Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom's Open Letter

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
As a supporter I appreciate his honesty and his desire to communicate with fans. But I'm still astounded that we haven't signed a single player in the position we needed to strengthen most. 3 months to do the most important piece of business and we simply weren't organised enough to be ahead of the game.

I do hope that the club are better prepared by January to put this right. Onwards and upwards though.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
End of the day, the recruitment team are to blame as it was their job to bring in a striker and they didn't. It's no secret that we needed one. So surely they would have a plan A, if that didn't work, B, C, D etc...

And have the brains and nous to know that leaving it until the deadline day, we could potentially be left with no additional striker.

Someone f*cked up. Royally. Whoever was the 'striker finder' I'm sure is on a bob or 2 wages and hasn't produced a product for it. Despite knowing at least 4 months ago.

ManUre did all their deals early. I dislike Jose but you can't fault his method.

I couldn't agree less. The 'striker finder' lined them up (plan A-Z) only for us to be rejected by the club and/or player. The only thing he could be accused of is finding players slightly out of our reach, and so he ****ing should.

I'm as dissapointed as anyone, but to accuse the Albion of not trying is mental.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Indeed.

However, getting players to a team that looks doomed to relegation can be a tricky proposition and may require even greater money to be thrown at the problem in order to convince someone you actually want to commit.

We need to look like we still have a chance in the new year.

The trouble with the January transfer window is , everyone will know we are desperate for a striker or two and the fees will be even higher than now

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Or you might assume it was Tottenham whom offered him to us at the last minute once they secured Llorente when Swansea confirmed Bony. Why blame us for that? We probably got a call late doors saying Janssen is available if we wanted to do a deal, we clearly agreed this in principle with Spurs because the Deal Sheet was submitted before 11pm, we just couldn't agree personal terms with the player at such short notice.

So many ways to look at these things, but would the club have been wrong not to have considered this at the last minute?

It was worth a punt, once several months worth of strikers research and moves made had all crumbled to dust.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
That applies to most clubs i guess. The only beacon of light is that we will be part of the parachute brigade when we go down. Also the value of our players will rise providing they perform reasonably well at this level. We could easily fetch 20 million for Dunk

This must be a wind up.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We'll be selling in January, not buying.
Not far off to be fair:thumbsup:
One thing for sure is that we won't spend anything big in January as what's the point?
In the relegation zone handing out big contracts? Not goner happened.Maybe a young talented player for £5 million or loan is the only options as our squad has no hope what's so ever of escaping the drop.
I doubt this squad would win the championship to be frank :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Missing out on buying those strikers was careless .
But The real clanger was using up the second loan space on a spare keeper.
Horribly short-sighted given what was to come in the following few hours.
Maybe we could have got Jansen on loan? Or someone?
Seems to me yesterday was one big panic.
I hope it's a learning curve that will not cost us our shot at the prem, but....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If the PL is impossible to compete in, both on and off the pitch, then really what is the point...? And why only us? Club do need to admit they got it wrong because it sounds more like we're resigned to never compete at the highest level. And that's the dream killed that all football is based on, however hopeless reality is. Admitting it is a kin to saying we want relegation, we're literally out of our league!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Missing out on buying those strikers was careless .
But The real clanger was using up the second loan space on a spare keeper.
Horribly short-sighted given what was to come in the following few hours.
Maybe we could have got Jansen on loan? Or someone?
Seems to me yesterday was one big panic.
I hope it's a learning curve that will not cost us our shot at the prem, but....

The loan of Krul is a complete waste of a loan as he will probably never play a league game but if he does the purchase of Ryan was a waste of money, they cant have it both ways. One or the other is wrong.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If the PL is impossible to compete in, both on and off the pitch, then really what is the point...? And why only us? Club do need to admit they got it wrong because it sounds more like we're resigned to never compete at the highest level. And that's the dream killed that all football is based on, however hopeless reality is. Admitting it is a kin to saying we want relegation, we're literally out of our league!

Which makes what Burnley, Bournemouth, Stoke, Palace, WBA, Leicester have all done in recent years nothing short of a miracle really. Clearly it's impossible to compete in this league obviously.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
We may not have been short in any areas Tony, but....we still came up short.

It’s obviously never a straightforward process with so many factors involved to bring in a quality striker. But I still find it incredible that given the amount of time we had to sort this out, we still couldn’t get a deal over the line. Were our targets unrealistic ? Is our wage structure inadequate ? Going by the Janssen bid, it certainly looked like we were prepared to throw more money at the dilemma at the last minute, once our backs were really up against the wall, but by then it was all too late. Janssen looks like a last minute afterthought to me, not an actual target we were ever serious about until we were desperate.

I get that we’re PL rookies this season, but surely we *should* still be an attractive proposition to sign for. A club on the up, magnificent stadium and training ground, stable ownership with a well liked and respected manager, big crowds, great place to live. It’s not a hard sell to join a PL club like ours. And yet one by one, all our targets fell away until there was literally nobody left to bring in. Why ? We weren’t (to my knowledge) in any bidding wars with other clubs, where the auction just got too hot for us. Our targets stayed put, we were the only deal in town. So why ? What is the underlying reason ? This needs looking at.

I don’t just want to hear “its difficult”. Sorry, but other clubs seem to manage it, who on the face of it would be far less attractive propositions than ours. Is it simply a case that we refuse to pay the market rate ? Commendable to an extent of course, and I certainly wouldn’t want us to ‘do a Leeds’ obviously. But there is a balance to be struck, and at the moment, I think we’ve now left ourselves uncompetitive for the first half of the season. Come January the damage could be too great to rectify, and by the end of the season we could well be lamenting a swift return to the Championship, and left thinking “I just wish we’d really given it a proper go”.

Hope I'm wrong.

Couldn't have summed up my feelings any better. Mostly because of gin.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
The loan of Krul is a complete waste of a loan as he will probably never play a league game but if he does the purchase of Ryan was a waste of money, they cant have it both ways. One or the other is wrong.

I think Krul will be playing deffo, Ryan is the waste of money so far

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Not necessarily. Maybe they think Ryan will take time to adjust. Hence, bring someone experienced in for this season. Ryan could be great next year....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here