decided they were Brighton fans as soon as we made it to the EPL.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rave probably turned me back in to a casual with a hint of skater and teeny-tiny touch of mod. Went from electric blue Lois cords and Pringle jumpers to a bit of an indie kid, got massively in to Happy Mondays and Stone Roses and, from there, got back in to my terrace gear but spent most weekends at raves or techno clubs. One of the reasons I went missing a bit in the war years, too busy at The Zap or Club UK or Universe dancing in Adidas trainers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where is indy/post punk? Where is shoegaze? Where is EBM? Where is darkwave?

I'm OUT!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The beauty of Brighton is that we never felt the need to go 'all in' to any subculture.

Hmmm...In the mid and late 70s there was no mixing. Fortunately in my circle, our appearance was such that we largely avoided agro - by striking fear into passers by (except the Teds at Portslade Station...) and by keeping to our own bolt holes (Vault, Poly, Alhambra, pub next to the Hungry Years whose name excapes me - Stranglers played there once and Wrist Action played there every week, New Regent...).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hmmm...In the mid and late 70s there was no mixing. Fortunately in my circle, our appearance was such that we largely avoided agro - by striking fear into passers by (except the Teds at Portslade Station...) and by keeping to our own bolt holes (Vault, Poly, Alhambra, pub next to the Hungry Years whose name excapes me - Stranglers played there once and Wrist Action played there every week, New Regent...).

I'm a definite cross over. Two blokes I regularly drink with before games are the same. Stone Island / CP / Adidas on but chilled as anything and often to be found in dark clubs and fields at sunrise during the 90s. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here