Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should I cancel Sky

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
On a similar subject, has anyone had any success negotiating lower bills from Virgin?

We've been offered a deal to stay which is £11 a month more expensive than the exact same package for new customers (which also has the latest box). Done the old 'threatening to leave' bit, but was told their best offer is a £4 loyalty discount. In the past I have managed to get £10 discounts.

Other providers don't offer a similar 'mid-range' package, and I don't want to have a satellite dish for Sky.

I know there was a thread on this recently, which related to Sky, but Virgin tell me it is against their policy to offer high 'loyalty' discounts.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
You should cancel it anyway, Sky subscribers are a massive reason football has gone into meltdown financially and why so many real football fans are being priced out from watching their beloved teams.

I still don't get this argument.

It isn't the fault of Sky surely? It is the FA and Premier League not having a limit on the value of games packages and enabling people to bid on them. As such the price rockets as with any auction and they recoup their money from their customers

Sky get all the grief because they are the only ones that, until now, have paid for it

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
My mums in sheltered accommodation . The old dear down the corridor had been paying the full whack to BT for Internet / sport / HD / phone (over a £100 a month ) simply because BT had dropped a junk letter through her door saying blurb about the digital switchover / freeview thing several years back. She thought she needed it just to watch the box as normal.

She simply watches the 4 old channels and has never used the internet / HD and only had a phone contract that she rarely used as she had no friends or family. (BT engineers had even turned up and fitted the whole malarky)

All done over the phone. This must be endemic with many old folk who are clueless. I managed to get her compensated back to the start of the contract.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Get Now TV it's a no brainier. You can't over pay, you can cancel any time without charge, you can pay weekly or monthly and it has Sky Sports, Sky Cinema, Sky entertainment and sky kids channels. You can mix what you pay for.

My kids bought me a one month subscription for father's day, which I used to watch the Lions rugby. Prior to that I had an account with credit card details which I had used to pay for the odd day pass to watch Brighton games. The one month subscription with no ties, included a sneaky auto-renewal, which I just picked up on my credit card statement and had to then jump through six hoops to cancel. The Email with the auto-renewal came through just after I got everything working, so wasn't really interested in reading another fascinating welcome to NOWTV promo. There was no Email to confirm that they had subsequently taken the money from my account, but I could look forward to 10 channels of sport.

From choice I do subscribe to Boxnation and in comparison to NOWTV and the Murdoch's Frank Warren is an honest and trustworthy businessman.

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011
From choice I do subscribe to Boxnation and in comparison to NOWTV and the Murdoch's Frank Warren is an honest and trustworthy businessman.

Do you actually mean that about Warren or is that sarcasm? I actually like the way Frank and George Warren go about there business these days, well in comparison to the double glazing salesman like rubbish from Hearn. The Boxnation subscription is worth it if only for GGG vs Canelo in a few weeks, can't wait for that.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Do you actually mean that about Warren or is that sarcasm? I actually like the way Frank and George Warren go about there business these days, well in comparison to the double glazing salesman like rubbish from Hearn. The Boxnation subscription is worth it if only for GGG vs Canelo in a few weeks, can't wait for that.
Yes boxnation is well run and I don't begrudge paying for a good service. GGG v Canelo is going to be one hell of a fight. Is GGG over the hill or was his last fight just a bad night?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
On a similar subject, has anyone had any success negotiating lower bills from Virgin?

We've been offered a deal to stay which is £11 a month more expensive than the exact same package for new customers (which also has the latest box). Done the old 'threatening to leave' bit, but was told their best offer is a £4 loyalty discount. In the past I have managed to get £10 discounts.

Other providers don't offer a similar 'mid-range' package, and I don't want to have a satellite dish for Sky.

I know there was a thread on this recently, which related to Sky, but Virgin tell me it is against their policy to offer high 'loyalty' discounts.

Just be persistent and keep calling them. As a last resort ask for customer services and tell them you are leaving and going to SKY. You may get some movement on price there and then. If not then give your months notice and wait for texts/calls offering you better terms. If they let you go for the sake of a tenner a month you will be the first customer that has happened to. Oh and try and make sure you speak to people in the U.K. If you get through to a foreign call centre demand an immediate transfer back to the UK.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Just be persistent and keep calling them. As a last resort ask for customer services and tell them you are leaving and going to SKY. You may get some movement on price there and then. If not then give your months notice and wait for texts/calls offering you better terms. If they let you go for the sake of a tenner a month you will be the first customer that has happened to. Oh and try and make sure you speak to people in the U.K. If you get through to a foreign call centre demand an immediate transfer back to the UK.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I still don't get this argument.

It isn't the fault of Sky surely? It is the FA and Premier League not having a limit on the value of games packages and enabling people to bid on them. As such the price rockets as with any auction and they recoup their money from their customers

Sky get all the grief because they are the only ones that, until now, have paid for it

If there are no subscribers there is much chance of the money being as out of control as it is

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Indeed. If that wretched Murdoch hadn't made football so popular and exciting no one would go and the matches wouldn't sell out. With no demand the clubs would have to lower their admission prices.

football was around long before Sky arrived and there was plenty of football before the Premier league arrived.

Football would survive because the fans would make sure it did.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
You should cancel it anyway, Sky subscribers are a massive reason football has gone into meltdown financially and why so many real football fans are being priced out from watching their beloved teams.

So its not Brighton charging too much money then?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
My kids bought me a one month subscription for father's day, which I used to watch the Lions rugby. Prior to that I had an account with credit card details which I had used to pay for the odd day pass to watch Brighton games. The one month subscription with no ties, included a sneaky auto-renewal, which I just picked up on my credit card statement and had to then jump through six hoops to cancel. The Email with the auto-renewal came through just after I got everything working, so wasn't really interested in reading another fascinating welcome to NOWTV promo. There was no Email to confirm that they had subsequently taken the money from my account, but I could look forward to 10 channels of sport.

There is nothing sneaky about the auto renewal on Now TV (your kids bought you a month on YOUR credit card ??). When you buy/activate a pass, wait 2 seconds and then cancel - no auto renewal. Don't know why you had to go through 6 hoops or whatever to cancel, just cancel online, (click the cancel box) fairly straightforward.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
football was around long before Sky arrived and there was plenty of football before the Premier league arrived.

Football would survive because the fans would make sure it did.

Well yes football existed as did rugby, hockey etc. And yes of course it would survive. But the reason the ticket prices are so high is because Sky made it more accessible to people outside its core market and demand went through the roof. You're actually blaming the wrong people: f you want ticket prices to go down you should be encouraging fans to boycott games and not pay the vastly inflated prices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here