Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GOUT!

GOUT!

0 Not allowed!
    GOUT. Just seen docs and looks like I've got it. Pretty severe pain through last night, couldn't sleep a wink. Anyone here had it? How long did it last, and what did you find helped ease the symptoms?

Cheers NSC.
    ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive *******s."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Had it for the first time a few months ago. Proper nasty.

I took a shitload of painkillers which sufficiently numbed it, but I hear cherry juice is meant to be a good remedy.
      This is not Nick Rhodes.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      How old are you?

My friend was recently told he had GOUT turned out to be an infection in the bone.

0 Not allowed!
      Calling @spongy.

He's yer man I believe
      Gone Wrong Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      I used to get it and still do very sporadically. You can expect it to last 5-10 days then disappear as quickly and usually as completely as it came.

My top tip is concentrated cherry juice from Holland & Barrett. It's not cheap but for me at least it's highly effective. Mix a tablespoon of it with natural yoghurt morning and night and it should help ease the pain considerably. Google suggests it may act pretty much the same way as ibuprofen does. At worst, you'll have some damn tasty yoghurts!

Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      GOUT. Just seen docs and looks like I've got it. Pretty severe pain through last night, couldn't sleep a wink. Anyone here had it? How long did it last, and what did you find helped ease the symptoms?

Cheers NSC.
      There was a thread about it a while back.

Get a blood test (if you haven't had one already) ASAP. Allopurinol works for me (I'm on 300mg a day). I had my first attack in 2010 and I've been on it ever since and touch wood I've only had a handful of incidents since then. Attacks could last from a few hours to a few days. All you can do when you have an attack is painkiller yourself up to the eyeballs and ride it out. Some people say cider vinegar helps, others cherries. I'm not sure on either to be honest.

Different people have different triggers for me sadly it's red meat especially beef. It's very rare for me to have roast beef or a steak these day. Other people its different things. A mate of mine can't touch dark beer or red wine any more. I know with some it's seafood. If you can narrow it down to diet it can be controlled.

0 Not allowed!
      Cherries or cherry juice is very good for the twist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      ( . ) ( . )
      Struggling for breath at the top of the stairs

0 Not allowed!
      Concentrated cherry juice may help, it does for me sometimes.

Depending on the severity of the attack, and indeed how frequently it could now occur, it will be worth going to the Doctor to be treated, the pain can become debilitating and can come on without warning in the space of hours.

The doctor will probably prescribe you, to start with, either Narproxen or Dicoflenac, Narproxen works for me.

If attacks persist your doctor will probably give you Aluprinol, which on it's own can cause a Gout attack so you will need to take Colchocine alongside to mask the Aluprinol, colchocine has a rather nasty side effect though.

Causes:
      De-hydration is a massive cause but certain foods will also trigger an attack, these foods you will come to learn and everyones triggers are different.

Mine include:
      Asparagus
      Cauliflower
      Kidney
      Liver
      Mussels
      Prawns
      Crab
      Marmite
      Bovril
      Mackerel
      Haribo.

Edit:
      Lager is fine, but any Dark beer is an almost instant (within 6 hours) trigger.
      I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own,
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Would echo a lot of what has been said. The foods to avoid are those that are high in purinols - mushrooms, turkey, (chicken is fine), pork, all seafood. Never felt pain like it so a little compromising re diet is a small price to pay! Good luck.