Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker Ashley Barnes*set to leave Turf Moor

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I was not too bothered when Gray was sold (pace only real asset) but I would have been very disappointed if we had lost Barnes (a limited but very useful 100% player).

I still think Barnes will score vital goals this season (maybe from the bench) but I am bemused why Dyche would even consider selling him - Burnley certainly do not need the money (they've brought in more than they have spent this summer on top of the TV money).

I can only think that our manager thinks he can get more out of Wood & Wells than their previous clubs have managed - Dyche has history for this (eg Huddersfield fans laughed when we signed Arfield, Hull fans laughed when we signed Boyd, similar with Tom Heaton, Dave Jones and Dean Marney.

All have made massive strides since they have played for Dyche. Even, the lazy Defour seems to be putting a shift in this season (maybe hoping for a Belgium recall).

Still, I can see Barnes moving in January if he is not getting much game time. But if he is not playing, it would probably mean we will be doing OK.

Perhaps it was the hamstring problems but I never really saw the pace which Gray must have had. Only saw the Clarets live once last season and at Watford he was outpaced by Kaboul numerous times. The first a diagonal run where he had 5 yards on him, I thought 'here we go' and proceeded to watch Kaboul overtake him with ease.

Gray has a lot of the raw material for a great striker, he's climbed the divisions rapidly and perhaps he needs a few seasons to find his touch which isn't great.

Good points on Dyche getting players to improve, remember the Huddersfield fans and their comments about Arfield. I sense Wells is just there to offer something different, we seem to have a core starting line up with a number of players (such as Wells) offered the chance to impress and make a statement when the chance comes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here