Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Secretly Fuming

  1. #21
    Members
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Uffern
    Posts
    21,873


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Springal View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CH will be feeling let down. Screwed over in every premier league job he has had. He will get on with it but ultimately I believe he won't be here come the end of the season barring some miracle
    It's disappointing, sure, but I disagree that he's for the chop. Bloom was very tolerant of Hyypia's failings and he'll give Hughton a chance to get us back up.
    Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      10,493


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Not to add a single striker over and above what was basically a very thin striker squad from last season really is a failure of enormous proportions. I just hope the club hold their hands up and don't try and soft soap us with bullshit.
      TB will be pushed out to speak "We are Brighton, #together, really pleased with the squad improvements and a massive thank you to the two Paul's and their teams who've burnt many a midnight candle. We need your support as much as ever".

      PB the punch bag would get flak.
    • #23
      Members Weststander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Withdean area
      Posts
      10,493


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's disappointing, sure, but I disagree that he's for the chop. Bloom was very tolerant of Hyypia's failings and he'll give Hughton a chance to get us back up.
      CH is the last person who should leave. In our club set up, he's not tasked with recruitment.
    • #24
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      43,011


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      TB will be pushed out to speak "We are Brighton, #together, really pleased with the squad improvements and a massive thank you to the two Paul's and their teams who've burnt many a midnight candle. We need your support as much as ever".

      PB the punch bag would get flak.
      Cost cutting at the Academy too?
      Falmer, concrete proof that if you build it they will come
    • #25
      Pactum serva The Merry Prankster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2006
      Location
      Shoreham Beach
      Posts
      5,191


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's disappointing, sure, but I disagree that he's for the chop. Bloom was very tolerant of Hyypia's failings and he'll give Hughton a chance to get us back up.
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      CH is the last person who should leave. In our club set up, he's not tasked with recruitment.
      It's more likely that he'll take another job when it's offered.
      Half measures availed us nothing.
    • #26
      Members PILTDOWN MAN's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Location
      on the street
      Posts
      6,491


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's disappointing, sure, but I disagree that he's for the chop. Bloom was very tolerant of Hyypia's failings and he'll give Hughton a chance to get us back up.
      Don't think for a minute it was him getting sacked. If I was he and as expected we were bottom I'd walk shouting from the hilltops how shite the recruitment team was.
      “FROM the towns all Inns have been driven: from the villages most. . . . Change your hearts or you will lose your Inns and you will deserve to have lost them. But when you have lost your Inns drown your empty selves, for you will have lost the last of England.”
    • #27
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Bitterne,Southampton, close to the M27 and 65 miles from the Temple of Bloom.
      Posts
      4,510


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by mike1901 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Although he will say all the right things, I bet C/H is fuming, yet again our recruitment team have failed to get a striker over the line. Kept hearing it will go to the last minute. What a joke. Well it was good while it lasted. Only three games in same position.
      NIGHTMARE it was good while it lasted.
      ill be there every week shouting my head off chearing them on. But secretly knowing we havn't actually got much of a chance. Very very sad. Premiership ready we were not. !!!!
      Right you've said it, now go and have a lie down.
    • #28
      Ex-Gibseagull Surf's Up's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Here
      Posts
      6,409


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo Gosfield View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      He may be secretly fuming. I am openly fuming.
      Since July 1st, our recruitment ( or lack of it ) has been a shambles. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the majority of PL players possess the following attributes in lesser or greater degree. Pace, physicality and speed of thought. It is also patently obvious that the key to survival at this level is to score at least 40 goals and by doing so, reach as close to 40 points as possible.
      We achieved promotion with two good Championship strikers, both, not very mobile and lacking pace but capable of scoring reasonably regularly at that level. They were supported by Baldock, who is lightweight, lacks a top strikers instinct and is injury prone. He runs into space a lot and that encourages fans to think he could do it at a higher level. He won't. Decent at Div 1/Championship level but clearly lacking the class for anything higher. It was likely that these three would struggle to get 15 goals between them this season. Therefore, it was clear to all and sundry that we needed to loan out one of these three and recruit two new strikers, both with pace and with the potential to get 6 - 8 goals each.
      We clearly needed another keeper. Preferably big and strong to cope with the power in the PL. We needed cover at fullback and we needed good, solid defenders. Good at their job. IMHO we were ok at CB. Dunk, Duffy, Hunny Goldson looked up to it. In midfield, we needed more pace and drive to support the good but languid Stephens, the industrious Kayal ( injured early ) and the ageing and slowing Sidwell. Out wide, we didn't need a lot. Maybe one more winger, again, with pace and power but it was really the least of our worries.
      So there it is. Pretty obvious to most of us.
      We have ended up with....
      1) GK.....small, doesn't command his area, no presence
      2) RB.....very late last night. Pedigree ok but time will tell.
      3) LB......Ok going forward, under no pressure. Looks weak defensively and has already been turned inside out by opponents in just 3 games.
      4 ) CM....needed pace and power to support Stephens. We got Davy Propper. Languid, needs time on the ball. Inconsistent passer, regularly caught in possession.
      5) Attcking Mid. Key area. Breaking quick on the counter, with an eye for goal. We got Pascal Gross. Again lacking pace and not getting on the end of anything. With no quick strikers, this guy needs to be like manure off a shovel. He isn't.
      6) Wide. Looks like we might have got one thing right. The Colombian, on the evidence of a few minutes could be dynamic. Time will tell how much space he gets.
      Weighing it all up and considering the level we are buying at ( mid-range ) in the market, I would consider that we could have done a helluva lot better. A number of failed medicals suggests lack of homework or a level of naivety, that we simply shouldn't be showing at this level. We have had four months to hone a squad into potential survivalists and at present, we look extremely unlikely to score enough goals to survive. We have already played against Leicester ( 14th worst defence last season ) and Watford ( 17th ) and failed to score. It doesn't augur well.
      Excellent description of my current feelings and some of the reasons for them.
      برايتون حتى أموت
    • #29

      0 Not allowed!
      I do like to hear how other people are feeling from yet other people who are not them.

      You guys saying CH is fuming etc, you don't give him nearly enough credit. He'll be disappointed, but as of 1am this morning he will be looking at our next game, not what happened yesterday.

      He is at a fantastic club, he DOES have the backing and support of the chairman 100%. He hasn't been told, "Sorry bro, no cash for you this window", we have been and are willing to spend and invest in the squad he needs, what has happened in this window was not because of failings by the club, it's just the nature of football and the transfer market, and I don't see CH leaving football any time soon because of it.

      Get a grip please.
      - Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract. -
    • #30
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2011
      Location
      Steyning
      Posts
      1,208


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mo Gosfield View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      He may be secretly fuming. I am openly fuming.
      Since July 1st, our recruitment ( or lack of it ) has been a shambles. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the majority of PL players possess the following attributes in lesser or greater degree. Pace, physicality and speed of thought. It is also patently obvious that the key to survival at this level is to score at least 40 goals and by doing so, reach as close to 40 points as possible.
      We achieved promotion with two good Championship strikers, both, not very mobile and lacking pace but capable of scoring reasonably regularly at that level. They were supported by Baldock, who is lightweight, lacks a top strikers instinct and is injury prone. He runs into space a lot and that encourages fans to think he could do it at a higher level. He won't. Decent at Div 1/Championship level but clearly lacking the class for anything higher. It was likely that these three would struggle to get 15 goals between them this season. Therefore, it was clear to all and sundry that we needed to loan out one of these three and recruit two new strikers, both with pace and with the potential to get 6 - 8 goals each.
      We clearly needed another keeper. Preferably big and strong to cope with the power in the PL. We needed cover at fullback and we needed good, solid defenders. Good at their job. IMHO we were ok at CB. Dunk, Duffy, Hunny Goldson looked up to it. In midfield, we needed more pace and drive to support the good but languid Stephens, the industrious Kayal ( injured early ) and the ageing and slowing Sidwell. Out wide, we didn't need a lot. Maybe one more winger, again, with pace and power but it was really the least of our worries.
      So there it is. Pretty obvious to most of us.
      We have ended up with....
      1) GK.....small, doesn't command his area, no presence
      2) RB.....very late last night. Pedigree ok but time will tell.
      3) LB......Ok going forward, under no pressure. Looks weak defensively and has already been turned inside out by opponents in just 3 games.
      4 ) CM....needed pace and power to support Stephens. We got Davy Propper. Languid, needs time on the ball. Inconsistent passer, regularly caught in possession.
      5) Attcking Mid. Key area. Breaking quick on the counter, with an eye for goal. We got Pascal Gross. Again lacking pace and not getting on the end of anything. With no quick strikers, this guy needs to be like manure off a shovel. He isn't.
      6) Wide. Looks like we might have got one thing right. The Colombian, on the evidence of a few minutes could be dynamic. Time will tell how much space he gets.
      Weighing it all up and considering the level we are buying at ( mid-range ) in the market, I would consider that we could have done a helluva lot better. A number of failed medicals suggests lack of homework or a level of naivety, that we simply shouldn't be showing at this level. We have had four months to hone a squad into potential survivalists and at present, we look extremely unlikely to score enough goals to survive. We have already played against Leicester ( 14th worst defence last season ) and Watford ( 17th ) and failed to score. It doesn't augur well.
      Spot on

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •