Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Karl Toko Ekambi

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I refused yesterday an offer of 14 million euros, " had confessed the President Angevin, Said Chabane, West-France . According to our information, the SCO has refused a proposal of 16 million euros from another English team, whose name has not filtered. Recently, West Bromwich Albion was interested in his profile

That says to me there are two clubs bidding, West Brom and another English team.

The Argus reported that someone else had reported that we made a bid of 12m Euros a week or so ago and were about to "up our interest"
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/15812773.Albion_expected_to_up_interest_in_striker_Ekambi/

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If thats merely all it was - agreeing fees/wages - then Andone or Janssen or Dwamena and other strikers would be Albion players now.
but it wasn't fees , wages that left us empty handed in the summer (with those targets at least) it was medicals, didn't fancy coming here thanks very much, bad luck, injuries to other players, hiccups in getting replacements in or leaving it too late or Paul Barber being rubbish.
Take your pick.

It's just so difficult isn't it. I long for the days when we used to VIDEO DOCUMENT signing players like Leo Ulloa and make it look so easy.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's just so difficult isn't it. I long for the days when we used to VIDEO DOCUMENT signing players like Leo Ulloa and make it look so easy.

Ulloa took several windows to land i think. I hope we sign someone soon so that NSC can be about how bad he is rather than debate how we're too rubbish or mean to sign him which is getting a bit long in the tooth for everyone.

PS: We also always forget that most Champ clubs (see Sheff Weds, Derby, Leeds , Reading) would look at our striker recruitment in the last 2 and a half seasons with extreme envy. (Murray, Hemed, Zamora, hatfuls of goals, promotion and a top 3 finish).
but yeah yeah. no striker, 5 goals away, bucketfuls of money, all that time to plan, Barber, sack the lot, relegation etc etc.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ulloa took several windows to land i think. I hope we sign someone soon so that NSC can be about how bad he is rather than debate how we're too rubbish or mean to sign him which is getting a bit long in the tooth for everyone.

PS: We also always forget that most Champ clubs (see Sheff Weds, Derby, Leeds , Reading) would look at our striker recruitment in the last 2 and a half seasons with extreme envy. (Murray, Hemed, Zamora, hatfuls of goals, promotion and a top 3 finish).
but yeah yeah. no striker, 5 goals away, bucketfuls of money, all that time to plan, Barber, sack the lot, relegation etc etc.

Yeah but the club banged on about Premier League Ready, having Plan A's and Plan B's towards the end of each season etc. Or was promotion a shock and caught us all by surprise?

While I appreciate how tough it probably is you are forgetting this is a number of employees jobs, not hobbies or part time helping out. But their full time jobs. If I did not succeed in my job, I'd be questioned and probably sacked. So you can see why people are beginning to question what is going on here.

And if a player is signed and does not perform then so be it, but at least be able to secure a player of the caliber we're after, god knows we've been crying out for it for a long time. And yes I know it might still happen etc

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah but the club banged on about Premier League Ready, having Plan A's and Plan B's towards the end of each season etc. Or was promotion a shock and caught us all by surprise?

While I appreciate how tough it probably is you are forgetting this is a number of employees jobs, not hobbies or part time helping out. But their full time jobs. If I did not succeed in my job, I'd be questioned and probably sacked. So you can see why people are beginning to question what is going on here.

And if a player is signed and does not perform then so be it, but at least be able to secure a player of the caliber we're after, god knows we've been crying out for it for a long time. And yes I know it might still happen etc

Who would you sack ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who would you sack ?

I don't know enough about how the club recruitment team works and I'd be sacking no-one now. However IF we fail to sign a striker, and IF we get relegated then serious questions must asked about those involved and if they are as PLR as the rest of the club.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Presumably you have a number of objectives in your job. I doubt anyone involved in recruitment has their performance judged on one position, nor on the relatively simple task of getting someone to fill that position. Getting someone who lasts the probabtion period etc might also play a role.. I suspect they may be looking at Ryan, Gross, Knockaeart, Proper, Stephens, Duffey etc etc as recent objectives that have been met. Unless of course the only measure is NSC approval, then even getting the position filled is no guarantee of "Job done"

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I don't know enough about how the club recruitment team works and I'd be sacking no-one now. However IF we fail to sign a striker, and IF we get relegated then serious questions must asked about those involved and if they are as PLR as the rest of the club.

I'm guessing they probably will...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Presumably you have a number of objectives in your job. I doubt anyone involved in recruitment has their performance judged on one position, nor on the relatively simple task of getting someone to fill that position. Getting someone who lasts the probabtion period etc might also play a role.. I suspect they may be looking at Ryan, Gross, Knockaeart, Proper, Stephens, Duffey etc etc as recent objectives that have been met. Unless of course the only measure is NSC approval, then even getting the position filled is no guarantee of "Job done"

Sorry but everyone since even last season had known we needed to strengthen up front. So much so that Paul Barber felt the need to issue a statement in September about the 'Huge Disappointment' in not securing a striker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If thats merely all it was - agreeing fees/wages - then Andone or Janssen or Dwamena and other strikers would be Albion players now.
but it wasn't fees , wages that left us empty handed in the summer (with those targets at least) it was medicals, didn't fancy coming here thanks very much, bad luck, injuries to other players, hiccups in getting replacements in or leaving it too late or Paul Barber being rubbish.
Take your pick.

All true...but we failed and given how many we failed with it’s not confidence inspiring, well to this negative **** anyway. I’d love an outcome, this time, that can give you the satisfaction of giving me the finger :smile:

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Sorry but everyone since even last season had known we needed to strengthen up front. So much so that Paul Barber felt the need to issue a statement in September about the 'Huge Disappointment' in not securing a striker.

I think we all understand that and I also share the frustration that we haven't got one.. I just don't believe that it is simply about incompetence or effort. For me the fact that PB felt that he should make a statement on it, expressing disappointment but also trying to set out the constraints that they believe they need to operate within for the good of the Club, is a sign that they do "get it". Whether the constraints are realistic or not is another debate.. I'm glad I don't have to make that decision..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely the person ultimately responsible for recruitment is the man that sets the budget that they have to operate in. Unlimited budget then we might have a front line of Messi and Neymar. Reality is that those that are looking have a budget, and rightly so. Alternatively, let's go down the Portsmouth route of recruitment!!!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
anyway after that interlude worth reminding ourselves that this thread is actually about a real target and a decent player. Who is still available. and we've more than likely had bids turned down for but intend to offer more. Not all is lost. :)

yet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Tony Bloom has had no problems sacking people in the past. Ken Brown, David Burke etc so if the recruitment/finance dept are failing so badly, then they will be sacked.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"When I find myself in times of trouble
It's Karl Toko Ekambi
Goal ratio in the French league?
One in three, one in three"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Palace, Stoke, WBA, and others including us are all looking so who knows.

I find that vaguely amusing after how this season has panned out....I think we might be first choice out of that lot now, who’d have thunk it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here