Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never

There was a poster called Richie Morris or something who was pretty good. Haven't seen him for ages @Thunder Bolt
    He's still around. I've seen him and his wife at the Amex.
    Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
    NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
    If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -Mark Twain

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members
      somewhere between Worcestershire, Somerset or Amsterdam

0 Not allowed!
      Never anything from Brighton but I used to get the odd heads-up from contacts at other clubs when a deal was in the offing but with most of our business now being overseas I get to hear very little about incoming deals.
      August 1959 - August 2017
      58 years following the Albion
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I am unfortunate enough to hear everything that goes through the Sun sports desk before it hits the news, plus anything that comes from their Spanish counterparts.
      Luckily no one on here chooses to listen to a word I say

0 Not allowed!
      I knew somebody involved in the club and considered himself "In the know" during the early Poyet days at WIthdean. He once told me about a an ongoing incident of wallets and watches going missing in the team changing rooms and even a hidden camera eventually being involved. I won't mention the player he said was found out, but wondering if anyone heard anything similar? (Or whether it's complete bullshit)

0 Not allowed!
      Not directly Albion-related, but links up with another thread today...

I knew Martin Perry was going to stand for Labour just under two years before he actually did.
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arundel_Seagull View Post
      I knew somebody involved in the club and considered himself "In the know" during the early Poyet days at WIthdean. He once told me about a an ongoing incident of wallets and watches going missing in the team changing rooms and even a hidden camera eventually being involved. I won't mention the player he said was found out, but wondering if anyone heard anything similar? (Or whether it's complete bullshit)
      Suffice to say it wasn't bullshit! There will be plenty on here who know who the culprit is..
      Only the musically educated have Pet Sounds...

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Over?

Founder of the 'There's Nothing Wrong With Portslade' Society
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I was told a number of things going on at the club by both sides of the 'conflict' during the time CKR was with us.

Sometimes it's better to not be in the know!
      Only the musically educated have Pet Sounds...

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Over?

Founder of the 'There's Nothing Wrong With Portslade' Society

13 Not allowed!
      OK. As this is almost 20 years ago now I reckon it's safe to share this...

Back in the summer of 1998 I was working out of a Central London immigration enforcement office. One weekend I went off to watch the Barnet match at Underhill and cheered to the rafters as one Emeka Ifejiagwa rose like an oversized salmon to head home the winning goal. I was all primed for some good solid gloating at work come Monday morning however; before I had a chance to get stuck in I found that somebody had popped a post-it note up on the team poster I'd placed in the office. It gave a file reference and telephone number. A quick call revealed that Mr Ifejiagwa was under enquiry by the marriage abuse team. The allegation went that he found getting married less burdensome than getting a renewed work permit. In any event, he had been asked to report back to the authorities... at 3 p.m. the following Saturday.

It gets better...

I asked the case working officer (once they'd stopped laughing) if they'd mind most awfully if I had a quiet word with somebody at the club to warn them what was coming down the track. They were happy enough for this, as it increased his chances of actually showing up for them rather than the Seagulls. I duly waded through a pile of "Scars and Stripes" to track down the number of somebody with the club's ear. I forget now but I think I initially spoke with Paul Samrah and passed word along. The next day when I went into work there was a further post-it note asking me to call "Mr Horton". Once I'd done hyperventilating at the thought of having to deliver bad news to this Albion legend I plucked up the courage to make the call and explain the situation. I can best describe Mr Horton's response as "colourful". I don't think he was entirely happy with my contribution but at least he took my assurances that I was a supporter at face value. I explained that, while I didn't presume to tell him his job, I rather assumed he would be in the starting line up for the next week and it might be a touch embarrassing if he was led off the pitch by rozzers.

And that was that. The mighty Emeka never played for us again.

A couple of weeks later my Dad and brother were at one of our Gillingham home matches when the PA announced "thanks to Mr Higham... you know who you are". I'd not told them at that time what had been going on and very quickly got a quizzical phone call asking what was up.

So that was my one time I was on the inside track and it was rubbish. All I did was deliver bad news. Sorry everybody. Forgive.
      Mmm! Rhino.

0 Not allowed!
      Had close contacts within the club in the 70's and 80's. Heard the story behind the Mullery/Bamber fallout re Lawrenson before Mullery resigned. Knew of the power struggle between Melia/Cattlin before the board got rid of the former. Got tipped off that Melia was coming back ( on the terraces ) for the Sheff Wed game, to launch a one-man protest. Knew that the press had been tipped off and as soon as Melia appeared, all the tabloids raced from the press box round to the North Stand. Knew that Justin Fashanu was gay.
      Knew that Poyet had been talking to Reading before it went public. A contact within Reading told me that the players had already been told that he was going to be their new manager.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
      Not directly Albion-related, but links up with another thread today...

I knew Martin Perry was going to stand for Labour just under two years before he actually did.
      There's two years of his life he won't get back