Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom's Open Letter

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Talk is cheap, type whatever you want TB and chums. You failed. Not us, we have sold out the ST and have a waiting list, we will travel home and away cheering for the team, we will spend the money in the club shop. Your job is to give us the best team possible to cheer. You failed. Shut your mouths and PRAY the manager and players you have let down can get you out of jail.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The main lesson is make sure you replace the players you lose. Akpom was the fourth striker, we now have three and that should not have happened. Period. With two or three days to go we should have cut our losses with Niasse / Barnes / Origi type of signing that would have given cover for loss of form or injury.

Aug 23, 2011
B-right-on;8104732} ManUre did all their deals early. I dislike Jose but you can't fault his method.[/QUOTE said:
They were starting from a different position and only signed 3 players (4 if you count Zlatan coming back). Those 3 were all big money deals too

Aug 23, 2011
The main lesson is make sure you replace the players you lose. Akpom was the fourth striker, we now have three and that should not have happened. Period. With two or three days to go we should have cut our losses with Niasse / Barnes / Origi type of signing that would have given cover for loss of form or injury.

Akpom was the 4th striker.....i'm not sure missing him is a weakness.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Akpom was the 4th striker.....i'm not sure missing him is a weakness.....
That's not the point, simply having Akpom provided competition and gave Hughton an option. Right now I'd almost rather have Akpom than Skalak.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We may not have been short in any areas Tony, but....we still came up short.

It’s obviously never a straightforward process with so many factors involved to bring in a quality striker. But I still find it incredible that given the amount of time we had to sort this out, we still couldn’t get a deal over the line. Were our targets unrealistic ? Is our wage structure inadequate ? Going by the Janssen bid, it certainly looked like we were prepared to throw more money at the dilemma at the last minute, once our backs were really up against the wall, but by then it was all too late. Janssen looks like a last minute afterthought to me, not an actual target we were ever serious about until we were desperate.

I get that we’re PL rookies this season, but surely we *should* still be an attractive proposition to sign for. A club on the up, magnificent stadium and training ground, stable ownership with a well liked and respected manager, big crowds, great place to live. It’s not a hard sell to join a PL club like ours. And yet one by one, all our targets fell away until there was literally nobody left to bring in. Why ? We weren’t (to my knowledge) in any bidding wars with other clubs, where the auction just got too hot for us. Our targets stayed put, we were the only deal in town. So why ? What is the underlying reason ? This needs looking at.

I don’t just want to hear “its difficult”. Sorry, but other clubs seem to manage it, who on the face of it would be far less attractive propositions than ours. Is it simply a case that we refuse to pay the market rate ? Commendable to an extent of course, and I certainly wouldn’t want us to ‘do a Leeds’ obviously. But there is a balance to be struck, and at the moment, I think we’ve now left ourselves uncompetitive for the first half of the season. Come January the damage could be too great to rectify, and by the end of the season we could well be lamenting a swift return to the Championship, and left thinking “I just wish we’d really given it a proper go”.

Hope I'm wrong.

You took the exact words out of my mouth, Excellent post.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I think he, and the recruitment team, are bang on not wildly overpaying. It's very easy for all of us to spend the club's (Tony Bloom's) money willy nilly and with no thought to the consequences.

There is not one single person on this board who has not slammed Palace and Portsmouth for their financial meltdowns and their inappropriate behaviour to get around re-paying their debts. And yet, all of a sudden, we demand to spend ridiculous sums of money on players who may or may not be successful for us. How is that any different to the crazy overspend by Palace and Portsmouth, two clubs who are constantly, and correctly, ridiculed and vilified on this forum.

Financial responsibility is boring. But when the choices are boom and bust, or caution and long term planning - I know what I choose.

The club tried to find the striker, there is no doubt about that. They failed to sign one, clearly. And that failure will be felt throughout the whole club, but we survive and we move on.

The club has said we are unsustainable in the Championship over the past few seasons when haemorrhaging money there, but we've well and truly set course back there.

kjgood

You are correct Jose did do his deals early, but there is a huge difference between 'Come and play for one of the biggest clubs in the world for a gazillion pounds a year and by the way we wll be challenging for trophys from the top of the league' and 'Come to new boys Brighton yes Brighton, we're based south of London, we'll give it a good go this year to stay in the premier league, oh could you please take a drop in salary as well'.

Really not being critical of our club in any way, i'm disappointed we didnt get a gazillion pound, twenty goals a season striker in, but lets be realistic about this. We are not in the same marketplace.

End of the day, the recruitment team are to blame as it was their job to bring in a striker and they didn't. It's no secret that we needed one. So surely they would have a plan A, if that didn't work, B, C, D etc...

And have the brains and nous to know that leaving it until the deadline day, we could potentially be left with no additional striker.

Someone f*cked up. Royally. Whoever was the 'striker finder' I'm sure is on a bob or 2 wages and hasn't produced a product for it. Despite knowing at least 4 months ago.

ManUre did all their deals early. I dislike Jose but you can't fault his method.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent

It’s obviously never a straightforward process with so many factors involved to bring in a quality striker. But I still find it incredible that given the amount of time we had to sort this out, we still couldn’t get a deal over the line. Were our targets unrealistic ? Is our wage structure inadequate ? Going by the Janssen bid, it certainly looked like we were prepared to throw more money at the dilemma at the last minute, once our backs were really up against the wall, but by then it was all too late. Janssen looks like a last minute afterthought to me, not an actual target we were ever serious about until we were desperate.

I get that we’re PL rookies this season, but surely we *should* still be an attractive proposition to sign for. A club on the up, magnificent stadium and training ground, stable ownership with a well liked and respected manager, big crowds, great place to live. It’s not a hard sell to join a PL club like ours. And yet one by one, all our targets fell away until there was literally nobody left to bring in. Why ? We weren’t (to my knowledge) in any bidding wars with other clubs, where the auction just got too hot for us. Our targets stayed put, we were the only deal in town. So why ? What is the underlying reason ? This needs looking at.

I don’t just want to hear “its difficult”. Sorry, but other clubs seem to manage it, who on the face of it would be far less attractive propositions than ours. Is it simply a case that we refuse to pay the market rate ? Commendable to an extent of course, and I certainly wouldn’t want us to ‘do a Leeds’ obviously. But there is a balance to be struck, and at the moment, I think we’ve now left ourselves uncompetitive for the first half of the season. Come January the damage could be too great to rectify, and by the end of the season we could well be lamenting a swift return to the Championship, and left thinking “I just wish we’d really given it a proper go”.

Hope I'm wrong.
Hope you are wrong too but I agree with your analysis on every point.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Hope I'm wrong.
Cracking post.Wasted on a lot of people on here though

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you are prepared to throw at a problem, if players don't fancy what will undoubtedly be a relegation battle then we just have to accept it and hope we can get enough results to the new year to encourgage players to come here then. Whilst we are Premier league ready in terms of facilities and administration, we are not yet in a position where the best players in the world would risk their reputations in a dogfight.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"... optimum time in the window .... ".

There isn't one when a club isn't a big draw to players, such as Spuds. The agent Jon Smith explained this in detail in his radio interview yesterday.

If TB is lucky enough to ever face a summer transfer window again before PL season, you can bet your last dollar that we act decisively much earlier on to address key weaknesses. An older and wiser management, whoever's handling it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here