Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you had the heating on yet? [2017]

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Mine has been on all summer, set to warm the house if it drops below 14C (it hasn't). Previously mrs H would sit there and whine "can we have the heating on" but now I tell her, as she shivers under a blanket, that it's on all the time and because it's an intelligent thermostat it will come on when it thinks we need it (I've yet to tell her it's adjustable).
She Will sus and when she does..........

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My old boiler is now obsolete, so getting a new one in a couple of weeks. It had better work!

By the way people, you do know you're supposed to turn the heating on occasionally during the summer, so stop the sludge settling and solidifying at the bottom of the system?

We went for a Combi boiler and so far it's been an excellent choice. The thermostat works by wireless but yet to check it works- although I suspect plumber did all that on installation.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
No heating at all here if we can help it. It costs money don't you know!

Especially since we got one of those smart meters - you can literally watch your bills skyrocket

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I note you didn't turn it off and then have a stern word.

Admit it - you enjoyed that delicious warmth for those few minutes didn't you?

Definition of a split second..... me having a stern word and turning the fire being turned off!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When the temperature in Stat Towers drops below 16 degrees the heating will come on.

Simples.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
No heating yet, have jumpers to put on before it get properly cold. I think my cavity wall insulation helps too.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
On an aside - I have dual zone heating and earlier this summer the upstairs thermostat was reading 34°C. This is actually above the melting point of ear wax. FACT.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
IMG_6226.JPG
Turned the dyson on, in the conservatory, for the first time today,since March. Makes it a comfortable room, without heating the rest of the house, which has energy inefficient solid brick external walls. Still in t-shirt and shorts of course.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
As the heating has already kicked in here, it's time to resurrect an old favourite.

I'm still in shorts and t-shirt, of course, but the central heating has made a seasonal debut "just to lift the chill off the place". This is considerably earlier than 2016.

Anyone else?

Yep. Mother on law broke her wrist today, she's 84 and was in shock. Perfect excuse.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
We went for a Combi boiler and so far it's been an excellent choice. The thermostat works by wireless but yet to check it works- although I suspect plumber did all that on installation.

Yeah, that's what we're doing too. Should improve the pressure, and give us a "new" cupboard when the hot tank goes. I suspect we'll give it a good "test" before long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here