Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you most enjoy about supporting Brighton?

SReffs

Aug 11, 2017
This is my fourth season. I wanted to see some professional sport and was curious about the ground. I went to my first game when Hyypier was in charge. It was the most dire game I had ever seen and that's from a football novice. For all that I was hooked. I got to matches, work permitting. Last season I got a season ticket and managed to get to Newcastle, Notts Forest and Norwich away. I love the friendship and camaraderie and enjoying the social get together before and after the game. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Funnily enough, I was having a pretty similar discussion with some Chinese locals this evening. They follow the usual suspects, and I was asking them how happy it would make them feel, if their respective teams won the elite competitions (in most cases, again). It really wouldn't make much of a difference was my reading.

I was explaining to them, that the excitement of knowing that one day, we might win an FA Cup, or qualify for a European competition is my equivalent. They couldn't understand this logic, and felt sorry for me!

Ok, I'm in Asia, but surely this logic remains true if you support Man Utd and have always lived in Burgess Hill? Does anyone have a good analogy that I could use, when trying to explain the difference in supporting your local team, vs a random one?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

It's like winning the lottery, much more exciting if you are a pauper than a Billionaire.

paul-brighton

Jun 12, 2011
Sompting
The great Sir Bobby Robson sums it up perfectly for me

What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.
That brought a year to my eyes. I remember being that boy at the Goldstone with my Grandad.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
For me it is probably the escapism from the 9-5 and vicariously living out your schoolboy dreams.

I was born in Wimbledon and if my parents hadn't moved here when I was five I'd probably be getting on the tube every Saturday to one of the big London clubs.

Saw my first game in 73 but then didn't go again until early 76. Became a regular at the very start of the Mullery years and was hooked. Can't change my allegiance even if I wanted to. I'm not necessarily sure the war years would have made any difference. If things had been smoother I still would have been an Albion fan throughout. What it does do is make you appreciate the highs more than most fans of other clubs. Our ride, right back to Mullery has been entertaining to say the least!

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Just watching the cd of 2011/12 season - we have come an awful long way since then

Too many highlights between now and then to mention

Who was it we had in goal against Watford in April 2012?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Born in Brighton and is only team I will ever follow. Cannot remember last time Albion played and wasnt either watching or following on phone/computer Sometimes watch other games but so strange not caring who wins. Big plus we have owner /supporter. Will of course enjoy our time in premier league and only negative is that so many who cant afford season, can no longer pay the match day prices.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Moaning....I'm a joy in every other sense of my life :)

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Local, family, friends, awaydays, history, loyalty and of course....beating Palace!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Born in Brighton and is only team I will ever follow. Cannot remember last time Albion played and wasnt either watching or following on phone/computer Sometimes watch other games but so strange not caring who wins. Big plus we have owner /supporter. Will of course enjoy our time in premier league and only negative is that so many who cant afford season, can no longer pay the match day prices.

Pretty much this. And the bedwetting, of course.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Been thinking about this a little since we made the Prem as I've felt a lot less excited about being here than I thought I would and less involved in it than the last 20 years ups and downs. I started following the Albion in 1994, so it's mostly been the war years, and when we got promoted a little part of me felt like we'd done everything. The prospect of avoiding relegation maybe doesn't excite me as much as what's gone before? I dunno. I'm not having a pop at the premier league, modern football or anything like that, it's just how I feel at the moment. The last two seasons were so intense, they felt like one long one. For once in my life I was happy for the summer break.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Probably most of all, the comradeship, coming up to 50 years of shared experiences, some good, some not so good. The knowledge that if I walk in to a pub in a town or city where Brighton are playing there will almost certainly be people I know through that comradeship.

Second, the great oh so great moments, thankfully quite a few now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here