Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do heads need to roll in the recruitment team?

Should heads roll in the recruitment team?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
thats all very nice, however we've been light upfront for some time and now that we've a couple of injuries this is shown to be a false economy. individually Murray, Hemed or Baldock are good players, the fact that is all we have when deploying 4-4-2 is a significant problem, add in that Baldock seems injury prone and Murray is no stranger to the physio, means we've really ballsed up. i hope Tilley will be given chances now, the only good thing that can come of the situation.
Sadly I've got a feeling that one area the club will bust a gut to 'achieve' is to make sure its policy of not letting DS attacking players anywhere near the first team remains intact. Really hope I'm wrong, and that we see the likes of Tilley and Connolly on the bench.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No. I'm disappointed we haven't got an exciting new striker, but I'm not in emotional meltdown over it, and so needy that I need someone to blame.

Well said ..unlike a few who don't seem to be around when things are good they just like to stir the pot

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
No. Stop being such precious little snowflakes. We've brought in seven new players we need to bed in - more than half a team. Let's just get on with it.

Playing in inferior leagues, without a premier league appearance between them, some from relegated teams with performances not stronger than those on the bench/played last season and questionable. Nice comment. A striker would have been one hell of a lift for the club.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
My take is that it was very very clear from the moment that we were promoted that we were light up front both in numbers and quality and we should have recruited at least one striker even if he was no better than what we have so that at least we had options should more than one of the three we had got injured. It was a massive failing not to even cover that base imo . I can understand how we failed to get in a world class striker. To have ended up after two games with one striker is just incompetent imo. Surely the recruitment team have to take responsibility??

Feel free to disagree but I am not comfortable putting this down to "shit happens" in an outfit that prides itself on it's efficiency and covering all bases.

My view is that as fans we are entitled to feel unhappy, let down or angry. But we're not qualified to pronounce on people's careers based on the limited knowledge that we have.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
No. Stop being such precious little snowflakes. We've brought in seven new players we need to bed in - more than half a team. Let's just get on with it.

Well said .

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Tony Bloom will be furious and embarrassed that the momentum that he has been building here has been seriously compromised.

We knew the weaknesses, funds were available, targets had been identified. But the process failed to deliver the absolutely critical signing of a striker.

There will be consequences. It will invariably mean a change in process, probably an improvement in the recruitment team (bringing in more experience) and it could mean people losing their jobs. The buck stops with the CEO - no matter how much other people failed or interfered. If his team failed to follow procedures, then that's a different issue. Sadly, the one thing we can guarantee is that by Christmas, it will be a damn site harder to attract striker talent.

However, not for NSC to demand people are sacked. We don't know the details or the constraints they were working under.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Without knowing what their brief was in identifying players to suit our requirements, how can anyone judge whether they achieved or not.
Only Barber and Bloom will know this and as Burke obviously failed in Blooms mind and was sacked, I assume Winstanley will be treated the same, if they deemed he failed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When everyone accepts we are now in a much harder position on transfers as newbies to the Premier League the penny might drop

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How much of that was bad luck, and how much of it was bad planning ? I’d say about 20% bad luck and 80% bad planning on the striker front. We were right to pull out of the Dwamena deal once the medical revealed a potential heart problem (something the club would be even more alert to following the Goldson situation), so I don’t blame them for that. But what on earth happened to our plan B’s, C’d and D’s ? One by one they all fell by the wayside, until we were left desperately scrambling in the final few hours, and then into 1am EXTRA TIME fannying about trying to bring in Janssen, who it turned out didn’t want to come anyway! Sorry, but that’s an absolute cuffing shambles. The fact we were prepared to pay around £25m for him shows the sheer desperation we were in by that stage.

We’ve known since the middle of April that we were a Premier League club, and it’s been obvious since then that up front would be the single most crucial area where we would need to strengthen in the summer. We got lucky with Murray and Baldock staying largely free of injury last season, and whilst Hemed is a grafter, there’s certainly questions over whether he would be PL quality. I think we all know that had we landed a striker this window, he’d probably be back in the Championship this morning. Even if all 3 were fit and firing, we’d still be short of the pace and quality needed at this level. We’ve have had 4 and a half months to prepare to address this – and we’ve failed. I find that astonishing.

We are currently 10/11 for the drop with Bet365. That price will never be better, and right now, it feels like buying money. We’d better hope Izqueirdo is more than a winger, because the only way I can see us surviving now (or at least between now and January) is if this fella can put a shift in as an auxiliary striker playing off Hemed for now. We HAVE to have someone who can run in behind and drag players around, he is literally the only one in the squad who looks capable of doing that.

I can’t believe we’ve waited so long to get to the PL, and then made such an almighty Horlicks in the first transfer window.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My view is that as fans we are entitled to feel unhappy, let down or angry. But we're not qualified to pronounce on people's careers based on the limited knowledge that we have.

I really don't think the club will be in anyway influenced by what fans think so you can rest easy.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The buck stops with the CEO - no matter how much other people failed or interfered. If his team failed to follow procedures, then that's a different issue.

However, not for NSC to demand people are sacked. We don't know the details or the constraints they were working under.

I recall seeing something from the club (a fans' forum??) a few years ago that said that the head of recruitment (as well as the manager) reports directly into TB and not via PB...

I agree 100% with the last sentence.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
How is the failure to get the signings over the line the fault of the recruitment team? They identify the targets, but I doubt very much if they do the actual negotiations with players, clubs, agents, etc. If people really want to pick up their pitchforks and blazing torches and batter down the doors of the Amex looking for people to blame I wouldn't start with Mr Winstanley and his team.

If the players we've signed turn out to be shit, THEN we can blame the recruitment team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How much of that was bad luck, and how much of it was bad planning ? I’d say about 20% bad luck and 80% bad planning on the striker front. We were right to pull out of the Dwamena deal once the medical revealed a potential heart problem (something the club would be even more alert to following the Goldson situation), so I don’t blame them for that. But what on earth happened to our plan B’s, C’d and D’s ? One by one they all fell by the wayside, until we were left desperately scrambling in the final few hours, and then into 1am EXTRA TIME fannying about trying to bring in Janssen, who it turned out didn’t want to come anyway! Sorry, but that’s an absolute cuffing shambles. The fact we were prepared to pay around £25m for him shows the sheer desperation we were in by that stage.

We’ve known since the middle of April that we were a Premier League club, and it’s been obvious since then that up front would be the single most crucial area where we would need to strengthen in the summer. We got lucky with Murray and Baldock staying largely free of injury last season, and whilst Hemed is a grafter, there’s certainly questions over whether he would be PL quality. I think we all know that had we landed a striker this window, he’d probably be back in the Championship this morning. Even if all 3 were fit and firing, we’d still be short of the pace and quality needed at this level. We’ve have had 4 and a half months to prepare to address this – and we’ve failed. I find that astonishing.

We are currently 10/11 for the drop with Bet365. That price will never be better, and right now, it feels like buying money. We’d better hope Izqueirdo is more than a winger, because the only way I can see us surviving now (or at least between now and January) is if this fella can put a shift in as an auxiliary striker playing off Hemed for now. We HAVE to have someone who can run in behind and drag players around, he is literally the only one in the squad who looks capable of doing that.

I can’t believe we’ve waited so long to get to the PL, and then made such an almighty Horlicks in the first transfer window.

Preparing to go to £25m, as the clock ticks down, is madness.

Spending 4 full months low balling every deal, and never stepping up, just smacks of 'cutting your nose off to spite you face'.

Raphael's initial offer was in the first week of August.
Taking 3 weeks to find £2m isn't bad luck, it's a level of incompetence barely recognisable from a club that a matter of days later is desperately scratching around with £25m burning a hole in it's pocket.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Brilliant, this about sums it all up really. :thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Nah. We were a rizla paper away from Andone, Dwamena, Janssen. If we'd got one of them we'd all be chuffing delighted. As it is this will still go down as the most successful transfer window in our clubs history. 12+ signings of incredibly talented players and our clubs future looking brighter than ever.

The point of this transfer window was to improve our existing team, not replace them lock stock and barrel. Hemed, Baldock and Murray scored 40 between them last year and are not suddenly the most useless players ever just because we've gone up a division. We wouldn't have bought Murray in January and given Baldock a contract extension this summer if we had no faith in them at all. No, we wanted to substantially improve on these players, and in the end we couldn't get those deals across the line.

I like the ambition of our recruitment team, much rather them shooting for the stars than getting someone like Niasse, Abraham or Mounie, none of whom are an obvious improvement on the three guys we already have. We;d have been frustrated by any of them. Remember, there is no player so fantastic as the one that hasn't yet played for your team. We tried, we failed to get a striker, we try again in January and again next summer. But this is still the best transfer window we've ever had

Go and put your money on us getting relegated. Please :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here