Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing i was concerned with, and still am to a degree, is that I don't currently feel like I "know" our team.

I'd find it difficult to define what "know" means in this context, but it sort of encompasses familiarity and a cosiness of feeling that I understood the personalities of most of our players. Now the likes of Ryan, Suttner, Gross, Propper, Izquierdo and Schelotto feel like complete strangers to me.

As a result, I'm currently struggling to feel much warmth towards our team. They don't feel like MY team. I hope that changes. Maybe it won't change, and it's just an aspect of Premier League life and I'll just get used to it.
    The silver lining of our Premier League recruitment cloud is that so many much loved faces from last year remain as key players...

IF we survive with this squad then it will be far more enjoyable than being a couple of places higher with more new players in.
    Boxing Day 1979 (h) W 3-0 B.Horton (pen), P.Ward, G.Ryan Att. 28,358

St. Patrick's Day 2013 (h) W 3-0 L.Ulloa (2), Sp.Dave Att. 28,499

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      I made that point this morning as well, signing just anyone for a massive fee, plus massive wages, just wouldn't sit very well with me. Obviously we're going to spend more at this level and players earn more at this level, but the hyper-inflation of this summer's market is like a whole other world to reality. It's ridiculous the amounts of money which have been spent on ordinary players. 35million for Oxlade-Chamberlain? With 12 months left on his contract? Seriously?

Janssen would have cost us something like 20million plus 50-60k per week in wages. That's a crazy financial outlay on a 4 year contract. We would have been committed to paying him over 10.4million over the course of that contract. For a player who has failed in the Premier League so far. This is the type of money you have to payout, we all get that, but if it's not the right deal for the club then we can't be critical that they didn't sign it, and to hell with the consequences.
      Janssen would have left in Summer 2018 if we were relegated. So his 2.5m+ per annum payroll cost would have left the books.

I'm not saying he was the answer to all our striking prayers.

Just saying that with 130m annual income, whilst in the PL, the club could afford such figures.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by JCL - the new kid in town View Post
      Is that not the same most transfer windows. What about summer 2012 when we had Bruno, Crofts, Kuszczak, Lopez, Orlandi, Dobbie, and Bridge all come in
      Yeah, probably.

But I'll be moody and sulky if I want to be. OK?
      Please buy from Amazon via this link. Thanks.

1 Not allowed!
      Yeah, probably.

But I'll be moody and sulky if I want to be. OK?
      Absolutely fine, i didn't mean to tell you how to feel
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      Janssen would have left in Summer 2018 if we were relegated. So his 2.5m+ per annum payroll cost would have left the books.

I'm not saying he was the answer to all our striking prayers.

Just saying that with 130m annual income, whilst in the PL, the club could afford such figures.
      yep. people wanting to not spend seem to forget the substantial income we now have. and top players dont usually want to hang around after relegation (and parachute payments should cover anyway, thats rather the whole point of them).
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      I hate the Daily Mail Doc Lynam's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      One thing i was concerned with, and still am to a degree, is that I don't currently feel like I "know" our team.

I'd find it difficult to define what "know" means in this context, but it sort of encompasses familiarity and a cosiness of feeling that I understood the personalities of most of our players. Now the likes of Ryan, Suttner, Gross, Propper, Izquierdo and Schelotto feel like complete strangers to me.

As a result, I'm currently struggling to feel much warmth towards our team. They don't feel like MY team. I hope that changes. Maybe it won't change, and it's just an aspect of Premier League life and I'll just get used to it.
      I think this only really reflects the massive jump the squads had to make from top Champ to Prem to be even competitive!
      sleeper cell

1 Not allowed!
      Gutted we didn't get a striker but in all honesty it all seemed very desperate on our part bidding huge sums for players no-one had ever heard of with very average records. The Premier League is a circus and a very expensive club to belong to, if we go down I won't lose any sleep as I quite like the Championship and we would arrive there with some very large parachute payments and be able to compete. On the plus side we are 20 million up on what we would have been yesterday.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Fifth Column View Post
      Gutted we didn't get a striker but in all honesty it all seemed very desperate on our part bidding huge sums for players no-one had ever heard of with very average records. The Premier League is a circus and a very expensive club to belong to, if we go down I won't lose any sleep as I quite like the Championship and we would arrive there with some very large parachute payments and be able to compete. On the plus side we are 20 million up on what we would have been yesterday.
      It feels like the worst possible case, but clearly it isn't. A huge fee and massive wages for a non-committed forward, would sting worse. Little old Brighton the written off underdogs. I can get behind that. It is a big ask for our squad, but we have to back them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I'm intrigued as to whom the naysayers would have signed. So, who would you have signed, when, and for how much? And no being wise after the event and saying Chris Woods, just before Burnley, and 15m. General consensus was that he had no P/L experience no pace and we could do better.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by boik View Post
      I'm intrigued as to whom the naysayers would have signed. So, who would you have signed, when, and for how much? And no being wise after the event and saying Chris Woods, just before Burnley, and 15m. General consensus was that he had no P/L experience no pace and we could do better.
      I would have gone on bended knee to Ashley Barnes and Burnley at about 5pm last night
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come