Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good ways to learn a Language?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
That's a good way to learn a musical instrument as well. If you want, for instance, to learn the fiddle and you can find an accordionist at a similar level you'll sound like a couple of vieux gitans in no time!

I'm led to believe that I already sound like an old git...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I lived in Rotterdam for a while back in the mid-80's and learnt Dutch that way. Unlike many European tv companies, the Dutch leave all their English and American tv programmes in English and put Dutch subtitles up. It was a brilliant way to learn the language. Listen and read, and as you say, really helped on the pronunciation.

The Rrrrrrotterrrrrdam accent is rrrrrrrreallly rrrrrrrrrough on the earrrrrrrs though. (Granted, not as bad as "cough/rasp/splatter" Amsterdam... )

Don Parasol

Jan 29, 2017
Full immersion is the best way, as much as is possible.

Try and get spend extended periods in that country, alongside any day to day learning back home. In Spain for example, try somewhere not frequented by lots of English people. Trickier for adults than children but possible if you surround yourself with it whenever you can

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Another thing I do is a couple of online games I play.
I've joined spanish clans/groups so you can chat to your team players having fun playing the game and learning a bit of lingo in the process

My two teenagers are both studying Spanish (one to degree level, one about to start A-level). They set the commentary of FIFA to Spanish or French or German, as an aid (and because it becomes a REALLY annoying background noise for the rest of us)

I presume they now know by heart, how to say 'He'll be disappointed with that, Clive' in four different languages.

4goals

Jul 26, 2016
Duolingo & Memrise apps have served me well, but nothing beats going to the country of choice to get more fluent

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Full immersion is the best way, as much as is possible.

Try and get spend extended periods in that country, alongside any day to day learning back home. In Spain for example, try somewhere not frequented by lots of English people. Trickier for adults than children but possible if you surround yourself with it whenever you can

This. I used to go to Germany with British mates and we spoke German to each other - even when there were no Germans around - you have to completely immerse yourself in the language. So, go to Spain with Spanish people, or Spanish-speaking Brits, and forget English for a bit.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The Rrrrrrotterrrrrdam accent is rrrrrrrreallly rrrrrrrrrough on the earrrrrrrs though. (Granted, not as bad as "cough/rasp/splatter" Amsterdam... )

I did once get told by a Dutch native I have a Rotterdam accent when I speak Dutch. Personally no idea, but hey-ho.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I did once get told by a Dutch native I have a Rotterdam accent when I speak Dutch. Personally no idea, but hey-ho.

Quick guide:
Rotterdammers like to rrrrolll their rrrrs.
Hagenaars sound like they're talking whilst chewing a toffee.
All Amsterdammers appear to have a serious throat disease.
Limburgers sound like they're inhaling helium whilst talking.
Groningen and Friesland - hard to tell, they're unintelligble most of the time.
Brabants is lovely and soft and easy on the ear... not that I'm biased in any way.

My accent is somewhere between Brabants and a determinedly undutchable Englishman, but since my grammar isn't great and I often get the word order wrong when trying to convey anything complex, I actually sound like Yoda to most Dutch people... If you can manage a passable Rotterdam accent I salute you. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here