Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever been 'in the know' on the Albion?

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Anyone care to tell of times they've been ITK with Albion gossip, transfers and goings on? If so, what was it? Did you spill the beans at the time? How did you find out etc..?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The only time is when my mate's son was offered a contract during the Withdean years. He refused to train on a Christmas Day for a game with Norwich on Boxing Day (Which would make it 2002) so didn't sign. I did post that we had offered someone a contract but no details - probably just as well as it fell through. And I think we dodged a bullet as he was a sicknote who dropped through the leagues. Biggest Albion claim to fame was picking a fight with Cullip at Withdean when he played for Massive a few months later. It was one of the many Ashley Westwoods that seem to have played recently. Started at Man U youth and went Crewe, Bradford, Massive, Cobblers, Wrexham and a few others. Think he missed pre season at Northampton after breaking his leg with a golf buggy. Not sure their fans no the real reason!

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Back in Wilkins era, I was told Ian Chapman was joining as coach a couple of days before it was announced, that's about all.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I knew Mr Oatway very well and I knew a fair bit e.g. Cullip to Sheff Utd.Players having to pay their own hotel bills once and Steve Coppell not wanting to leave us but DK was more interested in the compensation money than trying to keep him and a few other bits

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Got info that Horton was going to be the new manager. If memory serves, put it on here (did NSC actually exist back then??) but, of course, no one believed me :)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yes my son in law worked at the club. He used to pick up snippets......but not all of them were true only rumours, now he no longer works there I know nothing more than anyone else!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For quite a few years up to 2013 I knew a couple of senior people at the club. They mentioned general info about players wages which was an eye opener (some much higher than people guessed, some much lower) and about some awful player man-management / favouritism by Wendy and Poyet (not the nicest of people at times, so they were put in their place by the Board).

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Loads of people were 'ITK' before the Bloom years. Much less so now, we're a far more professional outfit now, and very little gets out that isn't meant to get our.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loads of people were 'ITK' before the Bloom years. Much less so now, we're a far more professional outfit now, and very little gets out that isn't meant to get our.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And has just got even more secure. Wasn't it mentioned last week that after the Joe Gomez move leaked out, the inner circle at the club got even tighter.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I knew that we tried very hard to get Garry Monk from Southampton a good few years back. Deal was very close to going through then we went cold on it and he moved to Swansea. Didn't mention it because I was asked not to. But it did demonstrate to me why so many rumours get out and then appear to be bullshit. Far more deals fall through than get completed. In this case it was essentially done - then nothing from the Albion. Clearly a change of plan, but not shared with the player.

If I had shared the news with NSC, I'd have been accused of being a bullshitter.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I knew the club weren't going to sing a striker, does that count as ITK?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
was told by a "100% reliable" source that Jason Roberts had been spotted at the Amex on (a) transfer deadline day - turned out to be a guy who worked in the Albion's Call Centre

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yes.

But really unless you've actually been told something specifically and directly by Tony Bloom, Dick Knight, etc, then all you've really heard is just glorified office gossip. This was bought home to me when Micky Adams left (1st time). One of my contacts, who had told me a lot of reliable information in the past, told me with 100% certainty that our next manager was going to be Tony Adams! Luckily I didn't post it on here!

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Having watched the Shef Utd transfer deadline day video - even PB and TB will not be ITK on deadline day re agents no doubt continually moving the goal posts so to speak

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes.

But really unless you've actually been told something specifically and directly by Tony Bloom, Dick Knight, etc, then all you've really heard is just glorified office gossip. This was bought home to me when Micky Adams left (1st time). One of my contacts, who had told me a lot of reliable information in the past, told me with 100% certainty that our next manager was going to be Tony Adams! Luckily I didn't post it on here!

Unless, someone senior did chat. You're wrongly assuming that it could only ever have been from from lowly members of staff, or third hand. Pre-Barber, things were a lot looser.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Over the years I used to get loads of info down to putting up pros and apprentices. A good example was when Melia was manager and wanted to bring in John Manning, his old buddy from Liverpool, in as coach for the 83/4 season. We had JM with us pre season for a month but the club rejected the appointment.
As other posters have said - little gets out these days.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
i'm in the know on one thing.............but can't say

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never

There was a poster called Richie Morris or something who was pretty good. Haven't seen him for ages [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here