Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Members
    Bitterne,Southampton, close to the M27 and 65 miles from the Temple of Bloom.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it the winning? The feeling of belonging? A general love of football?

I was discussing this earlier with a couple of other Brighton fans and what we get out of supporting Brighton. For me, it's a great day out with like-minded mates where, quite often, the football is secondary and also sharing very special moments with my lads. The kind of times that money just can't buy.
    Everything you've said just about ticks all the boxes. In addition, there are two instances from last season that had me on Cloud 9. Both were matches that I missed (grrr!) for family commitments.

The first was the Sheffield Wednesday home game in January. I had to go to watch the Circe de Soleil at the Albert Hall. No mobile phones were allowed to be switched on so there was no way I could get score updates. Finally, the show ended at just gone 10.00pm - straight onto the mobile to find that we won 2-1. The feeling of euphoria lasted through a wonderful weekend of celebratory pints and internet catching up of the game.

The second was the QPR away game in April. I was stuck at Heathrow airport waiting for a flight to Mexico. I didn't dare look at my phone or any TV screens until 9.40., only to find that the match hadn't finished but we were 2-1 up. By this time we were boarding the plane just as the full time whistle blew. I tell you, whatever altitude that plane was flying I was higher. I knew then that promotion was won. An absolutely wonderful feeling - and I wasn't even at the game!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Funnily enough, I was having a pretty similar discussion with some Chinese locals this evening. They follow the usual suspects, and I was asking them how happy it would make them feel, if their respective teams won the elite competitions (in most cases, again). It really wouldn't make much of a difference was my reading.

I was explaining to them, that the excitement of knowing that one day, we might win an FA Cup, or qualify for a European competition is my equivalent. They couldn't understand this logic, and felt sorry for me!

Ok, I'm in Asia, but surely this logic remains true if you support Man Utd and have always lived in Burgess Hill? Does anyone have a good analogy that I could use, when trying to explain the difference in supporting your local team, vs a random one?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      Being part of the totally unpredictable and never boring journey that this club has been on in the 23 years I've supported it has been absolutely magnificent.
      Smells like fish, tastes like chicken.

0 Not allowed!
      The hours are pretty good.
      Sent from my Omsung A5 Phine
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Local Club
      Our story to the epl
      Singing home and away

1 Not allowed!
      The pride of being one of many who support their local team through good times and bad times (Apart from matchdays on NSC after a defeat or transfer windows when we haven't signed all the players NSC rate)
      No plastics here please!
      My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

My definition of a sad git is any Palarse fan who has posted more than 100 times on NSC.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by SIMMO SAYS View Post
      My old grandad used to take me on the bus around 1968 and stick me down the front of the chicken run.
      Nearly fifty years later I'm still a fanatic. We are both old but you are considerably older than me
      Must have been near you did you ever change the half time scores over the wall.
      THOSE IN GLASS PALACES SHOULD NOT THROW BRICKS

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
      Must have been near you did you ever change the half time scores over the wall.
      I can't remember what happened at Watford on Saturday
      You know I'm right

0 Not allowed!
      Born here, local club. Still can't take anyone seriously who supports one of the big clubs but has no connection to whichever City. Even when we were bottom of league 2 I'd shoot the glory hunting t***ts down just by shaming them with that tag.
      Tiptoe, through the North Stand,
      Wiv yer boots on......

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maltaseagull View Post
      The pride of being one of many who support their local team through good times and bad times (Apart from matchdays on NSC after a defeat or transfer windows when we haven't signed all the players NSC rate)
      No plastics here please!
      I was in your neck of the woods yesterday, big old ship called Norwegian Spirit. Went for a little run in my Albion training top; far to hot for that malarkey. I should have known better. Love Malta.
      Tiptoe, through the North Stand,
      Wiv yer boots on......