Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 121
  1. #21
    Really Up the Junction DIFFBROOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wetherby
    Posts
    1,921


    4 Not allowed!
    I think we should have left the last loan berth for a striker. Lot harder to get a striker (as been shown ) and in the situation with Jannsen, might not have wanted to come here permanently, but a loan move might have suited.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      Gone Wrong Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Brighton Pavilion, Greenland
      Posts
      50,860


      5 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm certain the club personnel were doing their best to sign the right striker - they want to stay up as much as we do, obviously - and it seems clear the funds were there. A principal target, Dwamena - who I know from contacts at Zurich has been in our sights for a while and is hugely rated by fans there - was secured and it is a personal tragedy for a young footballer (our disappointment insignificant in comparison, some perspective is essential here) that he has a condition which our stringent medical assessment deemed to be sufficiently serious to call the transfer off.

      From what I have read it seems to be the case that most of our other targets simply turned us down. Clubs agreed terms: players didn't want to play for Brighton. We can't blame the recruitment team for that. Years of global media obsessing with the Premier League to the virtual exclusion of the other 72 clubs has meant that the 'never heard of them factor' must play a big part in the fortunes of promoted clubs in the transfer market, especially in the particularly refined striker market. Promoted clubs who arrive in the PL with a 'brand name' and 'Premier League history' are at a distinct advantage when selling themselves to Mr Celebrity Big Name Striker.

      So, you say, what about Huddersfield, in the same position as us? They did brilliantly because it just so happens that Wagner and his advisors had such detailed knowledge of his own and nearby leagues that he could identify and pick players literally no-one else was interested in, completely under the radar. Their recruitment strategy has thus been brilliant, in a league of its own. It is one I am sure we aspire to and I hope are learning from! Well done to them.

      Burnley and other clubs who are not 'glamour names?' The PL is blasted everywhere across the world. After one or two seasons their name is familiar to foreign fans and players alike, and a move there seen as a step up in a way that a move to us newbies isn't. I could go on about how our experience in this transfer window is just one more manifestation of the ludicrous imbalance, celebrity obsession and financial insanity which are the principal features of modern corporate football, but I won't.

      Fact is there were a whole bunch of players who didn't want to play for us. We have a bloody good squad of ones who do and who are perfectly capable of competing in this league and keeping us up. Let's get behind them. We're good at being underdogs and have a brilliant track record at it in the last 20 years. Let's show the prima donnas who turned us down what we're made of, folks.

      Up the Albion!
      Any reason, apart from ego, that you didn't just contribute to any of the many existing on-topic threads today?

      The clear inference is that your words carry more weight than those of other posters.

      They don't.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
    • #23
      Members
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Location
      La Rochelle
      Posts
      4,917


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Like Izquidero, Propper, Ryan, several strikers?
      I wish you would bother to actually read what I posted.

      I said.."after we got promoted"..i.e. in April.

      Izquidero, Ryan and Propper were signed long after promotion was achieved and as for your "several strikers"...??

      Anyway, carry on. My posting was questions hoping for reasonable responses......I should have realised there was more chance of signing a decent striker.
      "After an investigation, Crystal Palace have been docked points for cheating." -Playforyourclub.com
    • #24
      Stupid IDIOT Ernest's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2003
      Location
      LOONEY BIN
      Posts
      35,894


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Any reason, apart from ego, that you didn't just contribute to any of the many existing on-topic threads today?

      The clear inference is that your words carry more weight than those of other posters.

      They don't.
      At least we didn't get any mention of Dick Tight or Gillingham
    • #25
      Gone Wrong Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Brighton Pavilion, Greenland
      Posts
      50,860


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      At least we didn't get any mention of Dick Tight or Gillingham
      Or how he played The Clash at Withdean. Tho can only be a matter of time.
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson
    • #26
      Loving The Alien Beach Hut's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Living In a Box
      Posts
      63,164


      4 Not allowed!
      Good thoughts but pretty obvious, not sure why a new thread needed, good news was no new poem
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
    • #27
      Don't wait for me! Albumen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      Brighton - In your face
      Posts
      10,714


      8 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Any reason, apart from ego, that you didn't just contribute to any of the many existing on-topic threads today?

      The clear inference is that your words carry more weight than those of other posters.

      They don't.
      Maybe he looked at the 47 other threads started today and thought **** that I'm not wading through all that shite.
    • #28
      Members Green Cross Code Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Eastbourne
      Posts
      10,101


      3 Not allowed!
      Great post @atilla. I am extremely disappointed that we couldn't get at least one of our striker targets over the line, so much so that after we heard last night that we'd been turned down yet again, I was actually rendered speechless for a while, as I tried to talk to my 14 year old who'd stayed up with me to witness the 'excitement'. Last night hurt, and yes we've been unlucky but as you so rightly say, we are on a learning curve. It is good to exercise some level of composure, your statement exemplifies this, it is heartening that a difficult and disappointing situation can bring the best out of people, team included, just as it tends to highlight all of the moronic knee-jerking elements who tend to inflate this matter above all proportion.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......
    • #29
      Members Green Cross Code Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Eastbourne
      Posts
      10,101


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Any reason, apart from ego, that you didn't just contribute to any of the many existing on-topic threads today?

      The clear inference is that your words carry more weight than those of other posters.

      They don't.
      Did you single out any other poster on all the preceding threads with similar sentiments? If not I would suggest it may be you who is struggling with ego.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......
    • #30
      Damselfly Hungry Joe's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2004
      Location
      Heading for shore
      Posts
      6,864


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


      Fact is there were a whole bunch of players who didn't want to play for us

      !
      That's not a fact though is it? Outside of the failed medicals you know no more than anyone else outside the club's inner circle as to the Individual player's motives and reasonings.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •