Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looking forward to seeing over 1,000 fans at Bournemouth in the Carabao Cup!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
It really should not be beyond the wit of man to have a standardised scanning system at the gate that relays the attendance data back to the visiting club.

Here's an "ideal world" idea.
When a STH is buying a ticket for an away game, instead of getting a printed ticket sent to them they could have the game uploaded onto their season ticket card, and beep it through at the away turnstile. Non-STH’s could get an “Away card” for the season that works in exactly the same way, whereby the away game is loaded onto it, and they beep their ticket through at the away ground accordingly. Then and only then are the loyalty points added. This way the whole system is streamlined, no waiting on tickets being delivered etc.

This would of course require some will on the part of all 20 PL clubs to incorporate such a scanning system, which is probably fanciful as they don’t really get anything out of it. Nice idea though, I reckons. Doesn't address the occasional away games at a tinpot lower league ground, but at least it would prevent instances happening like like night.

Not all away grounds would use the same system or scanners - so that wouldn't work.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Wish they did away season tikl cards,then the first 3000 to purchase would be safe,the rest would just have to carry on moaning

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As annoying as it is, I actually don't blame the fans who bought the tickets for the points.

It's the club and their ill thought out loyalty system that should be answering questions here.

This.

I know that tickets for the cheap cup games are being bought by purchasers who have no intention of going to the match. The £10 was just to buy the loyalty points for the bigger games to come.

If the club endorses a system that is not fit for purpose and is open to such blatant abuse, there will always be those eager and willing to abuse it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This.

I know that tickets for the cheap cup games are being bought by purchasers who have no intention of going to the match. The £10 was just to buy the loyalty points for the bigger games to come.

If the club endorses a system that is not fit for purpose and is open to such blatant abuse, there will always be those eager and willing to abuse it.

I'm not sure of a system that could be much fairer though? The problem is it is all new to us. I am pretty sure West Brom, Stoke, Burnley have the same 'problem' as us

theboybilly

This.

Charging £25 would have sorted it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not all away grounds would use the same system or scanners - so that wouldn't work.

Hence my "ideal world" caveat.

But I don't see any reason why it couldn't just be a requirement of all PL clubs to have the same ticket scanning equipment installed at their turnstiles so that something like this could be accommodated. There's various other mandatory PL requirements already in place that clubs have to adhere to, from floodlighting, to advertising hoardings, to camera positions, to goal-line technology. So why not a standard across-the-board turnstile scanner that registers if the away ticket has actually been used, and can retain the info for loyalty point purposes ?

Another way is to send the tickets to the away club with several of our stewards, queue in sections according to the alphabet A-F etc, to pick up the tickets. Those that aren't used, don't get loyalty points. The only snag I can see it will take time to dole out the tickets, so fans would have to arrive early.

Can't see that being overly popular, having to sacrifice pub time and turn up extra early to stand in a queue somewhere for a ticket you bought weeks ago. Its a no from me, Dermott.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't see that being overly popular, having to sacrifice pub time and turn up extra early to stand in a queue somewhere for a ticket you bought weeks ago. Its a no from me, Dermott.

It would only need to happen once or twice, when people realise they have to sacrifice drinking time, and others realise they haven't got their loyalty points. It would be a deterrent.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
It seems to me that the problem isn't with the Leicester and Watford type of game but the bigger more glamorous games. Arsenal, Man U, City, Spurs ect will all sell out in no time. The thing is , all these clubs have capacities double those of most of the others yet still only have to offer us 3000 tickets. Maybe there should be a rule that say all clubs have to offer 3000 or 10% of capacity, whichever is greater.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm all for a debate, but anyone suggesting fans should pay higher ticket prices is :mad: in my book.

This is a conversation, which I am sure is happening at Albion HQ, about how best to run a loyalty system. Last night highlighted how the current system can be abused, to the detriment of actual fans not being able to go to a game that had 700 empty seats. Has to be debated, and looked at.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I refer you all to my "the new loyalty scheme is a closed shop".

The old one wasn't.

Not saying either is/was prefect though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Club need to insist that every fan has an iPhone X, the club develop an app that knows you are at the said ground using GPS, then using facial recognition software confirms we are there at that location at a set time sending the data back to the club. Simples.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Perhaps we should've charged £30 initially, and then had a few club employees inside the turnstiles handing back crisp £20 notes to the good guys who turned up.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Perhaps we should've charged £30 initially, and then had a few of people inside the turnstiles handing back crisp £20 notes to the good guys who turned up.

Indeed, shame on those we stayed away. Would have happily gone but as a non STH no chance

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am not sure what the issue is.... I was in the second tier for West Ham, logged on at 09:30 and got a ticket. Anyone in second tier of loyalty points could have done the same...There were still tickets for sale at 11:30..

No system is perfect but this system is not that broken.

Regards the game last night, i bought a ticket for the points and went. Do I care about those who did not attend , personally no, but I do believe some locally based fans would have liked tickets that could not get them which is a pity.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A friend has just pointed out that the 'Buy' option was there for most of this week, so that if people had wanted to purchase a Bournemouth ticket, then they could have. He's suggesting that certain 'loyal' fans are more interested in the fact that others might be catching them up with loyalty points rather than the fitness or otherwise of the loyalty system, so everyone should just grow a pair.

Said supporters name, row and seat number can be provided on request.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Club need to insist that every fan has an iPhone X, the club develop an app that knows you are at the said ground using GPS, then using facial recognition software confirms we are there at that location at a set time sending the data back to the club. Simples.

Bens Grandad will love that

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
A friend has just pointed out that the 'Buy' option was there for most of this week, so that if people had wanted to purchase a Bournemouth ticket, then they could have.

This is true. I bought my friend one (with his details) on Monday at about 1pm. He collected from the Amex later that afternoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here