Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever been 'in the know' on the Albion?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Never anything from Brighton but I used to get the odd heads-up from contacts at other clubs when a deal was in the offing but with most of our business now being overseas I get to hear very little about incoming deals.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I am unfortunate enough to hear everything that goes through the Sun sports desk before it hits the news, plus anything that comes from their Spanish counterparts.
Luckily no one on here chooses to listen to a word I say:mad::mad::mad:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I knew somebody involved in the club and considered himself "In the know" during the early Poyet days at WIthdean. He once told me about a an ongoing incident of wallets and watches going missing in the team changing rooms and even a hidden camera eventually being involved. I won't mention the player he said was found out, but wondering if anyone heard anything similar? (Or whether it's complete bullshit)

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I knew somebody involved in the club and considered himself "In the know" during the early Poyet days at WIthdean. He once told me about a an ongoing incident of wallets and watches going missing in the team changing rooms and even a hidden camera eventually being involved. I won't mention the player he said was found out, but wondering if anyone heard anything similar? (Or whether it's complete bullshit)

Suffice to say it wasn't bullshit! There will be plenty on here who know who the culprit is..

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was told a number of things going on at the club by both sides of the 'conflict' during the time CKR was with us.

Sometimes it's better to not be in the know!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
OK. As this is almost 20 years ago now I reckon it's safe to share this...

Back in the summer of 1998 I was working out of a Central London immigration enforcement office. One weekend I went off to watch the Barnet match at Underhill and cheered to the rafters as one Emeka Ifejiagwa rose like an oversized salmon to head home the winning goal. I was all primed for some good solid gloating at work come Monday morning however; before I had a chance to get stuck in I found that somebody had popped a post-it note up on the team poster I'd placed in the office. It gave a file reference and telephone number. A quick call revealed that Mr Ifejiagwa was under enquiry by the marriage abuse team. The allegation went that he found getting married less burdensome than getting a renewed work permit. In any event, he had been asked to report back to the authorities... at 3 p.m. the following Saturday.

It gets better...

I asked the case working officer (once they'd stopped laughing) if they'd mind most awfully if I had a quiet word with somebody at the club to warn them what was coming down the track. They were happy enough for this, as it increased his chances of actually showing up for them rather than the Seagulls. I duly waded through a pile of "Scars and Stripes" to track down the number of somebody with the club's ear. I forget now but I think I initially spoke with Paul Samrah and passed word along. The next day when I went into work there was a further post-it note asking me to call "Mr Horton". Once I'd done hyperventilating at the thought of having to deliver bad news to this Albion legend I plucked up the courage to make the call and explain the situation. I can best describe Mr Horton's response as "colourful". I don't think he was entirely happy with my contribution but at least he took my assurances that I was a supporter at face value. I explained that, while I didn't presume to tell him his job, I rather assumed he would be in the starting line up for the next week and it might be a touch embarrassing if he was led off the pitch by rozzers.

And that was that. The mighty Emeka never played for us again.

A couple of weeks later my Dad and brother were at one of our Gillingham home matches when the PA announced "thanks to Mr Higham... you know who you are". I'd not told them at that time what had been going on and very quickly got a quizzical phone call asking what was up.

So that was my one time I was on the inside track and it was rubbish. All I did was deliver bad news. Sorry everybody. Forgive.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Had close contacts within the club in the 70's and 80's. Heard the story behind the Mullery/Bamber fallout re Lawrenson before Mullery resigned. Knew of the power struggle between Melia/Cattlin before the board got rid of the former. Got tipped off that Melia was coming back ( on the terraces ) for the Sheff Wed game, to launch a one-man protest. Knew that the press had been tipped off and as soon as Melia appeared, all the tabloids raced from the press box round to the North Stand. Knew that Justin Fashanu was gay.
Knew that Poyet had been talking to Reading before it went public. A contact within Reading told me that the players had already been told that he was going to be their new manager.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Never

There was a poster called Richie Morris or something who was pretty good. Haven't seen him for ages [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION]

Goes to games but has sadly stopped writing here & on his blog. Lovely bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only ever ITK moment was being told about Zamora coming back including length of contract. Then looked like a tw@ for ages before it came true. No other info

woody12a

Nov 9, 2006

I know who the culprit was and it wasn't a player ..... was very close to them though

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Unless, someone senior did chat. You're wrongly assuming that it could only ever have been from from lowly members of staff, or third hand. Pre-Barber, things were a lot looser.
You're wrongly assuming that it did come from a lowly member of staff. You'd be be surprised if you knew who it came from. Although as they didn't say it to me personally it was just reported speech. That's how these 'ITK' rumours, from supposedly impeccable senior sources, start.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

That definitely happened at another club NOT BRIGHTON as far as I am aware. It was around the time that Poyet was at Brighton.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I knew Adams was coming back a couple of days before it was announced. I got it from the same contact that told me about the Coca Cola Kid signing and Alex Revell. In usual NSC tradition I was poo poo'ed about both signings when I posted about them.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
A very close family friend is very good friends with Ray Bloom. I've been told certain generalities - re Oscar wanting to leave and why (pre-Argus interview and Derby play off), stuff around the time Hyppia left and more recently information about our war chest but the only cast iron thing I was told about was Cullip moving to Sheffield United the day before the match he sat out at Withers.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Only during the Falmer plans and the appeal because a good friend is a very close relation to John Prescott... so tipped me regularly how it was all going... which is how I knew we had got approval about two weeks before it was announced. But nothing ever from a players/transfer end!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here