Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vincent Janssen

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
No, it doesn't. The form itself explicitly states that it is not contractually binding. It is the football equivalent of a Heads of Terms. There is sufficient agreement between all three parties (including the player) for there to be a decent chance that a contract can be signed in 2 hours; but it's not a guarantee.

The form requires the player's signature saying that personal terms are agreed. But, as the whole thing is not contractually binding, it can still fall apart.

So the form is meaningless. Exactly. Agreed terms but falls through based on nothing per your logic.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Absolute shambles. How are we unable to sign one striker in four months of searching?? It's so amateurish and in stark contrast to how the rest of the club is run.

We've sealed our own fate with this one. If anyone thinks we can stay up with Murray, Hemed and Baldock they are seriously deluded. As is anyone that says "the loan market opens in a few weeks". If we can't find a decent forward in four months the loan market isn't going to miraculously unearth one.

Everyone at the football club knew we were light on strikers. To be in this position is frankly embarrassing. There's no smoke without fire and there has to be something fundamentally wrong with how we are going about player recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Player recruitment has been absolutely sensational for the last few years. Yes we're all disappointed we didn't land the striker we clearly need but let's not blame the whole excellent system over one failure. I appreciate it's a very key area but it seems like a bit of bad luck played its part too.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Absolute shambles. How are we unable to sign one striker in four months of searching?? It's so amateurish and in stark contrast to how the rest of the club is run.

We've sealed our own fate with this one. If anyone thinks we can stay up with Murray, Hemed and Baldock they are seriously deluded. As is anyone that says "the loan market opens in a few weeks". If we can't find a decent forward in four months the loan market isn't going to miraculously unearth one.

Everyone at the football club knew we were light on strikers. To be in this position is frankly embarrassing. There's no smoke without fire and there has to be something fundamentally wrong with how we are going about player recruitment.

A player failed a medical and another pulled out on the 11th hour. Don't act like the club didn't try. Would you rather we did a Sunderland and brought it useless donkies? I'm pissed off too we don't have a new striker, but it's clear the club hasn't sat on its arse for 4 months.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
We should have bought Krull, leaving an opportunity to take a striker on loan !

Using our last loan on Krull is ridiculous business, am sure we could have signed him on a one year contract

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So the form is meaningless. Exactly. Agreed terms but falls through based on nothing per your logic.

Not meaningless - enough to persuade the PL to grant a 2 hour extension.

The point you made (twice, despite many people telling you that you were wrong) that I was refuting was that you said the player didn't have to sign it. They do. That's all I was saying.

The value of the form is that it gives an extra 2 hours to get a possible deal over the line. In this case, it didn't work.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Player recruitment has been absolutely sensational for the last few years. Yes we're all disappointed we didn't land the striker we clearly need but let's not blame the whole excellent system over one failure. I appreciate it's a very key area but it seems like a bit of bad luck played its part too.

I'm sorry! I don't think it's been so excellent. We have repeatedly gambled on transfers- both in keeping the price down and in who we've signed. This time it just didn't pay off. I'm absolutely gutted that our recruitment team have left us with onevfit (and not good enough) striker

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Heads need to f*cking roll over this transfer window. I can accept a dollop of bad luck - it happens, but how many transfers have gone to shit this window?

Abraham, Neto, Gomez, The Ghanaian Striker, Denswil, Andone, Babacar, Janssen.

That's more than bad luck, that's a serious level of incompetence. There's no hiding from the fact. Unless every signing we've made this summer turns in to a world beater then Bloom needs to have a long hard look at some of the absolute chancers we're apparently employing.

I thought being in the Premier League was supposed to make us one of the most attractive clubs to join? I thought we wowed potiential recruits when we spoke to them?

We've spent all this time and money to get here and what do we have to show for it? Hemed up front in the Premier League. Pathetic.

Top post

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
A player failed a medical and another pulled out on the 11th hour. Don't act like the club didn't try. Would you rather we did a Sunderland and brought it useless donkies? I'm pissed off too we don't have a new striker, but it's clear the club hasn't sat on its arse for 4 months.

I didn't for one second suggest they've been sat on their arse. But to fail to sign ONE striker (we actually probably needed two top quality ones) in four months is incompetence at its best. I dare say we also lost some of our targets due to a reluctance to pay what was being asked. Slightly ironic given another season in the Premier League is worth circa £200 million. Money that we can kiss goodbye to because we sure as hell won't be in this division next season now.

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
I love this club but our inability to bring in the necessary offensive players is a disgrace.

Our recruitment policy needs a serious overhaul and Winstanley has to go IMO.

I would call it a massive failure to not land a striker, but not a disgrace. Unless you know a lot about what is going on behind closed doors, I don't think you can lay the blame only at PW or the the recruitment team.

Wages have clearly been a massive constraint during the window - Janssen must have agreed terms in principle to register a deal sheet, after which he backed out. We've been turned down by 3-4 other European targets in the last few days (that we know about). If Janssen wanted £70k and our wage cap is say £40k, it's our inability to be flexible that is costing us the really good players.

Sure, we should have got in an average player earlier in the window... But we don't know to what extent Winstanley's hands were tied throughout. It seems to me that a lot of funds were made available very recently. Maybe Tony miscalculated things. Whatever it was, he's a big part of why we're doing so well these days so I don't see the point in writing the season off already, as some are advocating.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm sorry! I don't think it's been so excellent. We have repeatedly gambled on transfers- both in keeping the price down and in who we've signed. This time it just didn't pay off. I'm absolutely gutted that our recruitment team have left us with onevfit (and not good enough) striker

Have a look back at who we've signed in the last few years and how they've turned out.. best success rate I've known. Yes it's a bit of a joke not to get a striker in but there are other players who can play up tops who've not been mentioned too. Annoying but let's not forget the great recruitment over the last few years. I remember how excited we were when Craig Davies signed for 300k. We've spent £10mil and £13mil on 2 players. Let's just support the club now...

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Sometimes players get found out when they step up a level.
Sometimes managers get found out when they step up a level.
Maybe our recruitment team have failed with the step up.

However you look at it, we've known since we were promoted that the most important area to address was strikers. And we've gone out and signed more goalkeepers than strikers. We've signed more wingers than strikers,despite wingers being arguably our strongest position last season. It's annoying that we've had Deportivo screw us over when it came to Andone whilst Janssen and Babacar said no BUT these options should not have been left until there was 48 hours of the window left, that's the problem.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In the end, the recruitment department identified players that we wanted, but if, one by one, the deals fell through - because clubs didn't want to sell, players didn't want to come, or medicals were failed - then of course the club had to keep trying until the last minute.

CH now has to prove what a great manager he is and get the new players to show why we bought them, and some of the guys who got us here to show that they can step up - Stephens, for example, was desperate to play in the Premier League a year ago, so let's see some of that desire in the coming months. I just hope the players aren't as defeatist as some people on here.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In the end, the recruitment department identified players that we wanted, but if, one by one, the deals fell through - because clubs didn't want to sell, players didn't want to come, or medicals were failed - then of course the club had to keep trying until the last minute.

CH now has to prove what a great manager he is and get the new players to show why we bought them, and some of the guys who got us here to show that they can step up - Stephens, for example, was desperate to play in the Premier League a year ago, so let's see some of that desire in the coming months. I just hope the players aren't as defeatist as some people on here.

This.

Goodnight

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm with you on this. I think that was a major error.

Has he already mention that :)

.. because that would have given us a few hours to find a loan striker or maybe minutes whilst be negotiated the deal ON THE LAST DAY !!!!

I sincerely hope none of you are project managers identifying small pockets of opportunity to roll a dice.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Has he already mention that :)

.. because that would have given us a few hours to find a loan striker or maybe minutes whilst be negotiated the deal ON THE LAST DAY !!!!

I sincerely hope none of you are project managers identifying small pockets of opportunity to roll a dice.

What is it with you and project managers tonight ? Who needs to be a manager when you can look at FIFA stats? Come on behave.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No sugar coating this. We're not going to score enough goals, simple as. This window has mainly been a disappointment

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No sugar coating this. We're not going to score enough goals, simple as. This window has mainly been a disappointment

Having just got up and made a first stop at the Argus to see who we've signed up top, have to say, in agreement with you. Thoroughly disappointing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here