Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

• Casuals

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • Goth

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Grunge

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Heavy Metal (Metal Head)

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • Hippie

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Hip Hop

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Mod

Votes: 36 13.7%
  • New Romantic

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Punk

Votes: 37 14.1%
  • Rasta

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rave

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Rocker / Biker

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Rockabilly

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Skaterboy

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Skinhead / Suedehead

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Soul Boy

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Teddy Boy

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I voted metal head, but that really evolved from being a Glam Rocker (without resorting to glitter myself).
My early musical influences / heroes were Marc Bolan, Slade, Sweet and Suzi Quatro.
Still love all that old nonsense now, though my tastes are far more diverse than my vote suggests.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As usual Paychobilly is ignored or not recognised as a credible genre.

That's the way we like it, also scooter boy is not in there.

Both had massive underground followers in the 80s.

Surely scooter boys were Mods?

I remember having a (brief) conversation with a fully Quadrophenia'd up look-alike in the Lanchester Polytechnic SU Bar in 1981 when I pointed out he was almost 10 years too late to be a genuine Mod and he got a bit upset. :lolol:

I never felt I was a Rocker and that it was the 1960s, even when I was riding Norton Dominators and Commandos back then. All a bit like military re-enactment societies pretending to be Cavaliers and Roundheads I thought...

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
If the criteria is a greater appreciation of the music, then should there be reference to TwoTone/Ska, New Wave, Pub Rock

My tastes are wide and cover many areas, so wouldn't want to be put in a box

I think the subcultures people choose to associate themselves with are more often than not to do with their taste in the music associated with that subculture. The two are very closely linked but there are exceptions. I was also a regular at the Hungry Years in the late 70s early 80s but I certainly didn't fit into the conventional image associated with the place. My hair was either short or spikey but never long. I never considered myself a metal head but I did like the music and vibe of the place.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I voted metal head, but that really evolved from being a Glam Rocker (without resorting to glitter myself).
My early musical influences / heroes were Marc Bolan, Slade, Sweet and Suzi Quatro.
Still love all that old nonsense now, though my tastes are far more diverse than my vote suggests.

Funnily enough I nearly included Glam Rockers in the list but didn't as I didn't think there would be any takers. On reflection it was a mistake. Probably lots of early Bowie, Roxy, Bolan fans out there who also dressed the part

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Funnily enough I nearly included Glam Rockers in the list but didn't as I didn't think there would be any takers. On reflection it was a mistake. Probably lots of early Bowie, Roxy, Bolan fans out there who also dressed the part

I liked Bowie & Roxy but never 'dressed the part', aside from not being interested that side of Glam Rock I would have had the shit kicked out of me on regular basis in 1970s Northwich!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Pretty much my first ever music purchase was an 8 pack of tapes from the Edge (formerly the Eclipse) in Coventry

Back then it was really i suppose before D&B was a genre of its own it was really either dark hardcore or happy hardcore (which was breaks as we know before happy hardcore became its own genre and was pretty much 180 BPM and cheesy as - slower Gabba if you like)

The pack if IIRC contained (some of them the mixing I could and did do better)

Jumping Jack Frost
Grooverider
Slipmatt
Top Buzz
Fabio
Ratpack

And I cant remember the other 2 could have been a six pack

God I miss my tapes the joy of buying those mix packs from Obsession, Fantazia.... Loved the artwork on them too they were the pride of place next to my awai tape deck and collected so many fliers. Moved on to D&B DJing and partying wise and got quite into Dubstep for a while before retiring from parties and festivals

Happy messy days

You mention Gabba, it was always a little niggle if mine that the UK referred to hardcore as Gabba. Gabba is more along the lines of Hardstyle, quite slow, and even though it has the same distorted kicks it's usually quite melodic. Hardcore is nothing like that, HMS, Loftgroover, Clarkee, Producer, Scorpio etc all played hardcore.

I get what you mean about the tapes though, it was almost like our version of panini stickers. If your mate had a tape you wanted you'd have to bribe him for a copy with a tape of your own.
There's a site you can download digital copies of loads of old tapes, obsession, fantazia, quest, the edge, dreamscape etc. Some good memories in there, I'll find it and post the link for you.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
None of those but maybe my feminine side got caught up occasionally with boy bands - Bay City Rollers, Osmonds, et al

I actually did own a pair of tartan trousers

2E2406D300000578-3305507-image-a-213_1446743947239.jpg

Last edited:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You mention Gabba, it was always a little niggle if mine that the UK referred to hardcore as Gabba. Gabba is more along the lines of Hardstyle, quite slow, and even though it has the same distorted kicks it's usually quite melodic. Hardcore is nothing like that, HMS, Loftgroover, Clarkee, Producer, Scorpio etc all played hardcore.

I get what you mean about the tapes though, it was almost like our version of panini stickers. If your mate had a tape you wanted you'd have to bribe him for a copy with a tape of your own.
There's a site you can download digital copies of loads of old tapes, obsession, fantazia, quest, the edge, dreamscape etc. Some good memories in there, I'll find it and post the link for you.

My definition/underdtanding of gabba is perhaps different to yours then but pretty 220BPM - HMS and the like, you call that hardcore? (where do you call that hardcore out of interest). Used to sometimes wander into a "gabba" (by my definition/hardcore by yours) room at events and like it for an hour or two tops - ****in dangerous trying to do an all nighter dancing to that!

Thanks for the link :)

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Skinhead
Sta- prest, Fred Perry polo shirt ,and Doc Martens was the uniform on match days.
Mohair suit , Ben Sherman ,and loafers or "Royals" for Saturday night at the Top Rank Suite, dancing to Ska and Motown.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm not entirely sure, tbh.

Musically, I was massively into nu-metal/pop punk around the turn of the century, but have moved more towards indie/acoustic/folk sorta stuff. Had a metal/goth phase but it didnt last too long.

Clothing wise? I guess a bit of a mix between grunge, pop-punk and geek.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I agree but I wasn't asking you to label yourself just whether you identified with any of those subcultures for example having a greater appreciation of the music most associated with it. I personally wouldn't put myself in any one category as my tastes have always been very eclectic and diverse so I would struggle to pick one over some of the others. However alrhough not classifying myself as any of the above I could say I identified with some of them, some of which are in total conflict and some of which were just before my time. The ones I would pick if any would be Punk, Goth (early goth Bauhaus era) and even a bit of hippie which was just before my time but I've always liked the music associated with it. I have never classed myself as any of these but can identify with them.

Fair enough. I'd say Hippie/Indie/Soul......... with some Jazz/Blues thrown in.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I identify with punk, but at work I dress in Ben Shermans/Fred Perrys , tonics and Doc Marten shoes. I have been to two heavy metal festivals this year(Download/ Bloodstock) and Friday I went to see a Goth band , Sisters of Mercy and Saturday a Skinhead band , Cock Sparrer...... as the line in Quadrophenia goes, I'm not schizophrenic, I'm Quadrophenic.

A bit on Hardcore as well.I have gripe as well on this . Scenes nicking other names from already established scenes. Not sure what all this JCL hardcore nonsense is , but (true) hardcore has been going for over 35 years. Agnostic Front, Sick of it All, Cro Mags .... If there is not a swirling mosh pit of fists, DM's and stage divers it ain't hardcore.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Was briefly a low-key mod in the late 70s mod revival, but should have included a 'None of the above' option, and that would have been my answer.
My music tastes were/are too eclectic to pin on a tribe :lolol:

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Skinhead
Sta- prest, Fred Perry polo shirt ,and Doc Martens was the uniform on match days.
Mohair suit , Ben Sherman ,and loafers or "Royals" for Saturday night at the Top Rank Suite, dancing to Ska and Motown.

I remember being in the North Stand early seventies and almost everyone dressed in that way....surprisingly few of us left?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here