Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Keith Keith Keith Dublin herecomesaregular's Avatar

Anyone else glad we didn't piss hugely inflated fees away on Johnny Foreigner mercenaries?

13 Not allowed!
    With all the scatter shot bids we "appeared" to make to a load of players with some pretty pish poor scoring stats in foreign leagues - I am perversely pleased we didn't land any of them!!

The fees are ridiculous for mediocrity.

Prefer the Albion when we're backs against the wall anyway....

JCLs can whine away.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by herecomesaregular View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      With all the scatter shot bids we "appeared" to make to a load of players with some pretty pish poor scoring stats in foreign leagues - I am perversely pleased we didn't land any of them!!

The fees are ridiculous for mediocrity.

Prefer the Albion when we're backs against the wall anyway....

JCLs can whine away.
      Maybe we already have! Won't know until they've played a few games, will we?
      Keith Keith Keith Dublin herecomesaregular's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      Maybe we already have! Won't know until they've played a few games, will we?
      Meant upfront, specifically.

1 Not allowed!
      Well, if you've got a couple of extra million quid lying around for the inflated price of good old British talent feel free to chip in. Oh and talking rediculous fees for mediocrity, how much did Arsenal turn down for British, not-foreign, Callum Chambers?
      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"

1 Not allowed!
      No.

Supported the club since 1976.

Strikers would give the club a chance of staying up, meaning not least that TB would have a chance of starting to get his loan back. Championship football with our huge cost base, even with a couple of years of parachute money, won't allow that.

7 Not allowed!
      One thing i was concerned with, and still am to a degree, is that I don't currently feel like I "know" our team.

I'd find it difficult to define what "know" means in this context, but it sort of encompasses familiarity and a cosiness of feeling that I understood the personalities of most of our players. Now the likes of Ryan, Suttner, Gross, Propper, Izquierdo and Schelotto feel like complete strangers to me.

As a result, I'm currently struggling to feel much warmth towards our team. They don't feel like MY team. I hope that changes. Maybe it won't change, and it's just an aspect of Premier League life and I'll just get used to it.

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      I'm currently struggling to feel much warmth towards our team. They don't feel like MY team. I hope that changes. Maybe it won't change, and it's just an aspect of Premier League life and I'll just get used to it.
      That's natural when new players come in, afew goals, a bit of fight, a bit of badge thumping, you'll see that change.
      - Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract. -
      Fake News Police Ninja Elephant's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      I made that point this morning as well, signing just anyone for a massive fee, plus massive wages, just wouldn't sit very well with me. Obviously we're going to spend more at this level and players earn more at this level, but the hyper-inflation of this summer's market is like a whole other world to reality. It's ridiculous the amounts of money which have been spent on ordinary players. £35million for Oxlade-Chamberlain? With 12 months left on his contract? Seriously?

Janssen would have cost us something like £20million plus £50-60k per week in wages. That's a crazy financial outlay on a 4 year contract. We would have been committed to paying him over £10.4million over the course of that contract. For a player who has failed in the Premier League so far. This is the type of money you have to payout, we all get that, but if it's not the right deal for the club then we can't be critical that they didn't sign it, and to hell with the consequences.

0 Not allowed!
      One thing i was concerned with, and still am to a degree, is that I don't currently feel like I "know" our team.

I'd find it difficult to define what "know" means in this context, but it sort of encompasses familiarity and a cosiness of feeling that I understood the personalities of most of our players. Now the likes of Ryan, Suttner, Gross, Propper, Izquierdo and Schelotto feel like complete strangers to me.
      Agree with this. We won promotion with a #together team who I felt comfortable with, whose strengths and weaknesses we knew. Now we have shipped in these on the whole more expensive signings and we actually have no idea whether they will work out and none of them is the out and out striker we probably knew was needed. However we should give Chris the chance to make it work, his record with the Albion is pretty good so far and the season has barely started. A few good results and "warmth" will probably arise.
      We plough and sow and reap and mow ...

2 Not allowed!

As a result, I'm currently struggling to feel much warmth towards our team. They don't feel like MY team. I hope that changes. Maybe it won't change, and it's just an aspect of Premier League life and I'll just get used to it.
      Is that not the same most transfer windows. What about summer 2012 when we had Bruno, Crofts, Kuszczak, Lopez, Orlandi, Dobbie, and Bridge all come in