Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

• Casuals

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • Goth

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Grunge

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Heavy Metal (Metal Head)

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • Hippie

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Hip Hop

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Mod

Votes: 36 13.7%
  • New Romantic

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Punk

Votes: 37 14.1%
  • Rasta

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rave

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Rocker / Biker

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Rockabilly

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Skaterboy

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Skinhead / Suedehead

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Soul Boy

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Teddy Boy

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
But wouldn't "Paychobilly" come under the subculture of Rockabilly being a subculture within that subculture. If I'd listed the subcultures within the subcultures the list would have been too exhaustive. I didn't just omit Paychobilly I also omitted Psychobilly both of which I presume would come under the Rockabilly banner. If I am wrong I apologise. To be honest I wasn't even aware of Paychobilly. When did that emerge? Is it a subculture of psychobilly who are also upwardly mobile professionals?

Yeah ok, I did not check my spelling before posting... idiot that I am.

Psychobilly is defiantly a different sub culture they hated each other and would fight when they crossed paths. It is different dress code, everything, but I get your point.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My definition/underdtanding of gabba is perhaps different to yours then but pretty 220BPM - HMS and the like, you call that hardcore? (where do you call that hardcore out of interest). Used to sometimes wander into a "gabba" (by my definition/hardcore by yours) room at events and like it for an hour or two tops - ****in dangerous trying to do an all nighter dancing to that!

Thanks for the link :)

Gabba originated from Germany (originally called Gabba house) and the BPM is much lower, around the 160-170 mark, tends to be more like dance/trance but with distorted kicks. Hardcore is Dutch in origin and can vary from 170-220bpm but anything faster and you're getting into the realm of speedcore and terror, that stuff is crazy though, top end of that is 600+BPM which is too mental for me. Much like jungle back in the day which spawned drum n bass, breakbeat, jump up, even dubstep and garage to a degree, hardcore/Gabba evolved into loads of different styles too.
I think the MCs of that era started mistakingly calling it Gabba and it just stuck.
Used to do all nighters to that stuff (maybe slightly "assisted") all the time, met some bizarre characters over the years, never a dull night though.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Gabba originated from Germany (originally called Gabba house) and the BPM is much lower, around the 160-170 mark, tends to be more like dance/trance but with distorted kicks. Hardcore is Dutch in origin and can vary from 170-220bpm but anything faster and you're getting into the realm of speedcore and terror, that stuff is crazy though, top end of that is 600+BPM which is too mental for me. Much like jungle back in the day which spawned drum n bass, breakbeat, jump up, even dubstep and garage to a degree, hardcore/Gabba evolved into loads of different styles too.
I think the MCs of that era started mistakingly calling it Gabba and it just stuck.
Used to do all nighters to that stuff (maybe slightly "assisted") all the time, met some bizarre characters over the years, never a dull night though.

600 BPM WTF thats 10 beats per second. Gonna google it now must be like dancing to a fricking machine gun never heard of speed core. I feel a bit of a lightweight now!

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I remember being in the North Stand early seventies and almost everyone dressed in that way....surprisingly few of us left?

Well, it was a long time ago now and those of us from that era and persuasion are gradually becoming fewer in number. Of course apart from the clothing in the late Sixties skin culture there always seemed to be a West Indian guy (source of reggae records!) in every group, as well as the total nutter who always threw train light-bulbs out of the window! Relatively harmless youthful fun I suppose and none of my lot got involved in Paki/Queer bashing which was part of that culture for a time. And let's not forget "jogging" everywhere when in large groups at football, scarves on wrists of course!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Surely scooter boys were Mods?

I remember having a (brief) conversation with a fully Quadrophenia'd up look-alike in the Lanchester Polytechnic SU Bar in 1981 when I pointed out he was almost 10 years too late to be a genuine Mod and he got a bit upset. :lolol:

I never felt I was a Rocker and that it was the 1960s, even when I was riding Norton Dominators and Commandos back then. All a bit like military re-enactment societies pretending to be Cavaliers and Roundheads I thought...

Scooter Boys were again not mods, they dressed in army combats, flight jacket and docs maybe had flat tops or quiffs they also either put more extravagant paintings on their scooters or chopped them like big bikes for a laugh.
They even to this day have different rallies , with a more varied musical taste available other than soul, Motown or the who and the likes playing, anything from Bad manners, Spear of Destiny, King Kurt and Tenpole Tuder basically it was not up it's own arse like the mod scene was.

Attachments

• 19420664_385027225226074_6767825783288183992_n.jpg
    19420664_385027225226074_6767825783288183992_n.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 19420479_385048278557302_4754484705256122421_n.jpg
    19420479_385048278557302_4754484705256122421_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 21105419_1258280350983672_262418296123460585_n.jpg
    21105419_1258280350983672_262418296123460585_n.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 163

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I suppose at a real push I'd ay Grunge but that's pushing it. I never conformed to a particular group except the kids that didn't fit into a strict subset. This made us naturally, the coolest kids on the block.
One week we would be at a Soundgarden gig in London, the next weekend we'd be at some ravey nonsense in a field in Surrey and spend the Sunday on our mates motorbikes or rock climbing at Harrison's Rocks.
I'd say we mixed with most except I usually avoided any Ska/Reggae/Rasta gatherings as it really doesn't appeal to me. Other than that, most things seemed interesting.

Edit: Tell a lie, I did go Straight Edge for about a month. I like beer too much and the majority of them were hypocritical bellends.

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

WTF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ5uAWUQ4Yk 900+ BPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlRo62RjuGY&list=RDmlRo62RjuGY&t=4 100k BPM

Thanks :) I though "Gabba"/Hardcore was ridiculous this is bizarre!!!!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Scooter Boys were again not mods, they dressed in army combats, flight jacket and docs maybe had flat tops or quiffs they also either put more extravagant paintings on their scooters or chopped them like big bikes for a laugh.
They even to this day have different rallies , with a more varied musical taste available other than soul, Motown or the who and the likes playing, anything from Bad manners, Spear of Destiny, King Kurt and Tenpole Tuder basically it was not up it's own arse like the mod scene was.

Thanks for that, honestly never heard of that subset before. When I lived oop north & in the midlands it was all faux mods who rode scooters - was it a southern thing that stayed where it started?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
None of the above - always preferred to "plough my own furrow", so to speak

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Thanks for that, honestly never heard of that subset before. When I lived oop north & in the midlands it was all faux mods who rode scooters - was it a southern thing that stayed where it started?

No a lot of the northern towns had scooter clubs, and most of the rallies were actually up Norf like Morecombe, Southport, Skegness etc

I was in a several scooter clubs back in the mid/late 80s in Wigan, Stockport and Ormskirk we would have upwards to 30-40 members paying subs and going off on jollies causing mayhem. We did not like the mods, and they in turn did not like us *******ising the scooters and scene so they split.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Disappointing absence of 'Loner' option which in truth would have and does continue to apply to most on here. :thumbsup:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
None really. I was just a kid who liked sport and got on with things.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
None, but I loved the music of the hippie era/Summer of Love 1967.
I was 19 then; blimey 50 years have past and I still love the music.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No a lot of the northern towns had scooter clubs, and most of the rallies were actually up Norf like Morecombe, Southport, Skegness etc

I was in a several scooter clubs back in the mid/late 80s in Wigan, Stockport and Ormskirk we would have upwards to 30-40 members paying subs and going off on jollies causing mayhem. We did not like the mods, and they in turn did not like us *******ising the scooters and scene so they split.

Fair enough by the late 1980's I was pushing thirty and didn't really pay attention to any of this stuff!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Definitely rave.
Started listening to jungle techno when I was about 11, old tapes of Fantazia, Dreamscape, Fusion, World Dance etc. Jungle techno gave birth to jungle, breakbeat, happy hardcore, hardcore etc, I can't imagine even now I'm coming up to 40 that I will ever listen to anything other than hardcore and a bit of drum n bass.
Used to go to Stern's, travelled all over the country with mates and sometimes my brother's to attend raves.
Helter Skelter was always my place to be though, I've always preferred the harder side of music so the Technodrome at the Sanctuary in Milton Keynes is where I spent most of my youth.

Pretty much ALL of this though moved into Drum and Bass and House after that hardcore scene. Was a big time raver during my A-level years and early uni.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here