Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rate our transfer window

How do you rate our Summer transfer business?

• 10 (Brilliant)

Votes: 4 1.0%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 9 2.3%

Votes: 54 13.8%

Votes: 64 16.4%

Votes: 58 14.9%

Votes: 67 17.2%

Votes: 67 17.2%

Votes: 31 7.9%
  • 1 (Rubbish)

Votes: 35 9.0%

• Total voters

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It could be argued that it should be a 1 given that we failed abjectly to address the number one concern, the long recognised shortfall in the striking department.

Looks like Ryan was an expensive miscalculation but who knows. That said Izquierdo looks promising and perhaps there are reasonable hopes for one or three others so it's a 4 from me.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Wow! Idiotic post of the day. Shame you can't see what's right in front of you. Getting personal means you lose the argument baldy...

You say my club has been inept, embarrassing and just plain stupid, I think I can use the same terms to describe you without being seen as the one who has lost his grip.
If it really is beyond you how we have ended up not signing a Striker this window, then I satnd by the comment regarding your lack of intelligence or imagination.
You must be aware that we have been negotiating with several clubs, for several strikers? That one failed due to a medical issue? That at least another 2 failed through the player not wanting to come? That another went elsewhere? That another was valued more highly by the selling club than by us? These are just the ones that have found their way into the papers.

Imagine it is your money, do you spend £10 million on the guy with the dodgy heart? Do you pay more than you think a player is worth? Do you pay the extra Million pound the agent wants for the players family, on top of the deal agreed between clubs for a loan?
Get a grip, if you don't want me to get personal about your level of intelligence, don't post stupid stuff.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I think when you look at the forwards all the teams we are looking to compete with, only the most insane optimistic Albion fan can suggest the window has been in any way successful.

Ignoring the likes of Chelsea, Man City etc, look at the forwards the other teams have or have signed, I'm not sure Hemed, Murray & Baldock are that bad but this is what we are up against:

Bournemouth - Defoe, King, Afobe
Burnley - Wells, Barnes, Wood, Vokes
Palace - Benteke, Wickham ** Like us they have a similar dearth of forwards but Benteke is far better than anything we have.
Huddersfield - Kachunga, Quaner, Mounie, Depoitre
Newcastle - Mitrovic, Gayle, Joselu, Perez
Southampton - Long, Gabbiadini, Austin
Stoke - Jese, Crouch, Berahino, Choupo-Moting
Swansea - Bony, Ayew, Abraham
Watford - Deeney, Richardson, Zarate, Okaka, Gray
West Brom - Rondon, Rodriguez, Robson-Kanu
West Ham - Carroll, Ayew, Arnautovic, Hernandez, Sakho
Leicester - Vardy, Okazaki, Iheanacho, Slimani, Musa

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I think when you look at the forwards all the teams we are looking to compete with, only the most insane optimistic Albion fan can suggest the window has been in any way successful.

Ignoring the likes of Chelsea, Man City etc, look at the forwards the other teams have or have signed, I'm not sure Hemed, Murray & Baldock are that bad but this is what we are up against:

Palace - Benteke, Wickham ** Like us they have a similar dearth of forwards but Benteke is far better than anything we have.

Murray & Baldock aren't up against anybody. They're injured.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Ssssshhhhh will you. Don't let facts get in the way of licking.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
7, reasonable player recruitment, imagine if we'd lost Dunk, Knocky or Stephens to really silly bids?

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
4 - genuinely confident Propper, Gross, Suttner et al will come good for us, but failing to sign any out-and-out strikers leaves us extremely vulnerable for much of the season, and potentially at risk of doing a Middlesbrough, and simply not possessing the goalscoring firepower to stay up. N.B. fair play to TB for releasing a statement this morning, things like that truly strengthen rapports between the club hierarchy and fans

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On reflection we were shafted by Gent and Zurich on hidden medical issues - one we recovered from, one we didn't.

So if we learn the lessons, then I upgrade my rating from 2 to 7, which is really just a lot of additional marks for effort.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We've built a lovely house with no roof.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
6.5 ish for me.

Strengthened in a few areas, including perhaps realising Ryan might not be all that and getting cover, a unit of a right back with loads of experience and an absolute whippet for the wing. Think Gross, Propper and Suttner with prove to be up to it as well. Striker situation is desperately disappointing but a combination of perhaps too rigid a strategy and some awful luck screwed us - sh@t happens.

Big, big job for CH now to see what he can make out of what we have. Think there is enough attacking flair and pace in the squad to at least make a fist of things providing we're positive. Hemed/Murray will be there to knock crosses in or stab in rebounds, the real danger will come from Knocky, March and Jose cutting in.

Not going to overreact at this stage, let's see how we shape up over the next half a dozen games or so.

Pretty much my thoughts...Not the disaster that some believe...Forwards thrive on service and the inch perfect ball from the midfield/wing men. Plus not having to track back to defend (which happened several times last year and distorted our shape). Still believe that games will be won and lost in midfeld...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You say my club has been inept, embarrassing and just plain stupid, I think I can use the same terms to describe you without being seen as the one who has lost his grip.
If it really is beyond you how we have ended up not signing a Striker this window, then I satnd by the comment regarding your lack of intelligence or imagination.
You must be aware that we have been negotiating with several clubs, for several strikers? That one failed due to a medical issue? That at least another 2 failed through the player not wanting to come? That another went elsewhere? That another was valued more highly by the selling club than by us? These are just the ones that have found their way into the papers.

Imagine it is your money, do you spend £10 million on the guy with the dodgy heart? Do you pay more than you think a player is worth? Do you pay the extra Million pound the agent wants for the players family, on top of the deal agreed between clubs for a loan?
Get a grip, if you don't want me to get personal about your level of intelligence, don't post stupid stuff.

Thank you for posting everything we all already know. Totally unnecessary.

The fact is, we have failed. We had more time than our rivals to address the one single most obvious gap in our squad. We didn't do so. Look at the poll result. See if I am out of line. I'm not.

It is not luck, it is all the things I listed previously. People who offer up bad luck as a reason have clearly planned inadequately, and are refusing to admit their failings. They are in denial. You seem to align with this, which shows your complete and utter stupidity.

You don't seem to understand what happened but, once you have removed your head out of Barber's arse, please do come back and comment. I will accept your apology then.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Thank you for posting everything we all already know. Totally unnecessary.

The fact is, we have failed. We had more time than our rivals to address the one single most obvious gap in our squad. We didn't do so. Look at the poll result. See if I am out of line. I'm not.

It is not luck, it is all the things I listed previously. People who offer up bad luck as a reason have clearly planned inadequately, and are refusing to admit their failings. They are in denial. You seem to align with this, which shows your complete and utter stupidity.

You don't seem to understand what happened but, once you have removed your head out of Barber's arse, please do come back and comment. I will accept your apology then.

You have just said I posted everything we already know, and that I don't seem to understand what happened, those two statements don't really work with each other.
You also seem to not be able to distinguish between a bad result and a poor effort. I could agree with the poll, that we had a poor window, but I strongly disagree that it is because the club are inept or stupid, which is what you said.
If you already knew all of the problems faced, how was it beyond your understanding, how it could be we did not get a Striker? How do any of the reasons for deals not getting done show ineptness, or stupidity on the part of the club, or are reasons for the club to be embarrassed?
It is not as though we were the only club looking to get important players in, right up to and beyond the deadline is it, are all these clubs inept or stupid?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I voted 8. If we had signed Andone or Thomas Delaney, I would have voted 9, if we had signed Janssen, I woud have reduced it to 7,.

I would not want a striker for £25 million who does not seem to be able to shoot for toffee

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here