Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I woke up this morning expecting this spurs guy to have singed!

But no....how do I feel about this season. Meh

Who is to blame? We ultimately are for setting expectations that the club Ant possibly meet without spending huge amounts of money we obviously haven't got or won't spend.

For us old fans that have been here for donkeys years, ultimately the getting there was much better than the arriving.

We have found we have games at rediculous times, we can't get tickets to the better games away, we are told that things have never been better, we seem to be sidelining the players who got us to where we are.

As I see it , This season in the prem is for the youngsters and newbies to the club to enjoy and to pit the club against the best teams in Europe. Personally I am so struggling to get enthusiastic but to be fair I have been so the last few years.

I know this sounds like self indulgent twaddle but I really do not get all of this at the moment
    I'm also feeling some of this. Good post.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by doogie004 View Post
      This why we r where we r today because we have tried to do this on the cheap . Yes it does hurt blaming the messiah but he is the man who had the money this gamble has truly backfired and its him who needs to look at himself .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      For me it's been about money all along.

We have clearly been identifying targets, been generally willing to pay the necessary transfer fees. However, top strikers don't play for £40k per week any more. If they do it's because they are unproven at the top level, and therefore a risk. To pay someone £80k over a 3 year contract would cost us another £6m. Peanuts compared to the hundreds of millions we would earn by staying in the PL.

Bournemouth must be the smallest club to ever play in the PL, and even they pay the going rate.

0 Not allowed!
      You win some you lose some

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by luge View Post
      I'm afraid that this has come from the very top.

The recruitment team had identified exactly what players were needed, but the inflated market meant that a decision had to be made whether to go for them.

Huddersfield did, ourselves and Newcastle didn't.

The decision is a high level one. Bloom runs a company that has scouts in every country in the world, so he backed that knowledge and data.

There were misgivings about that strategy a few weeks ago from within both companies.

For what it's worth, and my opinion means shit, I think that looking Stockdale was just about as bad as the striker situation - he is a player that everyone gets on with and is good enough for the PL.

I'm unsure about other signings - bar Izzy Brown and Izquerido.
      But it seems that perhaps the rather obvious thing to do would have been to establish if they were amenable to a move to BHA - seems a few were just not interested or were happy where they were !

1 Not allowed!
      Wagner, Silva, Clement, Parish/Dougie, bad luck, agents, Dyche, Neymar's transfer, overseas selling clubs, Howe, internal club leaks, being promoted too early.

One way or another, under the Butterfly Effect, they've contributed to the Albion's lack of PL able strikers.

Barber and Winstanley have faced a lot of obstacles.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by jameswestport View Post
      You lose some you lose some
      How negative.
      Pactum serva The Merry Prankster's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      An Albion player of recent years too me that our problem is and will always be that Tony is not prepared to pay the going rate for strikers. I think we've just seen the proof of that. It's his money, he can do as he pleases. I do however wish that they would spare us the Premier League Ready bullshit when we are clearly anything but.
      Half measures availed us nothing.
      Loyal2Family+Albion! SULLY COULDNT SHOOT's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      There's lots of blame on other threads being thrust in the general direction of "the recruitment team".

I guess it depends on how one defines "the recruitment team" but my view, which may well be wrong, is that it's Paul Winstanley and his team who have the job if identifying players who may be suitable for our needs. I would guess that part of that role may include coming up with an estimate of both up-front purchase and ongoing contractual costs.

From the point of identification, I'd assume that players that are going to be pursued become a matter for more commercially-minded folk. At the Albion, I would imagine this is Paul Barber and Tony Bloom.

Based on what I think happens (again, I might be horribly wrong), I'm finding it hard to blame "the recruitment team". It feels as though where we failed to strike deals happened further down the process than that.

Who are you blaming and why?
      No one is to blame and I find the need to find blame with everything tedious. Sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you try it just turns out to be the wrong place at the wrong time. yes we didnt get a striker and perhapsan extra CB might have been nice but we strengthened everywhere else and kept our eyes on the long term. We knew that this year would be hard and anyone with any sense knows that we might have to go down to be ready for the prem. so let's be happy with what weve got and move on.
      Hughton's army is on it's way!
      Hughton's army is here to stay!
      And I would rather be anywhere else but in its way!
      (Thank you Elvis... Costello, not Manu).

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Normandy seagull View Post
      Not Bloom's fault, defo blame lies at the feet of Barber and Winstanley & recruitment team. Bloom should take back their promotion bonuses
      Why? Explain. Bloom controls the purse strings. Nobody else. We don't have the players we wanted because we didn't offer enough money.
      "I am repeatedly a fan of his braggish self-assurance. No point, that I can remember, has he ever been foolish or incorrect. All based on scientific, biblical fact. He's a vivid sermoniser whose halo sometimes burns those who dare to question."
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Merry Prankster View Post
      An Albion player of recent years too me that our problem is and will always be that Tony is not prepared to pay the going rate for strikers. I think we've just seen the proof of that. It's his money, he can do as he pleases. I do however wish that they would spare us the Premier League Ready bullshit when we are clearly anything but.
      This. Cascarino predicted that the £40k salary cap would scupper us, and he has been proved correct. Maybe the purse strings were loosened near the end, but too late.