Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 121
  1. #1
    1997 Club attila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    South Central Southwick
    Posts
    1,811

    Thoughts and perspective


    79 Not allowed!
    I'm certain the club personnel were doing their best to sign the right striker - they want to stay up as much as we do, obviously - and it seems clear the funds were there. A principal target, Dwamena - who I know from contacts at Zurich has been in our sights for a while and is hugely rated by fans there - was secured and it is a personal tragedy for a young footballer (our disappointment insignificant in comparison, some perspective is essential here) that he has a condition which our stringent medical assessment deemed to be sufficiently serious to call the transfer off.

    From what I have read it seems to be the case that most of our other targets simply turned us down. Clubs agreed terms: players didn't want to play for Brighton. We can't blame the recruitment team for that. Years of global media obsessing with the Premier League to the virtual exclusion of the other 72 clubs has meant that the 'never heard of them factor' must play a big part in the fortunes of promoted clubs in the transfer market, especially in the particularly refined striker market. Promoted clubs who arrive in the PL with a 'brand name' and 'Premier League history' are at a distinct advantage when selling themselves to Mr Celebrity Big Name Striker.

    So, you say, what about Huddersfield, in the same position as us? They did brilliantly because it just so happens that Wagner and his advisors had such detailed knowledge of his own and nearby leagues that he could identify and pick players literally no-one else was interested in, completely under the radar. Their recruitment strategy has thus been brilliant, in a league of its own. It is one I am sure we aspire to and I hope are learning from! Well done to them.

    Burnley and other clubs who are not 'glamour names?' The PL is blasted everywhere across the world. After one or two seasons their name is familiar to foreign fans and players alike, and a move there seen as a step up in a way that a move to us newbies isn't. I could go on about how our experience in this transfer window is just one more manifestation of the ludicrous imbalance, celebrity obsession and financial insanity which are the principal features of modern corporate football, but I won't.

    Fact is there were a whole bunch of players who didn't want to play for us. We have a bloody good squad of ones who do and who are perfectly capable of competing in this league and keeping us up. Let's get behind them. We're good at being underdogs and have a brilliant track record at it in the last 20 years. Let's show the prima donnas who turned us down what we're made of, folks.

    Up the Albion!
    Last edited by attila; 01-09-2017 at 15:52.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2

      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by attila View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I'm certain the club personnel were doing their best to sign the right striker - they want to stay up as much as we do, obviously - and it seems clear the funds were there. A principal target, Dwamena - who I know from contacts at Zurich has been in our sights for a while and is hugely rated by fans there - was secured and it is a personal tragedy for a young footballer (our disappointment insignificant in comparison, some perspective is essential here) that he has a condition which our stringent medical assessment deemed to be sufficiently serious to call the transfer off.

      From what I have read it seems to be the case that most of our other targets simply turned us down. Clubs agreed terms: players didn't want to play for Brighton. We can't blame the recruitment team for that. Years of global media obsessing with the Premier League to the virtual exclusion of the other 72 clubs has meant that the 'never heard of them factor' must play a big part in the fortunes of promoted clubs in the transfer market, especially in the particularly refined striker market. Promoted clubs who arrive in the PL with a 'brand name' and 'Premier League history' are at a distinct advantage when selling themselves to Mr Celebrity Big Name Striker.

      So, you say, what about Huddersfield, in the same position as us? They did brilliantly because it just so happens that Wagner and his advisors had such detailed knowledge of his own and nearby leagues that he could identify and pick players literally no-one else was interested in, completely under the radar. Their recruitment strategy has thus been brilliant, in a league of its own. It is one I am sure we aspire to and I hope are learning from! Well done to them.

      Burnley and other clubs who are not 'glamour names?' The PL is blasted everywhere across the world. After one or two seasons their name is familiar to foreign fans and players alike, and a move there seen as a step up in a way that a move to us newbies isn't. I could go on about how our experience in this transfer window is just one more manifestation of the ludicrous imbalance, celebrity obsession and financial insanity which are the principal features of modern corporate football, but I won't.

      Fact is there were a whole bunch of players who didn't want to play for us. We have a bloody good squad of ones who do and who are perfectly capable of competing in this league and keeping us up. Let's get behind them. We're good at being underdogs and have a brilliant track record at it in the last 20 years. Let's show the prima donnas who turned us down what we're made of, folks.

      Up the Albion!
      rose tinted Glasses i'm afraid
      regards
      DR
    • #3
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Location
      wisborough green
      Posts
      1,946


      2 Not allowed!
      Wish our chairmans report was as good as yours


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • #4
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Location
      Ruislip
      Posts
      12,354


      2 Not allowed!
      Couldn't see it mentioned anywhere else.
      Could we have gone for Wilfred Bony, a snip at 12 million?
    • #5
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Hanover/Elm Grove
      Posts
      7,449


      3 Not allowed!
      I agree with most of this, apart from the Burnley bit, who have signed Chris Wood, Jonathan Walters and Nakhi Wells to complement their existing forwards of Ashley Barnes and Sam Vokes. I think three of those might just have heard of B&HA, despite us not receiving the global exposure that Burnley have in two of their recent seasons.
    • #6
      #BrightonNil StonehamPark's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2010
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      8,373


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I agree with most of this, apart from the Burnley bit, who have signed Chris Wood, Jonathan Walters and Nakhi Wells to complement their existing forwards of Ashley Barnes and Sam Vokes. I think three of those might just have heard of B&HA, despite us not receiving the global exposure that Burnley have in two of their recent seasons.
      If players are offered the same deals at Burnley and Brighton, I imagine 2 factors come into play.
      1: Which team has a better chance of staying in the PL.
      2: Where would i rather live.

      In most cases, I would guess point one has much more importance the latter for the 18-26 year old professional footballer.
    • #7
      Members Silverhatch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Preston Park
      Posts
      1,005


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Couldn't see it mentioned anywhere else.
      Could we have gone for Wilfred Bony, a snip at 12 million?
      And probably well over 5m a year in wages. That'd be the stumbling block.
    • #8
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Posts
      5,353


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Couldn't see it mentioned anywhere else.
      Could we have gone for Wilfred Bony, a snip at 12 million?
      Why the hell would he choose us over Swansea!? Join the newcomers or no in an established premier league team you have played for before...tough choice.
    • #9
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      London
      Posts
      5,994


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Couldn't see it mentioned anywhere else.
      Could we have gone for Wilfred Bony, a snip at 12 million?
      Would he have picked us over Swansea, a club he already knows & whose fans already adore him? I'm not convinced.
    • #10
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      Hanover/Elm Grove
      Posts
      7,449


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by StonehamPark View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      If players are offered the same deals at Burnley and Brighton, I imagine 2 factors come into play.
      1: Which team has a better chance of staying in the PL.
      2: Where would i rather live.

      In most cases, I would guess point one has much more importance the latter for the 18-26 year old professional footballer.
      I'm not quite sure what you're responding to. I was responding to AtS' comment about Burnley signing players due to global exposure.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •