Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] #StrikerFail - who is to blame?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
As I've said previously, we should not have used our last loan on an ageing keeper when we could have bought him. This would have left a loan option availble to us when the foreign deals for a striker weren't fulfilled

Aging? 29?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Actually, thinking about it, it might be [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]'s fault. His inside knowledge and top tips on the singing thread dried up this summer. And look whats happened. He clearly didn't care enough about the well being of the Albion to post his top notch well sauced inside knowledge. Shame on him. Shame. On. Him.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Not much point blaming anyone. Surely no-one will be more upset than Bloom & I'm sure he'll look in detail at what can be improved. Seems to me the same problem was aiming for better players than ultimately we were able to attract - which is a perverse sort of failure. If we'd spunked the money on vastly overpriced known quantities like Wood or Zohore we'd have had a better front line now - but probably not one even close to the excellence we appeared to be aiming for. The vast majority of clubs do seem to have struggled to get good business done in this window - agents & players getting too greedy perhaps?

The one deal that did seem really odd though was using a loan on Krul and therefore having no option for a striker for a season. I'd Janssen had been just for a year, I wonder if that might have happened for instance.

Not much point blaming anyone, ffs so who is accountable my f**king cat, get a grip man who is actually running this ship? Well its Bloom he has to be held to account for this debacle, he employs these jokers.

If Hughton resigns who of us would be surprised? We have let this guy down, along with Newcastle and Norwich a great manager which these clubs including us have shat on, so sad. :shrug:

patalan48

Mar 5, 2017
Ironically, I think that Hughton, Winstanley and Barber have by their inability to recruit a striker created a team that the manager will find difficult to coach. In the championship, the use of hold up- players and wiling defenders such as Hemed and Murray fitted perfectly with Hughton’s coaching style. With a strong defense giving up few goals, set piece opportunities and forwards capable of finding space, but lacking pace, and usually slow defenders with fewer ball control skills provided numerous scoring opportunities. However, on several occasions, this approach was unsuccessful, particularly against teams who could apply pressure and make a speedy transition between defense and offense. In these games, the tactics employed by the manager were unsuccessful. During the transfer window and from the evidence of the first few games, fans knew that fast strikers were essential to create a transitional game with some pressing to avoid having opposition defenders sitting on the halfway line. I suggest these tactics are still necessary but require a coach who knows how to use three wingers to achieve this. While I think that Hughton should remain the manager, I do believe that BHA now needs a coach, who can implement tactics like Liverpool, albeit not at the same level, using pressure, fast transition and no dependence on the single striker.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Considering the number of employees sacked for gross misconduct the CEO probably needs to look in the mirror. It is a spectacularly dreadful state of affairs, and I don't buy all of the excuses. Bad luck, bad market, bad agents, bad health - come on. I didn't think we'd challenge for Championship last year with Hemed Murray Baldock - to try again in the Premier League is utter foolishness. What's the best we can hope for ? About 20 0-0 draws until January ? Gross misconduct hardly covers it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I blame the fact that we have a cautious board and manager who need to be sure about what they are buying before they jepodise the future of our club for a player.

And I say thank **** for that, even if it means we go down this season.

Shortermism is a cancer eating away at the game and I am glad we are being wary of it.

The only downside I can see is washing through the cesspool of narrow minded blinkered short termest thinking on NSC.

We are all disappointed but it is what it is and it is not for the want of trying on the clubs behalf.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The framework within which the club is run, particularly the financial framework, is determined by Tony Bloom.in the end it proved too restrictive and unworkable. OK this parsimonious approach may have stopped the club from spunking money but when every other club in the PL, including so called exemplar clubs like Burnley and Bournemouth, are doing this we are way off the pace and quite frankly looking pretty naive and stupid. It would be unfair to blame Barber or the recruitment team when I suspect they have only been working to order. The person who has been badly let down is CH.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Burke lost his job due to poor recruitment ? and so i guess Winstanley is in the firing line.

Signing players like Ryan in this window and no strikers is not good enough.

Not one single British player with Premier league experience was signed either. To many risky foreign imports for my likening also.

You'd just write any new signing off after a game or two anyway!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That's what happens when other players have clauses in their contracts wages wise....It limits what you can go too. That's ultimately why we got no one.....and the 2nd loan because Ryan is shit has just cost us a lot more than £6m....More like £200+m...Everuone is laughing at us today and not without good reason. Utterly shambolic. Premier league ready?. What a joke.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The recruitment team seemed to have many lined up given the number we were linked to. For me they did heir job well. My suspicion is this is a CEO and Chair issue, the market moved so fast upwards and we didn't react quick enough. Let's hope this isn't terminal, that the current players up the game. UTA

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
It's clearly Barber as he is CEO. So much effort to get to the Premier League, so much arrogance in letting us get to this position. We needed to get the key players in earlier so that others would follow knowing we weren't Certs to go down. Sheer arrogance thinking we were such a great attraction. Unfortunately a season of struggle before the inevitable and then we have to deal with the restructure involved in being a Championship side again. I do wonder whether Hughton may resign as well, really hope not.
Remember last season when Barber said 'we really can't balls it up again this year on the playing front' or something similar.... aiming his challenge at the playing side for not getting promoted the year before. Well this time the person who faces the questions is Barber.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Considering the number of employees sacked for gross misconduct the CEO probably needs to look in the mirror. It is a spectacularly dreadful state of affairs, and I don't buy all of the excuses. Bad luck, bad market, bad agents, bad health - come on. I didn't think we'd challenge for Championship last year with Hemed Murray Baldock - to try again in the Premier League is utter foolishness. What's the best we can hope for ? About 20 0-0 draws until January ? Gross misconduct hardly covers it.
Have to agree. Incompetance at his level.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I'm sure people on all sides gave there best efforts but what concerned me all summer was the complacency in our efforts to get deals done and move players on. Our strategy, urgency and attitude was way off. As Manager and CEO the blame sits with Hughton and Barber. There are no excuses to be made we just need to learn, adapt and pray that we are not hopelessly adrift in 3 months time. The most frustrating thing is how obvious and predictable our failure today has been after a 4 month window was wasted. I do wonder how much Ewan Chester leaving has impacted us.

It feels like our deal making was consistently off (in a super tough environment but that is Neither here no there) and I cannot see how Hughton has any involvement in that. He will agree to players being approached of,course but fees and pay he wouldn't.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sit on the fence. :facepalm: Mr Bloom is where the blame lies he's in charge ffs.

And I presume you are talking in your very own opinion and not making it up for everyone else... you are? Ah that's good then.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The number and types of players we have been linked with makes it plain that the club recognise the need to play with a tall, strong, quick striker. Apologies for stating the bleeding obvious, but if you look down through the ranks we have plenty of promising youngsters, but not a single candidate that fits this description. Not one who is not good enough or not ready yet. This needs to be looked at, across the entire recruitment spectrum.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Burke lost his job due to poor recruitment ? and so i guess Winstanley is in the firing line.

But if both Burke and now Winstanley are deemed inadequate then the finger points to who is recruiting these people.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Signing a reserve keeper who really lacks height for a record fee {at the time) isn't inexperience but terrible recruitment. It really is. I simply couldn't believe it when i found out his height.. A key aspect of a keeper

So which of the goals conceded have been down to a lack of height.
How does his leap compare against taller keepers.

What next all players must be a minimum of 6ft 5in regardless of their ability.
A very sound policy

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Long and the short of it is that none of us have a deep understanding of the process and the people involved, so none of us can really know who is to blame (Why people in his world always have to find someone to blame anyway, I don't really understand).

People calling for Winstanley to go, who have no real knowledge of the subject, are being ridiculous, and just want a scapegoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here