Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] #StrikerFail - who is to blame?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
As others have said I don't think we failed due to the recruitment team, they seemed to identify targets we just failed to land them which unfortunately means the blame lies higher up the chain.
They was a lot of talk early in the piece about over heated markets etc and we just seemed slow to realise that we couldn't change that. When we accepted prices for what they are it was simply too late and we have now brought lots of shiny bits for our new car so to speak but have forgotten about the engine. I hope today we don't get any barber spin on this

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
So which of the goals conceded have been down to a lack of height.
How does his leap compare against taller keepers.

What next all players must be a minimum of 6ft 5in regardless of their ability.
A very sound policy

Lack of height no being able to hold onto the bloody ball yes I fear for him this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I woke up this morning expecting this spurs guy to have singed!

But no....how do I feel about this season. Meh

Who is to blame? We ultimately are for setting expectations that the club Ant possibly meet without spending huge amounts of money we obviously haven't got or won't spend.

For us old fans that have been here for donkeys years, ultimately the getting there was much better than the arriving.

We have found we have games at rediculous times, we can't get tickets to the better games away, we are told that things have never been better, we seem to be sidelining the players who got us to where we are.

As I see it , This season in the prem is for the youngsters and newbies to the club to enjoy and to pit the club against the best teams in Europe. Personally I am so struggling to get enthusiastic but to be fair I have been so the last few years.

I know this sounds like self indulgent twaddle but I really do not get all of this at the moment

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Not much point blaming anyone, ffs so who is accountable my f**king cat, get a grip man who is actually running this ship? Well its Bloom he has to be held to account for this debacle, he employs these jokers.

If Hughton resigns who of us would be surprised? We have let this guy down, along with Newcastle and Norwich a great manager which these clubs including us have shat on, so sad. :shrug:

So Tony Bloom is going to be held to account by fans because he has let the club down?

Hysterical.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

Who is to blame? We ultimately are for setting expectations that the club Ant possibly meet without spending huge amounts of money we obviously haven't got or won't spend.

For us old fans that have been here for donkeys years, ultimately the getting there was much better than the arriving.

We have found we have games at rediculous times, we can't get tickets to the better games away, we are told that things have never been better, we seem to be sidelining the players who got us to where we are.

As I see it , This season in the prem is for the youngsters and newbies to the club to enjoy and to pit the club against the best teams in Europe. Personally I am so struggling to get enthusiastic but to be fair I have been so the last few years.

I know this sounds like self indulgent twaddle but I really do not get all of this at the moment

I actually get all of this.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I disagree. As I've said in other threads, Ulloa was £8m 3 years ago. Strikers haven't gone up that much.
Not really. We've been trying and failing to get more strikers in each of the last 3 windows, so it's not like we didn't know it was difficult. This really is unacceptably bad.

Banging on about how mad the transfer market is and cost of players blah blah blah. How about how mad it is the bonkers money received for just being in the Premier League. Cake and eat it comes to mind.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I'm afraid that this has come from the very top.

The recruitment team had identified exactly what players were needed, but the inflated market meant that a decision had to be made whether to go for them.

Huddersfield did, ourselves and Newcastle didn't.

The decision is a high level one. Bloom runs a company that has scouts in every country in the world, so he backed that knowledge and data.

There were misgivings about that strategy a few weeks ago from within both companies.

For what it's worth, and my opinion means shit, I think that looking Stockdale was just about as bad as the striker situation - he is a player that everyone gets on with and is good enough for the PL.

I'm unsure about other signings - bar Izzy Brown and Izquerido.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Never thought I'd see the day when people were having a go at Bloom for not opening the purse strings. All take a long hard look at yourselves.....:ffsparr:

This why we r where we r today because we have tried to do this on the cheap . Yes it does hurt blaming the messiah but he is the man who had the money this gamble has truly backfired and its him who needs to look at himself .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I feel really sorry for Hughton. He achieved miracles to get us to the pl and we've let him down.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
How lucky we are that spending big cash on strikers is no guarantee of survival

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Looks like Barber tried to copy his good mate Levy and leave it all to the last minute.
Problem with doing a "Levy" is it doesn't actually work.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Bloom has made his fortune being a very good gambler. This transfer window he has gambled on getting very good strikers at below their market value both in fees and wages (whether you agree with the over-inflated market values is neither here nor there). The trouble with even the best gamblers is that they don't always win. The strategy was the gamble, the gamble went spectacularly wrong and now we are left to collectively lick our wounds. It's hard to lay blame at the door of the man who has got us to where we are, especially when he is a fellow die-hard fan and seemingly very decent human being, but in terms of who is responsible for the lack of landing a single striker and hence giving us a reasonable chance of doing ok in the mini league at the bottom then it has to be TB, and he will know it. Secondly, Paul Barber as CEO is the hard-nosed businessman who advises TB on corporate matters, so he must also take a large share of the responsibility of not realising or convincing TB that the strategy was flawed. All top businessmen in the modern world need to understand Dataism. The data was clearly there in regards to inflated fees and wages this summer. Those in business who fail (or choose not) to react to the current data quickly enough will fail. None of this is to detract from the very real dilemma of the even bigger gamble of do you spend big, potentially destabilising the club financially, with the possibility of still getting relegated? Or do you stick to your guns and hope for the best, knowing that you either have a chance (albeit incredibly slim) of pulling it off and staying up or at the worst still having a financially stable club when you get relegated. One thing is for sure, I'm glad I don't have to make those choices!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What a let down to get up and find 4 months after promotion still no striker with pace. Never mind I thought loan market available. But no wasted second loan on a goalkeeper that will hardly play. Why? Madness even if we had not got promoted it was the priority area for improvement. Hope we are not now going to hear that March and Knockhaert can do a good job down the middle. Every chance we will now go into West Brom game with a centre forward that is out of his depth and no replacement on bench. All we hear is how difficult but why are we only club in Premier/Championship with only 3 strikers in squad

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
In all this its our manager i feel most sorry for. He has a reputation of being a defensive manager who has not really succeeded in the top league. Right now he has no choice but to be cautious and stay in games and will probably fail to keep us up. Thus adding to noise around him

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
That is it in a nutshell the last decent striker that the Albion managed to put pen to paper was nearly 4 yrs ago.

Shambolic...................:(
Quite right.

Murray only signed because his wife didn't want to move to another part of the country.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Not Bloom's fault, defo blame lies at the feet of Barber and Winstanley & recruitment team. Bloom should take back their promotion bonuses

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
It's disappointing

But I refuse to turn on either the club OR the players who have actually got us to where we are.

They weren't sat on their hands, we didn't lose our targets to other clubs.... we lost them to greed.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

I'm also feeling some of this. Good post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here