Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else glad we didn't piss hugely inflated fees away on Johnny Foreigner mercenaries?

LARGO

Sep 1, 2017
Brighton
Lets face facts, buying players is fraught with danger, I'm sure CH has not forgotten the disaster signing of Ricky Wolfswinkel who couldn't hit a barn door at ten paces and cost 10m

We still have players that can score goals, and good midfielder's like March, Knocky, Dunky and Duffy can and do score, maybe young James Tilley can step up?

ht with danger , and when it comes to spending someone else's money "the team" have no previous experience at this elevated level, and hopefully will have learned valuable lessons from this transfer window.

Having two deals fall through because of undisclosed injuries is hardly their fault, its all a learning curve, apart from failing to get a striker they seem to have done a decent job in recuitment, after all only four other premiership teams spent more than we did in the window and they are all top teams.

We have to battle it out with teams around us and try to survive our first season, it wont be easy and its an uphill battle.

Now that the dust has settled and the spilt milk has dried we have to chin up and make do with what we have.

Whats the point in spending 10m+ on a player hardly anybody has seen or heard of? The transfer window has had plenty of those.

Buying at the last minute can mean blackmail by players trying to sell themselves at elevated prices, if they can see desperation==the price goes up!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Buying at the last minute can mean blackmail by players trying to sell themselves at elevated prices, if they can see desperation==the price goes up!!

Very true, we now know that prices (and probably greedy wage/agent demands) rise at the very end of the window for clubs with obvious squad issues to address. Unless you have say the pull of a Spurs or Liverpool where players often simply love the idea of joining them and/or working with a great coach.

A lesson learnt. Should TB face a PL summer window ever again during his time, he'll be that much wiser.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We haven't paid any inflated fees. Highest is 13 million. Peanuts for this league. You could even spend up to 20 million on a striker and i wouldn't call that inflated either in the current market.

People are making excuses now for the dreadful failings of landing a much needed forward or two.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lets face facts, buying players is fraught with danger, I'm sure CH has not forgotten the disaster signing of Ricky Wolfswinkel who couldn't hit a barn door at ten paces and cost 10m

We still have players that can score goals, and good midfielder's like March, Knocky, Dunky and Duffy can and do score, maybe young James Tilley can step up?

ht with danger , and when it comes to spending someone else's money "the team" have no previous experience at this elevated level, and hopefully will have learned valuable lessons from this transfer window.

Having two deals fall through because of undisclosed injuries is hardly their fault, its all a learning curve, apart from failing to get a striker they seem to have done a decent job in recuitment, after all only four other premiership teams spent more than we did in the window and they are all top teams.

We have to battle it out with teams around us and try to survive our first season, it wont be easy and its an uphill battle.

Now that the dust has settled and the spilt milk has dried we have to chin up and make do with what we have.

Whats the point in spending 10m+ on a player hardly anybody has seen or heard of? The transfer window has had plenty of those.

Bored with this now, we as a club ****ed up, no other way to dress up ending up with the same three strikers we finished last season with. I am over it and on we go but the number of posters who seem to accept that it was just bad luck and being new to the Premier League is astounding.

Bournemouth, who are a much smaller club than us had no problem at all signing strikers when they got promoted.

A top striker or two was desirable but not being able to land one at all is incompetence in my book :shrug:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'd have been satisfied if we's spent a few million on a lower league striker that shows some promise and see if they could step up to the PL.

If we're to the point of spending a million on a 20 year old kid surely a million or two on a lower league striker is also worth rolling the dice with.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We haven't paid any inflated fees. Highest is 13 million. Peanuts for this league. You could even spend up to 20 million on a striker and i wouldn't call that inflated either in the current market.

People are making excuses now for the dreadful failings of landing a much needed forward or two.
I've been a bit slow on the uptake, but finally all the pieces have slotted into place.

Club buys Tomer Hemed for £1+m
2 seasons later
Club rejects £5m for the now 30 year old Hemed, in the last year of his contract.
Club low balls potential deals as it's surprised by the hyper inflation of the transfer market.
Club rejects £8m for Hemed.
Club still low balls deals for Andone and t'other fella.
Finally club offers £25m Jannsen.

It's not possible to have it both ways.
They can't be surprised by the hyper inflated market AND reject offers for Hemed that rise from a staggering £5m to a mind blowing £8m.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Janssen would have left in Summer 2018 if we were relegated. So his £2.5m+ per annum payroll cost would have left the books.

I'm not saying he was the answer to all our striking prayers.

Just saying that with £130m annual income, whilst in the PL, the club could afford such figures.

£22.5 m on one player does not leave a lot for the rest of the quad, wages, overheads, administration and ground inprovements, thats 17% of our Premier league income on one player. he also is not that much of a stand out player either, i'm not convinced that would have been the best move for us.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Agree with OP to an extent. What if we'd bought a very expensive Elvis Manu?

Elvis manu was a very expensive elvis manu

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Bored with this now, we as a club ****ed up, no other way to dress up ending up with the same three strikers we finished last season with. I am over it and on we go but the number of posters who seem to accept that it was just bad luck and being new to the Premier League is astounding.

Bournemouth, who are a much smaller club than us had no problem at all signing strikers when they got promoted.

A top striker or two was desirable but not being able to land one at all is incompetence in my book :shrug:
Completely agree with you Icy.

Writing open letters is fine, but at the end of the day we have not been able to get just one striker deal over the line in over 130 days. Great that people are trying to be optimistic, but realistically we will be back in the Championship next season.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Strikers would give the club a chance of staying up, meaning not least that TB would have a chance of starting to get his loan back. Championship football with our huge cost base, even with a couple of years of parachute money, won't allow that.

My feelings completely.

It's taken us 20 years to go from the brink of non-league football, to the top division. Our failure to sign a striker will all but condemn us to relegation. Our top players will move on, and we'll be competing with 8 or 10 strong sides to get out of the Championship.

I'm glad we didn't get Janssen, but I'd rather we had taken a chance on someone. If we were relegated, we could ship them out, but at least we would have had a go.

My bet is that the club believed fees and wages would drop at the end of the window. They didn't - the gamble backfired.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£22.5 m on one player does not leave a lot for the rest of the quad, wages, overheads, administration and ground inprovements, thats 17% of our Premier league income on one player. he also is not that much of a stand out player either, i'm not convinced that would have been the best move for us.

I'm not saying Janssen was the answer. I slept through the whole affair, not knowng he was even on the radar.

Tony Bloom (not me) made the last minute decision to go for Janssen, a player Naylor told us today wasn't the type Hughton wanted.

I'm backing Bloom's call on the finances of the deal. Some fans reckon that such fees and wages (over the entire contract) just aren't worth it. The fee and entire wages of the contract are NOT a sunk cost in season one. So Janssen would not cost us £40m if we were relegated. Janssen would ask to leave and someone would buy him. Yes, there would be a cost for his stay, but not the entire fee and 4 years of wages.

Bloom knew exactly what he was doing, in a desparat late bid to give us a chance of reaching our second PL season and so secure another £100m of extra income.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In answer to the original question, I'll tell you in May. But, yes, broadly speaking I'm glad that we were only prepared to spend really big money on what look like very good players, rather than £15m here and there on Championship standard additions. Unless we go down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here